Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 12:10 AM

125 posts, read 169,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
The problem with what you're saying is the fact that just because YOU THINK employers SHOULD hire the older, more experienced person, it doesn't really seem to be the case anymore. It's just the way it is now.

For many reasons, employers in this field want to hire young, inexperienced workaholics with an impressive University degree. Underpaid? Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't really matter. It's just the nature of work here and in this day and age.
I find it hard to believe that EVERY business in SF is "tech". There must be a lot of the ordinary, prosaic stuff that every city has and does, as well.

That said, I get your point---younger workers are hired because their employers can more easily abuse them. I would, in fact, tell my boss gently but firmly that I had a life, and I wasn't willing to work two or three extra unpaid hours at the end of every day. The young guy might just suck it up because he thinks that bending over will advance his career.

If the City is, as you say, filling up with tech kiddies, then the place isn't worth moving to--not with the cost of living being so astronomical. Sigh. The City used to be such an incredible place. People ruin everything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 12:48 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkl654321 View Post
I find it hard to believe that EVERY business in SF is "tech". There must be a lot of the ordinary, prosaic stuff that every city has and does, as well.

That said, I get your point---younger workers are hired because their employers can more easily abuse them. I would, in fact, tell my boss gently but firmly that I had a life, and I wasn't willing to work two or three extra unpaid hours at the end of every day. The young guy might just suck it up because he thinks that bending over will advance his career.

If the City is, as you say, filling up with tech kiddies, then the place isn't worth moving to--not with the cost of living being so astronomical. Sigh. The City used to be such an incredible place. People ruin everything.
Honestly, after reading through all this... you really should stay where you are. It sounds like you're in violently delusional conflict with reality.

Old 09-11-2011, 02:14 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
In case you missed it. The growing business in SF are tech and health care. It looks like you have skills in neither. And the other jobs are pretty few and far between. If you really want to move here, you are going to need to start networking. Most jobs get several hundred applicants. You have nothing to stand out at this point. The only way to get noticed is to have a personal connection.

I had 50 applicants for a low paying internship at an organization with zero prestige and a crapy location. Multiple this by a factor of 8 in a prime or not so prime SF location.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:46 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,988,712 times
Quote:

Of course not all businesses are tech. It's just where the bulk of the jobs are in the Bay Area. I know lawyers that are currently struggling...teachers...small business owners...retail...restaurants..construction...none are actively seeking people en masse.

You asked a simple question and many of us are giving you honest answers. I really don't understand why you're begrudging everyone. My husband is over 40 and is in the tech sector..has been since the early 90's. When he felt that his age was becoming more of a hindrance, he started back up to work on his advanced degree to make himself stand out more in the tough economy.

It's about keeping up and advancing your skill set when needed. We live in a workaholic culture and if the younger folks want to work their butts off to get ahead, then so be it. Many new graduates are incredibly grateful to have a job in their chosen field and be able to get ahead and prove themselves even if it means "being abused" (or whatever you believe is happening). Your anger and frustration is misguided. If you don't like the way it is, then do something about it and quit whining. The culture isn't going to change just because you personally don't believe that it's fair.

Old 09-11-2011, 11:56 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
We own our own business (janitorial at condo complexes) and we get to see our bad economy in action close up. A number of people our age (early 50's like you) are unemployed at the building I service, and are in foreclosure (mortgage companies won't pull the trigger and foreclose, because they have to start paying the HOA dues, and if things aren't selling, that means the mortgage companies lose even more money) and this time, it isn't subprime wacky bad mortgages.....

This time it's long term unemployed/chronic underemployed.

We moved out here in 1984, young faced and ready for a future with three thousand dollars to our names, and now we own and operate a janitorial business, so I'm not afraid of hard work and I'm willing to take chances ..... but right now, trust and believe me when I say there is no work.

One of my residents told me there was a job opening that she applied for three times and went through an extensive interview process three times. The job listing has been up for over two years, and is still up and not filled. Why they are still advertising for a position they obviously have no intention of filling is beyond me, but but they are.

Oh -- and before we opened this company in 1998, husband was unemployed for well over a year -- the age discrimination was starting then. He was 38.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
You asked a simple question and many of us are giving you honest answers. I really don't understand why you're begrudging everyone. My husband is over 40 and is in the tech sector..has been since the early 90's. When he felt that his age was becoming more of a hindrance, he started back up to work on his advanced degree to make himself stand out more in the tough economy.

It's about keeping up and advancing your skill set when needed. We live in a workaholic culture and if the younger folks want to work their butts off to get ahead, then so be it. Many new graduates are incredibly grateful to have a job in their chosen field and be able to get ahead and prove themselves even if it means "being abused" (or whatever you believe is happening). Your anger and frustration is misguided. If you don't like the way it is, then do something about it and quit whining. The culture isn't going to change just because you personally don't believe that it's fair.
Since I have no idea who you are, I have no reason to put any credence in your "scolding". Note that I never said that anything about the hiring and work culture was going to change. I find it ludicrous that I cannot even get to the interview stage so far--I DO have useful talents. Hooray for your hubby, but as you say, he DOES work in the tech sector--so, as other posters have noted, he's in a hot field where all the jobs are. So the fact that he's overcome whatever obstacles may exist for him doesn't mean much, not when compared with my situation. But a LOT of people make arguments like this: MY (cousin, uncle, son, parakeet, dog) has a job, so there's really no such thing as unemployment.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Honestly, after reading through all this... you really should stay where you are. It sounds like you're in violently delusional conflict with reality.
Do you believe that this comment was helpful in any way? Do you believe that what you said is true, i.e., that I'm insane? And most importantly, would you ever say something like this to my or anyone else's face?

God, I love the internet!

Old 09-11-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
In case you missed it. The growing business in SF are tech and health care. It looks like you have skills in neither. And the other jobs are pretty few and far between. If you really want to move here, you are going to need to start networking. Most jobs get several hundred applicants. You have nothing to stand out at this point. The only way to get noticed is to have a personal connection.
So what you're saying is that people don't get hired on merit, but rather, on whom they know, and on whom they've kissed, and where.

That explains a lot in terms of the horribly bad products and services that are being turned out by the tech sector.

I doubt that it would be possible to develop a meaningful set of contacts remotely, and it would take a fair amount of time to move there and then develop them. Frankly, it's beginning to sound like I wouldn't want to move to SF after all. I don't really want to be surrounded by a cloud of illiterate internet tech kiddies, and furthermore, if the irascibility of some of the responders here (at least, as evidenced by their posts) is typical of the average SF resident, it means that living there is more stressful than I thought.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
This time it's long term unemployed/chronic underemployed.

Oh -- and before we opened this company in 1998, husband was unemployed for well over a year -- the age discrimination was starting then. He was 38.
Thanks for an atypically helpful response (for this forum, not for you personally; I appreciate that rather than being scolded or told that I'm insane for my idea that a college graduate with 25 years' work experience ought to be able to get SOME kind of job, I've received some realistic advice).

I do wonder just what all these people who apparently are employment-proof are supposed to do--curl up and die? Something in this country is seriously out of joint, and I'm not referring to the economy. If companies are shunning experienced, competent workers and hiring only small babies whose sole experience of the world is that which is viewed on the screen of an IPhone, then that's the real problem.

Boy, I wish I had some capital and could start a business and hire all those 50+-year-old workplace pariahs. They'd be the best workers in the world.

Old 09-11-2011, 01:17 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
Quote:
Thanks for an atypically helpful response (for this forum, not for you personally; I appreciate that rather than being scolded or told that I'm insane for my idea that a college graduate with 25 years' work experience ought to be able to get SOME kind of job, I've received some realistic advice).

I do wonder just what all these people who apparently are employment-proof are supposed to do--curl up and die? Something in this country is seriously out of joint, and I'm not referring to the economy. If companies are shunning experienced, competent workers and hiring only small babies whose sole experience of the world is that which is viewed on the screen of an IPhone, then that's the real problem.

Boy, I wish I had some capital and could start a business and hire all those 50+-year-old workplace pariahs. They'd be the best workers in the world.
I don't know. And, to be honest, it's scary as hell.

It's not for everyone; we opened our own business. BUT -- we had an "in". The day my husband got his two week layoff notice, he called a friend with a janitorial business who had just gotten a call from one of his workers, giving notice, because his wife just had a massive heart attack and he was going to really retire and take care of her.

And, after over a year of no luck finding employment and working for our friend, a contract came up in a building, and Hubs asked to put in a bid... and our company was born.

But working your own company isn't for everyone. There's way too much ease in schedules, so if you lack structure (or work ethic), you'll fail; you have to be responsible for paying your taxes and holding back some money from all your checks to do so.... and you have to be able to strike a balance, or you'll end up working 24/7...

We're really glad we did it, but also -- we're getting achy. Hubs has rheumatoid athritis in his hands, our backs hurt, our knees hurt.... and we don't know how much longer we can do this -- might be time to hire -- which is a whole new set of problems.

Or retire.... which we are not ready to do, mentally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland