Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 07:33 PM

358 posts, read 1,916,184 times

Advertisements

I find it hard to trust LA's crime statistics. They've had higher crime than SF until 2005 when suddenly the assault rate was cut in half (do you really believe that that happened?).

Plus the statistics are just for city limits. LA has neighboring cities that are de facto Los Angeles, like Inglewood and Compton, and have very high crime rates. The one city that is truly integrated with SF is Daly City, which has very low crime rates.

Old 09-07-2007, 08:23 PM

52 posts, read 230,786 times
Ive lived in SD and the bay, let me give you the full scoop

SF- I personally think its a terrible place and the most overrated city in the world. TONS of homeless people, the streets smell like urine, impossible to get around. I would compare it to Gotham city in Batman. And the goofy people are in high numbers. Did I mention that you will likely be working in silicon valley? The most boring place on the face of the earth? Once you are working lots of hours in San Jose for your tech company you wont have time to commute home to SF. You will likely move to the sh1thole or mind numbingly boring suburbs of silicon valley. Overall, the bay is a terrible place for a single male. Highest male/female ratio in the nation, worst dating scene. In my 21 years in silicon valley, I barely even saw many girls walking around. Enjoy spending most of your days working in Milpitas or Santa Clara or some other family suburb. Bay area: Great place to raise a family, horrible place to be single. The weather in SF/bay is always 50 degrees and cloudy. Miserable.

SD- Amazing place, unreal weather. Job market isnt anywhere near the level of SF/Silicon valley though. The people are a lot like LA, which can be sort of superficial, but thats socal for you

Cant comment much on LA...but seriously, dont even bother visiting the bay area. And dont get me started on the wasteland that is known as San Jose. Id rather live in South Dakota than San Jose. Its that bad.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:46 PM

72 posts, read 104,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by san phlegmatico View Post
You make some cogent points in this post. I happen to be a big fan of the Bay Area as well -- I lived there for a year and half at one point. It is a spectacularly beautiful area -- a veritable smorgasbord of geographies, topographies, natural wonders, and architectural genius. SF: home to a mind-boggling array of 'things to do', an international and Western U.S. culture, a generally intelligent populace, and a certain singular uniqueness. SF has that certain je ne sais qois. SF and most of the surrounding Bay Area is a genuine place, very historic. It oozes vibe and is bathed in ambiance. It has its downsides, as all places do; but for my money San Francisco is the best city on the West Coast, hands down. The only sublime city on the West Coast. Truly a gem.

The best thing about San Francisco -- like Paris, Manhattan, and others like it -- is that you will be challenged to raise your level of performance. It is inspiring, competitive, and provides myriad resources and mentors/ contemporaries for most anyone in any field to utilize for growth and achievement of potential. At the same time -- unlike Manhattan -- it is not a frenetic rat race; it is not an unhealthy environment. You can live in SF or the nearby urban communities, coceivably for life and yet not feel hemmed-in, like you're making major lifestyle concessions.

SF will bring out the best in you.
I did enjoy this post very much as I too am very drawn to the natural and cultural variety of SF and the rest of CA. But I notice that you are not in SF, but San Diego. It must have its positive points as well, no:?

Old 09-09-2007, 07:57 AM

19 posts, read 74,570 times
-SF More compfy, more natural, more wackos, more homeless, more hippies, more weather

-LA More phonies, more palm trees, more year round weather, more movie stars, more gangs, more pretentious, more mexicans

-SD More families, more clean and safe, more conservative, more sane, more arid, more relaxed

Old 09-10-2007, 08:29 PM

374 posts, read 1,852,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker32 View Post
SF- I personally think its a terrible place and the most overrated city in the world. TONS of homeless people, the streets smell like urine, impossible to get around. I would compare it to Gotham city in Batman. And the goofy people are in high numbers.
The most overrated city in the world? Don't you think that's a bit harsh? As are the rest of your statements. Yes, the Misson and the Tenderloin streets can smell like urine. But that's hardly representative of the entire city. Neighborhoods like Noe Valley, the Castro, Pacific Heights, Nob Hill, Russian Hill, the Sunset, the Richmond, the Financial District, North Beach and the Marina are relatively clean. These, along with the Mission are the areas people go to. People don't generally go to the Tenderloin - it is disgusting. The Mission isn't bad in all areas. Valencia Street is quite nice and doesn't smell like urine. Mission Street is gross, and yes coming up from BART at the 16th or 24th Street Stations you will smell urine.

It's impossible to get around? It has a far better public transportation system than either LA or SD. I don't have a car and I get around just fine. In fact (I live in the Castro), it would take me longer to get to work in the Financial District if I drove vs. taking BART or MUNI Metro.

Now on to some of the other topics contained in this thread.

There are a lot of goofy people here, but that's kind of fun. It's the land of "fruits and nuts". I don't care for the homeless - it's a big problem here, but generally they are not aggressive and don't bother me much.

I never feel threatened when walking around at night. Of course neighborhoods like Bayshore and the Tenderloin can be dangerous, but again...no one goes there. I feel safe walking around my neighborhood and any of the other neighborhoods mentioned above at night.

I moved here after visiting it and falling completely in love with it. Travel is a passion of mine and I have been to almost every state in the U.S. and several European cities. San Francisco is far and out my favorite city in the U.S. I believe it to have more beauty and character than any other city in the country.

While it may be the 4th largest city in the state and the 14th largest in the country, it feels like the 2nd largest in the country to me, because of its density. Chicago is the 3rd largest city in the country and it feels smaller to me than San Francisco, LA, and Seattle (I lived there for 5 years). Size of population and size of geography don't always reflect how big a city feels. There are so many people here that were ever you are you feel like you're in the thick of things. There's so much to see and do. Life here is really exciting.

I love the people here. I have made many many more friends within the first year of living here than I made in just over 5 years in city. People are friendly, educated, and share a genuine interest in one another upon first meeting. It's not uncommon for me to meet someone at a bar, party, or through a friend and become instant friends with them. I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that San Franciscans pay a high price to live here. In other words, we all want to live here. I know many people in other cities who don't like where they live but don't move on to bigger and better cities (NYC, SF) because of financial reasons. They choose to buy homes and cars and live somewhere they don't love. I would rather rent for ever in San Francisco then own a home else where. That's my choice.

Rent is expensive here, but you can find deals. Right now I share a flat with two roommates and we each pay $675 per month. One of my roommates has been here for 4 or 5 years, so the rent hasn't increased. I was nextdoor in a super tiny studio paying $975 per month. I had to move out while renovations happen and may go back. $975 for a studio in the Castro is a steal.

I think realitive to Seattle other prices are on par - a touch more expensive. But compared to Minneapolis (where I lived before Seattle) it is a lot more expensive. I would imagine the prices where you live are on par with Minneapolis. Groceries are more expensive, clothes are more expensive, my cell phone bill is more, the list goes on and on. The other night I went out to a nice dinner (drinks beforehand) and I dropped just over $100.

I would suggest craigslist.org. Snoop around to get a feel for rent prices and what's out there. I would suggest the following neighborhoods, although they may not be the cheapest, they are the safest and have a lot of pluses.

Castro: I chose this neighborhood because I don't have a car and it has the best access to public transportation in the city. I am 4 blocks from a BART station and 4 blocks from a MUNI Metro station.

Noe (pronounced No-E) Valley: One of my favorite neighborhoods. It's just on the other side of the hill from the Castro. It is charming, quaint and quiet - tucked away and almost secluded but just a short walk to the hoppin' Castro and Mission neighborhoods.

Along with the Mission and Potrero Hill, I would say the Castro and Noe have the best weather in the City. The fog almost never reaches my area.

The Sunset: The Sunset extends along the south side of Golden Gate Park to the Pacific Ocean. It is divided into the Inner and Outer Sunsets. Inner is closer to the center of the city, Outer borders the ocean. Both also border the park. The Inner Sunset (cheaper than the Castro and Noe but more expensive than the Outer Sunset) is charming. It has a great strip filled with shops, cafes and restaurants. It's also close to the Haight, which is a plus. The downside is the weather. During June, July and August the Sunset is usually fogged in.

The Richmond: Like the Sunset, it is divided into Inner and Outer, borders Golden Gate Park (on the north side) and is fogged in most of the summer months. The Richmond, as a whole, is a lot less lively than the Inner Sunset, but I imagine it's cheaper.

Mission: This is the predominately Hispanic area. It has some fantastic restaurants, great bars, and is full of life. But, it is also dirty, can be stinky and has higher crime than the neighborhoods mentioned above...but it also has cheaper rent than Castro and Noe for sure, and great access to BART.

Mill around Craigslist...it's the best place to get a glimpse of what's out there and how much rent is in the different neighborhoods of the city.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:59 AM

Is it hard to find small studios/1BD? I browse craigslist a bit, but they never tell sq ft, so I never know if the price is really low because it's small, or because it's a really bad apartment or what. I'm hoping to find a studio under $1200, ideally in Inner Sunset or a neighborhood SE/E/NE/N of there. I don't mind if it's tiny (to me, 500sq ft is more than big enough)... my main concern is with indoor noise levels. Am I thinking unreasonable, out of my price range? What sort of sq.ft. is 'tiny' in SF?

Old 09-11-2007, 07:34 AM

374 posts, read 1,852,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post
Is it hard to find small studios/1BD? I browse craigslist a bit, but they never tell sq ft, so I never know if the price is really low because it's small, or because it's a really bad apartment or what. I'm hoping to find a studio under $1200, ideally in Inner Sunset or a neighborhood SE/E/NE/N of there. I don't mind if it's tiny (to me, 500sq ft is more than big enough)... my main concern is with indoor noise levels. Am I thinking unreasonable, out of my price range? What sort of sq.ft. is 'tiny' in SF?
Ok, I would think that would be definitely possible in the Inner Sunset. I have two friends who rent nice big studios in the Marina for $1,200. I have other friends who have studios in the Castro (big) for $1,200. In my experience, price has little to do with the quality of the place. You pay for lacation here, no so it seems. I've seen crap two bedrooms for $1,800 and nice two bedrooms for $1,800 on the same street. I would say if you were willing to look at a lot of places a nice sized studio for $1,200 is possible. My friends that have the studios in the Marina and Castro have separate kitchens, bathrooms, and a place to put a couch, chair, coffee table, bed and other little furniture, so that's sizeable.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:02 PM

7 posts, read 161,584 times
Default La Longbeach??

I don not understand/ Long beach is not compared in anyway to LA. San Jose is bigger than SF in both ways(POPULATION/PHYSICAL SIZE)

Old 09-11-2007, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beone View Post
Ok, I would think that would be definitely possible in the Inner Sunset. I have two friends who rent nice big studios in the Marina for $1,200. I have other friends who have studios in the Castro (big) for $1,200. In my experience, price has little to do with the quality of the place. You pay for lacation here, no so it seems. I've seen crap two bedrooms for $1,800 and nice two bedrooms for $1,800 on the same street. I would say if you were willing to look at a lot of places a nice sized studio for $1,200 is possible. My friends that have the studios in the Marina and Castro have separate kitchens, bathrooms, and a place to put a couch, chair, coffee table, bed and other little furniture, so that's sizeable.
Sounds like a good deal can come if a prospective tenant can take their time to pick out a place (please correct me if I'm misunderstanding). Thanks beone!

Old 09-11-2007, 10:41 PM

989 posts, read 2,440,667 times
SF seems to be either a place you love or you hate. I'm really curious as to how I'd get along with the people there.

On the one hand, I love stimulating and intellectual conversation, on the other hand, I think I have an aversion to "liberals" and "radicals" and "progressives." I am rather conservative in my thinking - although not the religious conservatism (I am atheist/agnostic). So I'm curious whether I would enjoy the SF intellectualism or be turned off by it? I'm also wondering how much further I could go careerwise and financial wise in SF as opposed to SD or LA. I am not a techie, just a business graduate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker32 View Post
Ive lived in SD and the bay, let me give you the full scoop

SF- I personally think its a terrible place and the most overrated city in the world. TONS of homeless people, the streets smell like urine, impossible to get around. I would compare it to Gotham city in Batman. And the goofy people are in high numbers. Did I mention that you will likely be working in silicon valley? The most boring place on the face of the earth? Once you are working lots of hours in San Jose for your tech company you wont have time to commute home to SF. You will likely move to the sh1thole or mind numbingly boring suburbs of silicon valley. Overall, the bay is a terrible place for a single male. Highest male/female ratio in the nation, worst dating scene. In my 21 years in silicon valley, I barely even saw many girls walking around. Enjoy spending most of your days working in Milpitas or Santa Clara or some other family suburb. Bay area: Great place to raise a family, horrible place to be single. The weather in SF/bay is always 50 degrees and cloudy. Miserable.

SD- Amazing place, unreal weather. Job market isnt anywhere near the level of SF/Silicon valley though. The people are a lot like LA, which can be sort of superficial, but thats socal for you

Cant comment much on LA...but seriously, dont even bother visiting the bay area. And dont get me started on the wasteland that is known as San Jose. Id rather live in South Dakota than San Jose. Its that bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland