Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 04:50 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,054,023 times

Advertisements

Oops, I meant prop 184, the 3 strikes law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 04:56 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,143,835 times
Check out the violent crime rates in every city in California pre 3 strikes law. Look at the violent crime rates in these cities post 3 strikes law. Tell me if you see a correlation.

And before you even begin to start that ooh the poor non violent drug offenders BS, take a look at prop 36, we give them the option of treatment.

3 Strikes law allows us to keep animals locked up in the zoo, where they belong.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:05 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
3 Strikes law allows us to keep animals locked up in the zoo, where they belong.
Actually, the 3 strikes law doesn't really "allow" for anything. It's always been possible to lock people up forever, only now there is no choice even if it's not necessarily warranted. It's a stupid law and everyone knows it. We should never have laws that take human logic out of the equation. Never.

That said, this guy needs to go away for as long as humanly possible.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:03 PM

457 posts, read 1,180,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Actually, the 3 strikes law doesn't really "allow" for anything. It's always been possible to lock people up forever, only now there is no choice even if it's not necessarily warranted. It's a stupid law and everyone knows it. We should never have laws that take human logic out of the equation. Never.

Really?

Do any of the people against three strikes law have any idea how hard it is to actually get sent to prison? It's very, very, very, hard. Most get time served for their crimes or if they are "heinous" they might get "felony local time." That means they do about 6 months in the local count jail.

I think if you commit a serious enough offense ie: robbery / recklessly evading police etc it should be a life sentence on that alone. If someone is willing to threaten or attempt to take a life he/she is no longer needed in this society.

I would think that it is a very small portion of people who really get rehabilitated. The recidivism rate is so high because obviously the "rehabilitation" method does not work.

Ceece have you ever been the victim of crime? Well, I have. I would be willing to bet you a paycheck of mine, even though they are small, the person who committed the crime should have already been locked up for a crime they committed.

I would like to add this about this case as well. Why was this guy even allowed to be on the same streets as the innocent victims in this case? If he was in a cage where he should have been this would have never happened...Think about that one with your logic.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:25 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,707,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post
Really?

Do any of the people against three strikes law have any idea how hard it is to actually get sent to prison? It's very, very, very, hard. Most get time served for their crimes or if they are "heinous" they might get "felony local time." That means they do about 6 months in the local count jail.

I think if you commit a serious enough offense ie: robbery / recklessly evading police etc it should be a life sentence on that alone. If someone is willing to threaten or attempt to take a life he/she is no longer needed in this society.

I would think that it is a very small portion of people who really get rehabilitated. The recidivism rate is so high because obviously the "rehabilitation" method does not work.

Ceece have you ever been the victim of crime? Well, I have. I would be willing to bet you a paycheck of mine, even though they are small, the person who committed the crime should have already been locked up for a crime they committed.

I would like to add this about this case as well. Why was this guy even allowed to be on the same streets as the innocent victims in this case? If he was in a cage where he should have been this would have never happened...Think about that one with your logic.

The recidivism rate is high because rehabilitation is not being practiced. If you consider incarceration "rehabiliation" then I invite you to spend a month in prison and tell us what you learned afterwards. Most people learn that there is nothing running those prisons but testosterone; if you're perceived as "weak", you're a guaranteed target. People who live in that testosterone-ran hellhole for long periods of time are as scarred by it as a war veteran is by war; you can never really "rehabilitate" from that, let alone the crime you committed. The current prison system is flawed... crazies like the guy we're talking about shouldn't be in the general prison population. There should be subdivisions within the prison system that place people who've committed similar offenses with each other instead of placing murderers with drug offenders and human traffickers with graffiti writers. Technically there are subdivisions (maximum-security prisons vs. the county) but they still don't group people together by crime committed which IMO could go a long way towards creating a better prison environment that does not promote becoming "hardened" (at least for those who've committed lesser crimes).

Old 09-25-2011, 10:44 PM

954 posts, read 1,278,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

It's only been possible for certain crimes. Our statutes have sentencing guidelines which the court must follow, the court has no discretion outside of that.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:55 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,806,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think About It! View Post
robbery / recklessly evading police etc it should be a life sentence on that alone.
About how much higher should your taxes rise to accomodate such wishes?

Laws like 184 are casual concoctions made up by political strategists whose purpose is to cheaply rile up potential voters so some ding-dong can keep his/her cushy job. The details and actual impact are of little consequence to these people.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:06 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,054,023 times
California's prison spending is out of control because of laws like 184, meanwhile our public schools suck and even UC is failing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland