Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 05:02 PM

302 posts, read 933,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJB99 View Post
I must say, I'm very surprised about San Francisco. I'd heard rave reviews before I visited, and I'd always grown up thinking of it as a place to aspire to live in - a world-class city.

The common theme in most of these posts seems to be "weirdness" and "dirt" - which SF supposedly has in droves. I must admit, my one-time visit to SF for 4 days was on par with what many here have said... I simply felt unsafe here.

Too many homeless, every street smelt of some form of bodily excretion, weird people who are not afraid to impose their weirdness onto you, unpredictable weather in the middle of summer (cold and windy in August?), dire traffic...

I honestly couldn't wait to leave.

But as I said in an earlier post, it could just be that I stayed in the wrong area. Any perspective is easily tainted in a short visit, with just one bad experience. We tried to see most of the city (by car and foot) - maybe we missed the "good" parts.

I'm just curious why there's just a love/hate divide. Some people truly RAVE about the place. What are they seeing that the rest of us aren't?

~L
1. August is probably the 2nd worst month to come (July being the worst). In the early afternoon the fog begins to roll in and it is preceeded by a cold and fast wind. So yes, it is cold and windy in August...esp at night.

2. Not nearly every street smells like a bodily excretion. In the Tenderloin, yes. In parts of the Mission, yes. But, those hardly are reflective of San Francisco at large.

I don't know what the love/hate divide is. I guess people like different things. What I love about San Francisco is:

+ The urbanism. After NYC, it is the 2nd most densely populated city in the U.S.

+ The Europeanism. As someone who has been to Europe many times, San Francisco feels more European (in style, spirit, mind, and lifestyle) than any where else in the U.S.

+ The neighborhoods. The city is full of distinct and charming neighborhoods that offer a great and wide variety of things to do. If I worked in my neighborhood, I could literally spend the rest of my life there and never want for anything. Granted, I love to travel, so I would never do that..but I am just saying, I could.

+ The uniqueness. This goes with Europeanism.... I feel San Francisco is the most unique city in the U.S. As a famous quote reads - "San Franciscans are never more abroad then when they are at home."

+ It's beauty. IMO, San Francisco is one of the two most beautiful cities in the U.S. (the other being Seattle). I still get choked up at times because of the beauty in this city.

+ The ocean. There's nothing I love more, in nature, than the ocean. Enough said...it's a quick MUNI ride.

+ All the things the city has to offer in the way of dining, arts, entertainment, and getaways. I love going to Muir Woods, Napa, Sonoma, Monterey, Tahoe, and flights to LA and Seattle are quick and fairly cheap.

Yes, there are things I hate about this city:

1. All the stupid people on public transport who act as though they don't realize they are not the only person on the earth.

2. All the stupid people on the sidewalks who don't realize they aren't the only ones on the sidewalk.

3. The homeless. However, I never feel unsafe in San Francisco. Maybe it's because I'm a man, but I feel I am street smart, and the homeless are harmless.

4. The dirty parts.

I have a friend in NYC that hates San Francisco. I think it's because her only trips here have been with work and she hasn't seen much. We'll see.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:04 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,350,211 times
gellio_sf = beone

Old 12-19-2007, 11:07 AM

463 posts, read 647,046 times
I like how half the time gellio is just ranting about how european sf and how that makes it so "unique". well if sf is trying to mimic a european atmosphere that doesnt exactly strike me as unique. More like a facad. Posing. Fronting. being a phonie. What ever you want to call it. Thats SF.

How on earth can some one say SF IS european when the city is like nearly 40% chinese. LOL!!! And since when is europe a measure of sophistication. I can believe people still by into that crap. There were death camps in Europe in the 90's..... and ethnic cleansings in the early 2000's......How "sophisticated".

Old 12-19-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
I like how half the time gellio is just ranting about how european sf and how that makes it so "unique". well if sf is trying to mimic a european atmosphere that doesnt exactly strike me as unique. More like a facad. Posing. Fronting. being a phonie. What ever you want to call it. Thats SF.

How on earth can some one say SF IS european when the city is like nearly 40% chinese. LOL!!! And since when is europe a measure of sophistication. I can believe people still by into that crap. There were death camps in Europe in the 90's..... and ethnic cleansings in the early 2000's......How "sophisticated".
I said SF feels European, and it does. I'm not the only one who has said that - and there's a reason for that. It has nothing to do with the ethnic make-up of San Francisco. Besides, a lot of cities (including European cities) have large ethic populuations. Example - the city with the 2nd highest population of Turkish people is Berlin, Germany. Also, I have friends from Barcalona whom, upon their visit, said SF reminds them of their home. I also have friends from Belgium, Germany, France, the UK and the Netherlands who ALL say San Francisco reminds them more of Europe than the U.S. It very much reminds me of Europe in many ways, and that's my perspective. And, I never said Europe was the measure of sophistication! Please don't put words in my mouth. For me, the attraction of San Francisco is it being as close to a European city as I'm going to get in the U.S.

Why are you bringing crimes against humanity into this argument. Doesn't make much sense, considering the U.S.'s track record isn't the best when it comes to violations against human rights (past and present).

And, I'm sorry if you cannot appreciate the uniqueness of European history, architecture and culture.

God, you non-City folk are so jealous that it's pathetic!

Old 12-19-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
gellio_sf = beone
What's a beone?

Old 12-19-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gellio_sf View Post
I said SF feels European, and it does. I'm not the only one who has said that - and there's a reason for that. It has nothing to do with the ethnic make-up of San Francisco. Besides, a lot of cities (including European cities) have large ethic populuations. Example - the city with the 2nd highest population of Turkish people is Berlin, Germany. Also, I have friends from Barcalona whom, upon their visit, said SF reminds them of their home. I also have friends from Belgium, Germany, France, the UK and the Netherlands who ALL say San Francisco reminds them more of Europe than the U.S. It very much reminds me of Europe in many ways, and that's my perspective. And, I never said Europe was the measure of sophistication! Please don't put words in my mouth. For me, the attraction of San Francisco is it being as close to a European city as I'm going to get in the U.S.

Why are you bringing crimes against humanity into this argument. Doesn't make much sense, considering the U.S.'s track record isn't the best when it comes to violations against human rights (past and present).

And, I'm sorry if you cannot appreciate the uniqueness of European history, architecture and culture.

God, you non-City folk are so jealous that it's pathetic!

And im saying BS. How can a city that has almost 40% chinese be european. I dont care if berlin has the second largest population of turks, turks dont make up 40% of berlin. Its not my fault you declare a exclusive city in america with the largest chinese population per capita (over 1/3 of the Sf population) "European". Thats just obsurd..

Non city folk. give it a rest kid, you are from the midwest. I knew sf existed before you were even a part of the scene.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
And im saying BS. How can a city that has almost 40% chinese be european. I dont care if berlin has the second largest population of turks, turks dont make up 40% of berlin. Its not my fault you declare a exclusive city in america with the largest chinese population per capita (over 1/3 of the Sf population) "European". Thats just obsurd..

Non city folk. give it a rest kid, you are from the midwest. I knew sf existed before you were even a part of the scene.
It's not absurd. Have you ever been to Europe?

Again, I'm fortunate to have had all the experiences in life I have had, and I'm fortunate to have lived in all the places I have lived. I am a San Franciscan!

Old 12-19-2007, 12:35 PM

Quote:
It's not absurd. Have you ever been to Europe?

Again, I'm fortunate to have had all the experiences in life I have had, and I'm fortunate to have lived in all the places I have lived. I am a San Franciscan!
1. I have been to Europe
2 SF did not resemble europe. But thats my opinion
3 you are not native san fransiscan

Old 12-19-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:
1. I have been to Europe
2 SF did not resemble europe. But thats my opinion
3 you are not native san fransiscan
That's fine. End of discussion. You have your opinon and I have mine. More people likely share mine than yours.

I'm glad I'm not a native San Franciscan. I would never want to spent my entire life living in the same state/region.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
That's fine. End of discussion. You have your opinon and I have mine. More people likely share mine than yours.

I'm glad I'm not a native San Franciscan. I would never want to spent my entire life living in the same state/region.
yea well now might be a good time to pick up and move huh? dont let the door hit ya where the good lord splits ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland