Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 05:42 PM

70 posts, read 157,313 times

Advertisements

I disagree with the previous poster who said there are not a lot of art/design opportunities in SF. While there are not a lot of entertainment jobs, there are a TON of ad agencies and design shops in SF (many more than are in LA, actually) that are always looking for freelance or full time graphic designers. If you work on that side of the industry and you have a decent portfolio you shouldn't have a problem getting freelance work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 05:17 PM

10 posts, read 8,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal-c View Post
I disagree with the previous poster who said there are not a lot of art/design opportunities in SF. While there are not a lot of entertainment jobs, there are a TON of ad agencies and design shops in SF (many more than are in LA, actually) that are always looking for freelance or full time graphic designers. If you work on that side of the industry and you have a decent portfolio you shouldn't have a problem getting freelance work.
That's kind of the vibe I got there as well, especially when talking with other creatives based there and in a similar field (screenprinting, rock posters, album art etc.). I'm also under the impression that people really don't step over each other's toes when it comes to freelancing etc. which will be a nice change from where I'm currently at!

Old 09-09-2011, 01:10 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,778,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilat View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! I've been coming across a lot of conflicting stuff as to what amount is 'enough', in order to live in San Francisco. Keeping in mind that I travel on foot/public transportation/bicycle and don't need a car and have generally very few financial needs (no fancy clothing, overpriced gadgets etc etc) there should be a lot of expenses 'cut' from what would be the norm for a livable paycheck. An average I could gather for a good salary was at about $2000 a month after taxes.
Do you mean you've been told that $2000/month is a "good" salary for San Francisco? This is not the case at all. Most if not all of that would be spent on rent, leaving you nothing else.

Quote:
Didn't really like Oakland that much, but I think I saw mostly the slummy side.
I hate to disappoint you, but if you consider Oakland slummy, your $1800/month income is definitely not going to get you the kind of apartment you would like in San Francisco, unless you want to rent a tiny studio.

It sounds like you really want to live in SF, and I sympathasize with you, but the only way you could make it work on your budget is to rent a "slummy" apartment. Even then, more than half your income would be spent on rent and utilities and you'd be left holding only $500 or $600 for everything else: food, internet, medical, cell phone, renter's insurance, transportation, etc etc. Unless you are extremely tight and very good at budgeting, this won't be enough.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:07 PM

Well, I heard that two people making $2000 each would be 'good', dividing rent in a one bedroom etc. Still doing a lot of research though. Also, I can't speak about Oakland, just the parts I saw seemed slummy - I'm sure there are far better places (and have been locating plenty from this board) and will certainly look into it as an initial option.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:10 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
A 1br in SF is going to be around $1600-1900 depending on how successful you are at negotiating the hordes of people applying for 1 bedrooms. An $1800 apartment would cost the two of you $900 each, that is nearly 50% of your "$2000 salary" you are considering. Meanwhile you could get that same 1br for around $1100-1300 in Rockridge in Oakland, which would be $550 to $650 each, which is more manageable. I posted some pics of Rockridge a while back, they aren't great but maybe give a flavor for the area:

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...d-pics-42.html

I think you could get by paying $800-900 each in rent and feel fairly comfortable but only if you don't go below about $2000 in take home (after tax) income each and if you don't have a car. You'd have to be frugal though and it might be too tight for you. Personally if I was a freelancer and wasn't 100% sure what income I'd get every month I'd try to live somewhere cheaper like Oakland so you'd have more breathing room if you had a bad month or two.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:13 PM

All of the above are extremely valid points. In fact, Oakland is looking even more like a possibility the more I research into it. Shame that the only times I had to go there (for a couple of concerts) happened to be in slummy areas, making for bad first impressions. The rent certainly sounds more affordable and reasonable, and Oakland seems like a great place, at least for starting off. Many many thanks for the sound advice!

Old 09-14-2011, 01:26 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,494 times
One issue you might want to consider is qualifying to rent. My husband and I are both self-employed, too, but everyplace wants to see pay stubs or a job offer. Different managers had different methods for proof of being ability to pay. At the very least you will need excellent credit scores, most places. Some accepted tax returns, or bank statements too.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:08 PM

4 posts, read 3,510 times
I grew up in SF bay and left. haha. Hmm well it depends on what you like. SF is expensive....small...not outdoorsy...good cuisine. Quirky.Most people that grew up around there never want to venture to SF. I sort of feel SF is more for foreign people....they see it for everything it is rreally not. I mean honestly...you live to work there. Life is work. and living in a small hole with your sig other. It is very overcast. I feel the hype is way out of control. It really is NOT THAT GREAT! It is a nice city....a nice place to visit....and a great place to get dinner/drinks. But it is not worth the price it offers. Try Seattle instead. Or if you want sunny move to LA. If you love the sun...forget BOTH SF and SEATTLE.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:11 PM

Do not move to Oakland it is generally ****ty. Bay bridge is $8 to cross and you won't ever want to cross that bridge as the traffic accross it is horrible. Especially with the economy...don't do it. Try Burlingame (10 minutes south of SF)...its ritsy, fun, and has good restaurants/ambience. do Burlingame if the SF bay area is a must for you.

Old 09-18-2011, 10:19 PM

If you live in Oakland or anywhere outside SF you will need a car or you will be paying $4 one way on BART...$8 everytime you ride bart. Your salary is way too low for SF...I'm sorryy it would be more of a strain than fun ....that is what a cashier makes at Safeway in Bay Area. I know it sounds ridiculous because it is! You have to make quite a bit of money just to breathe in SF. This is why everyone I know left to seek a normal life not worrying about financial status so much....where you can survive off of $20/hr )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland