Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2011, 09:42 PM

33 posts, read 133,752 times

Advertisements

My husband works in San Francisco in the Financial District and we’re considering a move to Fairfax or San Anselmo in Marin. I’m trying to gather a list of transportation options for his commute (fortunately only 3 days a week). Here’s what I came up with. Can you add anything to it?

1. Take a Golden Gate Transit bus
2. Drive to the Larkspur Ferry terminal and take the ferry.
3. Drive, which we’d rather avoid

Some things I looked into but don’t seem to exist:
1. Amtrak service
2. Casual Carpool/other carpooling (tried eRideShare.com Carpool / Rideshare Community as well)
3. Private commuter buses (Bauers looks like it launched a Marin-SF route in 2009, but it’s no longer on their site—must have closed it)
4. Zeppelin (no stops in Marin)

If any of you take the Golden Gate Transit buses in the morning, how crowded do they get?

Ok yes I’m just kidding around about the zeppelin but wouldn’t that be cool if Airship Ventures provided commuter service
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 09:50 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,033,761 times
There must be some kind of internet service to coordinate carpoolers. You could even advertise on craigslist.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:54 PM

Hi Charles, yes, there are some great carpooling services in the Bay Area, like Casual Carpool and erideshare. Unfortunately, I didn't see any existing carpools to the area we're considering. But that's a good point, he could potentially start his own and see if there's a demand.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:15 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
If you want better commuting options then don't live in Marin. From there, buses, ferries and driving are your only alternatives, and the bridge and 101 in general in Marin and SF are crappy. BART is pretty damn convenient in the East Bay but keep in mind it is very expensive.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:32 PM

Thanks, Mayorhaggar, but I have very personal reasons for considering this move. That's why I didn't say "should I move to Marin" but rather, "What are my options for commuting?"

I currently live in the East Bay and yes, it's very convenient. We like Transbay buses, too, as they're closer to our house than BART.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:00 PM

86 posts, read 247,097 times
The drawback to commuting to SF from San Anselmo or Fairfax is the long drive on Sir Francis Drake Blvd to 101. Once you get to the freeway the commute traffic moves fine (bus goes in carpool lane) and the toll plaza is not backed up because most use Fastrack.

GGT bus has reading lights, recliner seats, tray tables, overhead rack heck everything but the bag of peanuts. Many SF employers offer tax-advantaged commuter checks that help pay the cost of the transit pass. If you ride the bus you can sleep, read, listen to music but please don't yack on your cell phone and you can relax and let someone else drive and be pleased that you are using energy-efficient transportation. Passengers are bland compared to colorful Muni riders and the drivers are very courteous.

A train across the bay? Now that would be an engineering challenge. When BART was being organized in the 60's and now Marin did not does not have the population to support it.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:09 PM

Thanks, Carlos, that's really helpful! The GGT buses sound like AC Transit's Transbay buses--pretty nice, much easier than driving. He can often get work done on his laptop while he's on the bus, making for a shorter day in the office.

I am a 100% remote worker, lucky me, so I don't have to go anywhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland