Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 04:13 AM

399 posts, read 1,549,876 times

Advertisements

I am in Santa Monica, but from Indiana, meaning my experience here in California is limited to a few trips in the area, Southern California mostly, and a stay in my military days in Travis AFB overnight while awaiting a free flight to HI...(Short Answer: Limited Viewpoint)

I am soon to get a TAG (Transfer Admission Guarantee) and am bouncing back and forth from UCSD, UCLA (I presently live 1 mile away) and Berkeley or Cal or Whatever you call it these days...I agree with one poster, UCB...no.

So here's where you come in...let's have some fun with this...Give me 5 Reasons to choose Berkeley, besides the obvious academic excellence, because let's be honest, somebody from the Midwest is in awe at all three locations! However, I have wanted to see the Bay Area, but this could be done with the amazing train in a few years.

Please be nice...I love school spirit, but also believe in a good attitude. And before I get the grumbles from locals about "another damn student" I am 33, and a Veteran, choosing where to drop my final 14 months of GI Bill. I have a 3.23 now, but that's because of a bad Spring Semester, that I am retaking. No worries there. I should leave Santa Monica College with a TAG and a 3.8.

So...We're off...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2011, 04:16 AM

399 posts, read 1,549,876 times
To be fair...here is my top 5...

1. The Bay Area location: To get the whole CA experience, I feel I need to live North as well.
2. Academic Integrity, Research, and "bang for the buck"
3. I love living near hills, and outdoor people. I also love to run.
4. My plan is definitely to pursue MA/S and possibly teach, seems like a no-brainer from what I've read.
5. I love to travel, and I love a liberal-minded atmosphere that is balanced, so you get true viewpoints.

Old 09-18-2011, 08:17 AM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,955 times
Personally, I'd choose UCLA but the number one thing going for up here is the weather.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:22 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
1. Cal has a better football team and soon, a remodeled stadium with a fabulous view.
2. It's just across the bay from one of the greatest cities.
3. The beauty of the campus.
4. The food culture. Berkeley was the birthplace of the California food movement.
5. The status of going to the best university in the world (at least according to my rankings).

Number 6 would be you'll be able to say you went to the same school as CAVA.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 09-18-2011 at 09:33 AM..

Old 09-18-2011, 09:42 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,383,617 times
F YEAH, BERKELEY STUDENT BEAR!

The meme's on this site pretty much describe my Berkeley experience pretty well. Here's a great one you should look out for:

I just graduated not too long ago, and if things work out, might be back for Grad School. If you have any questions, shoot me a PM. Even though I rib Berkeley a lot, I find myself nowadays sort of missing it. Here's my top 5

1) Location location location: the Bay Area is truly beautiful, and the views from the hills are fantastic
2) Great foodie destination. I miss the great food options in the area that are near each other
3) Academic notoriety: Some of the people here, from professors to students, are some of the smartest you'll ever meet
4) Attitude: It's pretty laid back OUTSIDE of Finals week. During Finals week..yeah...no...haha!
5) Cost effectiveness: You get a GREAT education at a public school price. What more can you ask for?

GO BEARS!

Old 09-18-2011, 11:12 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Cal is great. What do you plan to study? Engineering, economics, biology and business majors are very competitive. Meaning students will claw all over each other to stay at the top and may not be very friendly. I can think of plenty of people who had horrible experiences since people wouldn't share notes and stuff.

The Cal experience is what you make of it, and works best for people who are proactive (socially and academically).

Old 09-18-2011, 12:19 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,277,565 times
I was under the impression that TAG didn't apply to UCLA and Cal since they are so competitive...

A 3.8, while a good GPA, might not be enough to get you in these days.

At any rate, if you DO get in, go to Cal. It has the best reputation of the three and you'd get to live in the East Bay

Old 09-18-2011, 11:25 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,161,734 times
1) It's the best public university in the country
2)"
3)"
4)"
5)networking

Old 09-19-2011, 06:40 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,246 times
1. Women don't have to shave their armpits.
2. Women look like men.
3. Pink is the cities color.
4. There is no such thing as a crime.
5. Anything goes. No rules or regulations.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:47 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,251,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
1. Women don't have to shave their armpits.
2. Women look like men.
3. Pink is the cities color.
4. There is no such thing as a crime.
5. Anything goes. No rules or regulations.
6. Phil couldn't get in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland