Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 12:47 PM

203 posts, read 428,201 times

Advertisements

In the recent headlines:

"S.F. woman stabs home intruder to death"
S.F. woman stabs home intruder to death

"Boy, 14, slain on S.S.F. street"
Boy, 14, slain on South San Francisco street

"SFPD Officers Shoot at Suspected Drug Dealer, Hit Bystanders Instead"
SFPD Officers Shoot at Suspected Drug Dealer, Hit Bystanders Instead: SFist

"Sunset District Homicide"
Sunset District Homicide: SFist

"SFist Blotter: Man Beaten Almost to Death at Civic Center Hotel, Oakland Stabbing/Fire Victims ID'd"
SFist Blotter: Man Beaten Almost to Death at Civic Center Hotel, Oakland Stabbing/Fire Victims ID'd: SFist

Geesh, headline news is covered with terrible news, headline after headline. Not sure if this is something recent or if this is typical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 01:52 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC809 View Post
In the recent headlines:

"S.F. woman stabs home intruder to death"
S.F. woman stabs home intruder to death

"Boy, 14, slain on S.S.F. street"
Boy, 14, slain on South San Francisco street

"SFPD Officers Shoot at Suspected Drug Dealer, Hit Bystanders Instead"
SFPD Officers Shoot at Suspected Drug Dealer, Hit Bystanders Instead: SFist

"Sunset District Homicide"
Sunset District Homicide: SFist

"SFist Blotter: Man Beaten Almost to Death at Civic Center Hotel, Oakland Stabbing/Fire Victims ID'd"
SFist Blotter: Man Beaten Almost to Death at Civic Center Hotel, Oakland Stabbing/Fire Victims ID'd: SFist

Geesh, headline news is covered with terrible news, headline after headline. Not sure if this is something recent or if this is typical?
Yeah, it's pretty typical. What you've never heard of violent crime before? It happens everywhere. The Bay Area as a whole has a more or less average violent crime rate compared to other metros. The SF-Oakland-Fremont MSA (which is one subregion of the Bay Area) however is somewhat violent compared to most other US metros, as of the latest stats i can find on the MSA level (which are from 2006), whereas the other MSAs in the Bay Area fare better (such as San Jose, Napa, Santa Rosa, etc). SF and Oakland themselves have relatively high violent crime rates compared to other big US cities (especially Oakland), as do some suburbs (Richmond, Vallejo, East Palo Alto, Antioch, etc). But all of these places have nice areas too...especially SF and Oakland.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:00 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,074,702 times
Seems like after a couple quiet years things are heating up again in the Mission and in East Oakland. I imagine the economy being crappy, police departments getting slashed, and possibly the drug wars in Northern Mexico have something to do with it.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:17 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Mexi drug wars are definitely spilling over the border.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:58 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
DANG! That's a "Bad cop! No donut!" story if ever I heard one. One of the first things those of us who live where we can get concealed carry permits keep in mind is that if you have to shoot, be aware of your target and what's beyond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Seems like after a couple quiet years things are heating up again in the Mission and in East Oakland. I imagine the economy being crappy, police departments getting slashed, and possibly the drug wars in Northern Mexico have something to do with it.
I imagine you're quite correct.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:52 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
DANG! That's a "Bad cop! No donut!" story if ever I heard one. One of the first things those of us who live where we can get concealed carry permits keep in mind is that if you have to shoot, be aware of your target and what's beyond!

I imagine you're quite correct.
For real. I think this is one of the best "keystone cops moments" I've seen yet from the SFPD. The dead body they left in a van in an impound lot for a month after they somehow failed to find it even after specifically looking for it with cadaver dogs is another good one. They also have an evidence warehouse that used to be overrun with feral cats, which is up there for facepalm-inducing incidents as well.

Last edited by rah; 09-20-2011 at 01:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland