Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 03:24 PM

6 posts, read 6,091 times

Advertisements

Thanks again, just to clarify things I am not looking to have the luxurious facilities, I am more wondering why some places (like the Rockridge Hudson one you pointed out) don't have a deeper discount as compared to the ones that do have such things.

Would you give a little more info regarding apartment complexes in Walnut Creek? That's certainly something I am interested in exploring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 03:49 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Well a 1br in a new "condo-style" building somewhere like Mission Bay probably goes for like $3000-4000 a month, maybe $2500 at the very least. And a 1br in SF in an older building with just a few units (most apt blgs in SF are probably around 3 to 10 units) with MAYBE a coin-op washer/drier in the basement and certainly no amenities like pool/gym/etc, that would go for more like $1600-2000 a month.

The inner Bay Area just does not have that much new development. Most of the land is already built on and it's expensive and difficult to tear down old buildings and replace them with fancy new ones. In about the last 5 years there have been some new condo-style buildings, in SF they are mainly around Mission Bay and the ballpark, but again they're really expensive. Oakland has a few new buildings around downtown, they are cheaper than any in SF because, well, pretty much anything in Oakland is cheaper than SF, and downtown Oakland like I said can be pretty dumpy on some blocks. Rockridge is more expensive in general but if there was a new condo-style building put up there (this would never happen) you can bet it would be really expensive.

So to answer your question, any of these new condo-style buildings will be more expensive than a bare-bones apartment in the same neighborhood. Again though if you get into more suburban areas like Walnut Creek you'll see those big sprawling Socal-style complexes which are more geared to the middle class. I don't think the prices are that different from prices in Oakland. But you'd definitely want a car in Walnut Creek so keep that in mind.

$1400 seems kind of high for Rockridge but it's still cheaper than SF and Hudson has really nice blocks, it's probably a 5 to 8 minute walk to BART and Trader Joe's. I think the $1100-1200 1br's are a better deal. A 2br under $1600 would be a good deal but like I said it looks like there aren't any.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by secret2 View Post
@jade408: Thanks, Lakeside does look weird, especially since my expectation was quite high before visiting. I'll however pass Adam's Point, I have no intention to drive at this point and it is quite remote from public transport.
It is actually not too bad. Let's say you lived at Grand and Perkins. You have around a 10 minute walk to 19th St Bart. The NL and the 12 go by there. The 57 is around a 10 minute walk and it connects to Macarthur BART. If you live off Vernon, your odds are a little better. You are probably pretty close to the P and the 11. Basically everything should be in a 15 minute walk or less. Be sure to check out Transit.511.org.
In terms of transit connectivity, your best bets are Uptown, Rockridge, Piedmont Ave (around 40th and Howe), and Temescal (not too far from Telegraph on the east side). These areas have the buses with the highest freqeuncy and 7-day a week all day service. Or downtown Berkeley (which i think is overpriced) or Elmwood, or around North Berkeley BART.
Quote:
Does you friend tell you whether the quality of life is good in those apartments though?
They like it well enough. Good location. Sounds like there is parking space drama, and the usual mix of good neighbors and losers you find in big buildings. These are the most expensive and newest apartments in Oakland.
Quote:
@theh: I have also been checking, don't mind Lafayette/Walnut Creek, but the rent is not cheaper there and buildings tend to be not in good condition from the pictures (you can only imagine the real thing is even worse). Also I prefer that I live in an area that feels different from where I work. Having said that I have not ruled out the possibility.
Those places aren't super walker friendly. Transit doesn't go around town much.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret2 View Post
Thanks again, just to clarify things I am not looking to have the luxurious facilities, I am more wondering why some places (like the Rockridge Hudson one you pointed out) don't have a deeper discount as compared to the ones that do have such things.
There are a few buildings in Adam's Point/Piedmont Ave/edge of Rockridge with pools. I think they are all condos though so there isn't much inventory. There is one around Vernon and Santa Clara, one on Jayne, one on Whitmore/Pleasant Valley. I believe that the building on Piedmont Ave/Macarthur also has a few amenities. I haven't been in any of these buildings.

If you live in Walnut Creek, you will absolutely want a car. Outside of downtown it isn't very walkable. And since it regularly gets in the 90s in the summer, you wouldn't want to walk too far in that level of heat.

Generally in Oakland you are trading newness for an up and coming neighborhood, and established nicer neighborhoods don't have much new development.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post

I figured that "Parkwood" place is a scam because it shows a picture of a luxury apartment building like you'd never see in Oakland and if you click on the map of its supposed location it's just a bunch of dirt next to the road.
Parkwoods is that huge complex right by Highway 24. Probably the worst possible location in Rockridge! You are so far from College and transit. For driving only. They've been condo for about 10 years and they are having trouble reselling with all of the Tunnel construction.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:24 PM

6 posts, read 6,091 times
I have narrowed down to a few possibilities: (Feel free to comment)

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa/2587324489.html (broken link)
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa/2578759497.html (broken link)
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa/2579003120.html (broken link)
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa/2577556847.html (broken link)
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa/2584562810.html (broken link)

Old 09-08-2011, 02:24 PM

They all look decent and at good prices, other than the studio for $1300 but if it's decent-sized and a nice place it might be alright. Keep in mind though that if you're really close to BART, that means you'd get a lot of noise from the trains and from highway 24. I am a 15 minute walk from the BART station and I can still hear it passing by, and the trains often sound their horns when they enter the stations. And Highway 24 is pretty damn noisy too because it's elevated and runs through the whole neighborhood, so try not to be right under it. I'm a good mile from the highway but it sounds like it's right outside because my apartment is elevated a bit and there's nothing between my windows and the highway so the noise really travels. Also Upper Rockridge is generally the area on hilly slopes east of Broadway, it might be hillier than you'd like especially without a car, walking up a hill with groceries is a pain. The area between Telegraph and Broadway is really flat for the most part.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:27 PM

This place looks pretty awesome:

Brown shingle garden cottage (http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa/2587644861.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland