Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2011, 03:39 PM

75 posts, read 204,529 times

Advertisements

I've read online that Berkeley has tighter rent control ordinances than Oakland - that landlords in Oakland have loopholes they can take advantage of and that the enforcement there is not as stringent.

I've called the appropriate place in Oakland to find out more about rent control in Oakland, only to get a long-winded ambiguous response, so I'm turning to those of you who are actually living there and experienced it. What kind of rent increases are you receiving and do you know roughly what the rent control is like in Oakland? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 07:37 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
I've been wondering about this lately since rents have been going up everywhere in the Bay Area. When I lived in SF every couple of years my landlords would increase the rent by like $25 or so and say that they'd had to clear it with the rent control board, even though when I rented the places they wouldn't say anything about there being rent control on the property.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:38 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
I've never heard of rent control in Oakland.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Yes I do. My landlord has been raising it from 2-3% in line with the maximums for the city. My brother is also subject to rent control as well, and his landlord does the same as needed (Lapham).

My landlord did not raise the rent for the first 3 years I have lived in my place.

Old 10-18-2011, 03:45 PM

75 posts, read 204,529 times
Thanks so much for the info jade408

Rent is increasing by hundreds for several of the people I know in Silicon Valley/ South Bay where rent control does not exist. Now more than ever, those of you on rent control benefit.

Old 10-20-2011, 01:00 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Oakland has rent control and has for some time...

http://www2.oaklandnet.com/Government/o/CEDA/o/hcd/o/RentAdjustment/DOWD008793 (broken link)

I have not increased rents for many years... usually, just when a unit becomes available.

My opinion is SF and Berkeley have more stringent measures... although, Oakland is not that far behind... the ordinance has been revised several times.

If rent control is important... you do need to take the time and download the ordinance and become familiar with it.

I know quite a few that have left Oakland for Fremont, Castro Valley and San Leandro... none of these areas have rent control... so for many, it must not be that important.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 10-20-2011 at 01:09 AM..

Old 08-05-2014, 09:57 AM

2 posts, read 4,686 times
I live in Oakland Jack London Square Allegro Apartment. They raise the rent every year. Do I have any rights?

Old 08-05-2014, 11:12 AM

655 posts, read 1,983,525 times
No--Oakland's rent control (like SF's and Berkeley's) only applies to older buildings--built before 1983 in Oakland. New construction is not covered by it.

Old 08-05-2014, 02:48 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,751 times
These cities have rent control in CA. New York state has quite a few rent control areas

Berkeley
Beverly Hills
East Palo Alto
Hayward
Los Angeles
Los Gatos
Oakland
Palm Springs
San Francisco
San Jose
Santa Monica
West Hollywood
Usually once the tenant moves out, the property owner is free to place the unit on the market for as high as rent as he or she wants....but, once the new tenant moves in, future rent hikes are governed by the rent control ordnance

Old 08-05-2014, 05:38 PM

46 posts, read 49,710 times
Oakland has rent stabilization. But some types of units, such as single family houses and newer buildings, are exempt. You can easily look up which types of units are exempt on the city of Oakland Rent Adjustment Program web site. In rent controlled units, the amount allowed for rent to be raised changes each year based on the economy. Generally it's been around 2-3% for some time. Landlords can also bank increases and give you a bunch of increases at once, within the limits of the yearly increases combined. Landlords are also allowed to pass certain costs onto tenants, such as capital improvements. Just this year the amount they are allowed to pass on has been somewhat restricted but it is definitely possible that you could have rent control in Oakland and get a higher increase than the 2-3% because of capital improvements. For example they can paint your building and pass on a large portion of those expenses to your rent, spread out over a period of years. There is lots of info on the RAP section of the city's site. Basically newer condos and such are exempt and landlords can do whatever they want in terms of raising rent. For units regulated under rent control, rents can be raised to any amount when a new tenant moves in but for those living in a rent controlled unit, there is some regulation as to how much rent can increase in a given year and even over a period of several years.

Last edited by Bay_girl; 08-05-2014 at 05:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland