Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 09:01 PM

123 posts, read 289,390 times

Advertisements

OK, I'm already shopping for my future Oakland apartment! I find that the stores I'm used to here in Florida are not found in CA. So what are the affordable furniture stores a person with an average budget would shop at (besides Ikea)? I'll need to furnish my entire apartment as I'm not taking any of the current furniture I have. TIA all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 11:33 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotoliveoil View Post
OK, I'm already shopping for my future Oakland apartment! I find that the stores I'm used to here in Florida are not found in CA. So what are the affordable furniture stores a person with an average budget would shop at (besides Ikea)? I'll need to furnish my entire apartment as I'm not taking any of the current furniture I have. TIA all!
Costco.com - Really good quality and most large furniture comes with free shipping and white glove service (free setup and trash removal). I'm buying new furniture for my condo in San Francisco right now. Otherwise, check yelp.com for furniture stores. However, I find the prices at most places in the area so expensive (besides IKEA).

Old 09-03-2011, 02:21 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
  • EQ3: You go here when you graduate from Ikea. Ranges from moderate to expensive prices (Emeryville)
    Scandinavian Designs: Another Modern place that is similar in style to Ikea but better quality. More than Ikea, less than West Elm (Berkleey)
  • Fenton McLaren: Well prices wood furniture. Avoid the Rockridge store if you want deals (3 stores in Oakland and Berkeley)
  • My current favorite: Sitcom Outlet (it is in Oakland), a contract furniture makers factory outlet. Great deals, but hit or miss. I got a chair for a steal at $150. For a few weeks they had king beds for $100. Sign up for the newsletter, and they have occasional groupon deals!
  • Crate and Barrel outlet (Berkeley)

There are also great consignment stores. You can try Uhuru Furniture in GrandLake. A friend got a couch, a dresser and 2 bookshelves for under $100 delivered! (Not kidding!)

You can also hunt craigslist for deals.

Have you ever looked at the Apartment Therapy website? Great ideas there on decorating, furniture deals, and living in small spaces.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:58 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Ikea, Target, Craigslist.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:37 AM

Thank you all for your replies!!!

Are you guys familiar with Florida furniture stores Rooms to Go and City Furniture? I was thinking of stores along those lines...sort of like Ashley Furniture but less expensive...

Thanks for mentioning Yelp.com. I hadn't even thought of that!

Thanks again, everyone!

Old 09-03-2011, 09:59 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
There's a Home Goods in Lafayette or Moraga. Oddly, there aren't many furniture chains, but lots of indie places.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There's a Home Goods in Lafayette or Moraga. Oddly, there aren't many furniture chains, but lots of indie places.
Oh am I happy to learn there's a Homegoods in the area. Just this week I've been to Homegoods 3 times! hahah

Thanks for your help. I'm seeing that I'm going to need a bigger furniture budget than first thought!

Old 09-03-2011, 03:10 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,078,817 times
Really, Ikea is really pretty cheap and their stuff is nice and fairly durable. For smaller things like garbage bins or laundry baskets or whatever Target is good and cheap.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Really, Ikea is really pretty cheap and their stuff is nice and fairly durable. For smaller things like garbage bins or laundry baskets or whatever Target is good and cheap.
Yes, Ikea is cheap and I have lots of stuff from there. Actually the only piece of furniture I'm taking with me is my TV unit from Ikea. But none of their sofas suit me. Though my sofa is actually new since I just bought it in March, it's not a sleeper sofa. So I want to give this one to my mom and get a sleeper sofa.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions!

Old 09-03-2011, 04:23 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,259,230 times
We also have Tuesday Mornings out here -- same thing as Homegoods, but probably a little more upscale.

Near East Oakland, we have Kantor's Furniture on Hegenberger Loop, and also Roney's in San Leandro -- both nice places that sell nice stuff.

I've also had great luck at Hoot Judkins in San Bruno.....bought my very nice desk there at a very fair price.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland