Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 06:32 AM

49 posts, read 165,362 times

Advertisements

I have the possibility of a relocation to the Bay Area and will be working at San Francisco Intl. My wife and I will most likely be having a kid, and are looking for somewhere to life. I'd like to keep my commuter to 40 minutes at most.

We'd like a single-family (preferably) or a townhouse at least, with a garage, 3 bedrooms, and fenced yard (small is fine). We're outdoorsy-types, and would like to be VERY close to good running trails, cycling and hiking areas. Near the beach would be a bonus. I'd like to be able to leave my house for a run and not have to run through the city the whole time. I currently live in Detroit and have had enough of that.

We're planning on renting and our budget is $2500/month if at all possible.

Any recommendations?

Last edited by jerky1280; 09-27-2011 at 06:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 10:33 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,075,505 times
Similar topic:

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-f...f-airport.html

I guess look at areas near the airport, from Millbrae down to around Redwood City. $2500 might be tough for a 3br townhouse with a garage but see what you can find on craigslist. The coast is on the western side of the peninsula on the other side of steep hills and it's very sparsely populated. Pacifica and Daly City are by the beach but they're really foggy and honestly kind of dumpy.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:47 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,120,439 times
$2500 is going to be tough for a 3BR in a nice (i.e aesthetically pleasing) neighborhood on the peninsula, your options are much better the closer you get to $3000/month. At $2500/month, check out Millbrae, Pacifica, San Bruno and downtown San Mateo.

Old 10-02-2011, 05:05 PM

So... for $3000 where would you recommend?

Old 10-03-2011, 04:35 PM

Also...what would a commute from the East Bay be like to SFO? Somewhere like Hayward or Castro Valley?

Old 10-03-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerky1280 View Post
So... for $3000 where would you recommend?
Foster City, Redwood Shores, San Mateo, Burlingame, Belmont.
Search craigslist and see.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:13 PM

45 posts, read 61,813 times
We lived in San Mateo 94403 (Glendale-San Mateo Village) near Hillsdale Mall for the last 15 years and loved it. You should be able to find a nice house (3+1 is typical for that area) plus a garage for $2500-3000. Redwood City is another great possibility in that price range. Millbrae, too, but from Millbrae north you get more fog. You might check out Mountain View, Cupertino, Santa Clara and San Jose. Prices might be a little less, and there are more townhouses there.

We rented a single family home the whole time we lived there, and when house #1 got sold, we drove the same neighborhood until we found another house to rent; ditto the second time. It was surprisingly easy. I'd also recommend finding a property mgr like Burlingame Prpty Mgmt or a realtor in the area - they can get you more bang for your buck. (Better location, better landlord, get in before it's advertised, etc.) There are plenty of hiking/biking trails along the Bay and lagoons, and lots of conveniences near El Camino Real and Hillsdale Blvd. It's a great mid-peninsula location, very family friendly. I don't recommend East Bay unless you're working over there. The commute and bridge tolls and gas prices will kill you. (It's also much hotter there.) Good luck! You will love it!

Old 10-04-2011, 10:18 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,859,449 times
Quote:
Also...what would a commute from the East Bay be like to SFO? Somewhere like Hayward or Castro Valley?
Can you take BART? The ride is around an hour from there. Driving could be a pain, because Hayward and 238 are the biggest traffic backups around. You'd need to take 880 through Hayward to San Mateo (bottleneck) and then deal with the transition to 101 for another bottleneck. During commute hours it would be terrible. It can take 15 minutes to just get through Hayward.

I would not recommend living in Hayward. Schools are generally crappy, not many amenities, and frankly there is quite a lot of crime in South Hayward especially. Way too much crime for so few amenities.

Castro Valley is a better choice. I'd call it rancho suburbia. It is very much a typical suburb established in the 50s. There are also leftover ranchers in the hills. They have cows and horses. They have the basic amenities, but you can always go over the hill to Dublin or Pleasanton for restaurants. I like those areas better than C.V. C.V is not incorporated -- which you may or may not like, but other than the bowling alley and the ice cream shop there isn't anything to do at all. It is a very sleepy suburb. Old housing stock, lots of ranch style homes.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:40 AM

2,199 posts, read 3,357,507 times
Quote:
I have the possibility of a relocation to the Bay Area and will be working at San Francisco Intl. My wife and I will most likely be having a kid, and are looking for somewhere to life. I'd like to keep my commuter to 40 minutes at most.

We'd like a single-family (preferably) or a townhouse at least, with a garage, 3 bedrooms, and fenced yard (small is fine). We're outdoorsy-types, and would like to be VERY close to good running trails, cycling and hiking areas. Near the beach would be a bonus. I'd like to be able to leave my house for a run and not have to run through the city the whole time. I currently live in Detroit and have had enough of that.

We're planning on renting and our budget is $2500/month if at all possible.

Any recommendations?
If you go up to 3000/month, you will be able to find 3br/2ba homes with yards and garages in Millbrae and Belmont (and both are safe areas and have very good schools at all levels - elementary, middle and high school). You won't be able to run out the door directly to the hiking trails, but there are numerous trails in the area.

Since you will be working at SFO, will you be using their employee parking lot (free pkg)? If so, the drive from Millbrae will be just minutes. If you chose to take public transportation, there is BART. Driving from Belmont will take a bit longer (15 - 20 minutes or so).

Old 10-04-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djinnich1 View Post
We lived in San Mateo 94403 (Glendale-San Mateo Village) near Hillsdale Mall for the last 15 years and loved it. You should be able to find a nice house (3+1 is typical for that area) plus a garage for $2500-3000.
Hey, that is where I live too -- 94403.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland