Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 12:49 PM

302 posts, read 933,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
yea well now might be a good time to pick up and move huh? dont let the door hit ya where the good lord splits ya.
No, this might just be the place for me (in the U.S. anyway). I just love the European feel of San Francisco.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:20 PM

23 posts, read 116,531 times
Awww c'mon guys, what exactly are you arguing about here?

'Tis the season to be jolly! :-)

Old 12-20-2007, 12:02 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times
I'm native SF

Never been to Europe.

From pictures I have seen I would say the two do not resemble one another.

Old 12-20-2007, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
I'm native SF

Never been to Europe.

From pictures I have seen I would say the two do not resemble one another.
Well since you've never been to Europe, so your opinion is irrelevant. Pictures don't tell the story - not even a small part of it. Seeing something in person is an extremely different experience than seeing something in a photo.

Last edited by gellio_sf; 12-20-2007 at 02:26 PM..

Old 12-20-2007, 02:09 PM

2,722 posts, read 5,469,243 times
no chit.

Do you always come off like this or are you having a bad day?

Old 12-20-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
no chit.

Do you always come off like this or are you having a bad day?
Huh? I'm just saying that you don't know - you've never been to Europe. Period! Once you go, you may still hold the same opinion, and that's fine, but until you go - irrelevant.

Old 12-20-2007, 08:46 PM

52 posts, read 230,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
1. I have been to Europe
2 SF did not resemble europe. But thats my opinion
3 you are not native san fransiscan
Agree 100%. Most people cheerleading SF tend to be midwest/east coast transplants while us bay area natives are kinda like "Well, this is home to us but I dont get the big deal".

How someone can compare a true world class city like London, Paris,etc... to a small city that is a subset of Silicon Valley is beyond me. (Thats right, Silicon valley is really the center of the bay area in terms of jobs, culture,etc...) and tech drones are coming into the city as well. San Francisco is kinda of like a glorified Oregon if you ask me. And I like Oregon, Im just saying it bears zero resemblence to a large European city in every sense

Old 12-21-2007, 04:48 AM

23 posts, read 116,531 times
Firstly, whether or not a place is like another, is a personal experience to the observer. Why people are even arguing about this, is moot.

Secondly, whether or not it *is* like Europe, who cares? It doesn't seem to me sane to hold an emotional persuasion either way. If someone said to me "Your town is not like Italy", I can't imagine feeling angry enough about it to blurt retort. So what? People have differing opinions, and no-one owns a town -- you choose to live there for your own reasons.

Thirdly, what's with the comparison to Europe, anyway? Europe is made up of 48 very distinct countries, each one very different. Different people, different cultures, different rules (except those unified by the EU). To say something is "European" is to say something is "American", and include Canada, Mexico, Peru, Brazil and Columbia in that equation. It makes no sense. As a European, I can say, some of the most foreign experiences I've encountered have been travelling to other European countries.

Fourthly - Why does it matter? If you like where you live, stay there. If not, be somewhere else, and be happy.

Doesn't seem to make any sense to whine about it on an anonymous forum!

Old 12-21-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJB99 View Post
Firstly, whether or not a place is like another, is a personal experience to the observer. Why people are even arguing about this, is moot.

Secondly, whether or not it *is* like Europe, who cares? It doesn't seem to me sane to hold an emotional persuasion either way. If someone said to me "Your town is not like Italy", I can't imagine feeling angry enough about it to blurt retort. So what? People have differing opinions, and no-one owns a town -- you choose to live there for your own reasons.

Thirdly, what's with the comparison to Europe, anyway? Europe is made up of 48 very distinct countries, each one very different. Different people, different cultures, different rules (except those unified by the EU). To say something is "European" is to say something is "American", and include Canada, Mexico, Peru, Brazil and Columbia in that equation. It makes no sense. As a European, I can say, some of the most foreign experiences I've encountered have been travelling to other European countries.

Fourthly - Why does it matter? If you like where you live, stay there. If not, be somewhere else, and be happy.

Doesn't seem to make any sense to whine about it on an anonymous forum!
Good points on all accounts. I don't see what was wrong with me saying I love it here because it reminds me of European cities. I am well travelled and studied European history with an emphasis on Central/Eastern Europe. I'm not ignorant. If I love San Francisco because it reminds of Europe, so what?

Old 12-21-2007, 11:13 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,343,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gellio_sf View Post
Good points on all accounts. I don't see what was wrong with me saying I love it here because it reminds me of European cities. I am well travelled and studied European history with an emphasis on Central/Eastern Europe. I'm not ignorant. If I love San Francisco because it reminds of Europe, so what?
There's absolutely nothing wrong with you loving your home. I find it annoying when you justify it with abstract statements like "it's European." That's so vague. It doesn't really mean anything.

No, it shouldn't bother me but it does. That's life on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland