Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 06:52 PM

629 posts, read 618,242 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I moved here back in April. As a background to my point of view (I think this is a very important part of any opinion), I am 29, male and straight, and went to college in Texas for 8 years but worked the last 3 years in a small mountain town in southern California. Prior to college I lived in Houston. Now I live in the sunset, as that is where I'm working.
Ok, that's enough background. Now onto my observations of the City, which is the point of this thread.

My favorite areas
I've spent as much time as possible exploring the different parts to the city, seeing as how that is a big part of what makes this city what it is. Districts I've found myself enjoying the most, for a variety of different reasons:
Lower Haight
Hayes Valley
NOPA (yes, I know some people seem to hate calling it that)
Mission (of course)
Sunset - a very unpopular choice on here, but I've grown to like it. It's a great place to walk my dog, I'm 3 blocks from the beach so we're always down there, it's quiet, I never feel unsafe, and I can actually park my car (which is still a problem, I'll get to that later). I won't live here long term, but for right now I like it well enough. Negatives are definitely that it's often boring, but inner sunset has more to do than outer.
West Portal (mostly for the food and easy parking, otherwise boring)

This list is still in progress, as I'm constantly trying to spend time in different areas. It will no doubt be different this time next year.
I'm looking to move to one of the above places, but finding it very hard. No one rents to people with dogs. For a city filled with animal lovers, it is amazing how dog-unfriendly the housing options are. Very frustrating.

The people

Before moving here, I did lots of reading on here. Nothing but complaining from some of you about how cold and unapproachable the people here are. I couldn't disagree more. I find the people here to be incredible friendly, almost to the point of annoying at times. Ok, maybe not that, but definitely a step up from southern California. Of course, the populations are different from district to district, and with that comes different types of social interactions, but people are consistently saying hi when walking down the street, or stopping to talk when on the beach. Surprising. I haven't experienced politeness from strangers since living in Texas.
Now don't get me wrong, there's still plenty of jerks out there, but the cold attitude seems to be mostly limited to the areas around downtown (which makes sense).
From surfers to hipsters to yuppies, there's a bit of everything here.
And just like any large city, it can be very overwhelming sometimes. Yes, I'm having trouble meeting people, but I expected that. I just have to struggle through it, as i know I just have to find my place. I'm not the first to feel this way, but I'm not worried.

The culture
Ok, this has to be my favorite part. I have never experienced so much character and personality in one place before. Everywhere I go (I think walking this city is the best way to experience it) I see and experience something different. There's always something going on, and lots of times it's so off the wall that I'm still amazed by the uniqueness of it all. Maybe that is more pronounced because of my conservative background, but it will take me awhile to get used to it. It's not stopping me from embracing it, however. Hell, a trip on the N Judah can be as entertaining as anything out there. And this all ties back to the previous section of my discussion.

The roads
This is my least favorite part of the city. I HATE driving here. Just a miserable experience. If you can survive the indifferent pedestrians, suicidal bicyclists, double-parkers, illegal u-turns in the middle of intersections, and constant traffic, then you have to hope to find somewhere to park for a ridiculous cost. Makes me want to sell my car. Oh, and then there's parking where i live. The sunset is great for parking, as long as you keep track of the street sweeping schedule. And hope you don't park in front of an ******* who gets his kicks on calling the city to have you towed in the middle of the night ($640 for his claim that i was an inch into his driveway). And the city has done a number on my paint-some strange substance got on half my car, completely eating through the paint and causing permanent damage on my BMW (the guy at the detailer thinks someone did it on purpose). Why the hate?

The weather
Another topic that gets lots of emotion out of people on here. Honestly, I've enjoyed it. Yes, there have been stretches of not seeing the sun. But even during those times I haven't found it to be all that cold. I find it refreshing after a decade of living in the hell that is houston. And on sunny days (like today) it's about as perfect as it can get anywhere.
Some people must have it real good in life if this weather inspires so much hatred. You need real problems in life.

The food
Two words: bigger pants. Yes, I've gained weight while here. Even with walking a few miles a day. I find myself eating out most meals, so i guess it's my own fault. But come on, there are just so many options out there, I can't help it. Call me a glutton, but I've found myself also trying things I've never had before. Indian food, mediterranean, hell, I had never had hummus until living here. Experiencing this city requires experiencing the food as much as anything else.

The City
An absolutely amazing place. The beauty of it all is ever changing with the constant change in the weather. I find that watching the fog sweep over the City can be as intoxicating as watching the sun set overlooking the pacific on a clear day.

In conclusion...

I'm sure eventually I'll become jaded just like everyone else, but I am having the time of my life so far. Those of you who find things to complain about here have lots of valid points (cost of living, etc), but most of the issues I read here are ridiculous and irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. You have no idea how good you have it. Go spend a summer in Houston and you'll never ***** again. And if you really hate it so much, then leave. Please. There're plenty of folks out there who would gladly take your place. Not trying to be preachy here, just trying to give some perspective.

This will be revisited after a year, and I'm sure it will be completely different. I just pray that it remains so positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,317 times
Default thanks for sharing

As a current Houstonian hoping to live in the Bay area in a year or two, I really appreciated reading your perspective. I hope it's still positive in a year. And by the way - this past summer in Houston was the most brutal I can remember. I'd take a cool (cold), foggy day anytime.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:24 PM

629 posts, read 618,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryjack View Post
As a current Houstonian hoping to live in the Bay area in a year or two, I really appreciated reading your perspective. I hope it's still positive in a year. And by the way - this past summer in Houston was the most brutal I can remember. I'd take a cool (cold), foggy day anytime.

My parents are still there, so I've heard about it from them. I'm pretty sure you guys broke some unbreakable records there. My mom's yard is pretty much dead apparently.

Glad my take on things could help. I probably could have made it twice as long.

Old 10-02-2011, 07:32 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,063,164 times
Yeah when I moved to the Bay Area I found I started putting on weight myself, lol. I don't even have a car but everything is so compact in SF that you never have to walk that far to do anything, and you're always eating good stuff, so it's easy to put on a few pounds here and there.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:57 PM

330 posts, read 748,880 times
Your experience is very similar to mine and I agree with you almost 100%. I think what I love the most is how outgoing and active the people are here. I come from a place where it is pretty typical on weekdays for people to work 9-5, go straight home and turn on the TV (or otherwise stay indoors) until they go to bed. Its very refreshing to live in a place where people make an effort to get out...even if its just for a stroll around the block or a cup of coffee at a sidewalk cafe.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:06 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,819,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliance View Post
The food
Two words: bigger pants. Yes, I've gained weight while here.
Nearing 30, that'll occur in the natural course of things anywhere. Fortunately in SF, there are plenty of reasonably healthy alternatives to greasy stuff, should the need arise to address the belt-loosening issue.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:10 PM

159 posts, read 557,947 times
I'm glad you're enjoying things! It took me about 8 years before I became 'jaded' & instead of just looking at the big quality of life picture (which was favorable), I started paying attention to the negative quality of life things, and eventually decided that the cost of living & quality of life were both becoming negatives for me. I'm glad to say that once that became the case, I was able to move-on.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:50 PM

457 posts, read 755,815 times
Quote:
Ok, so I moved here back in April. As a background to my point of view (I think this is a very important part of any opinion), I am 29, male and straight, and went to college in Texas for 8 years but worked the last 3 years in a small mountain town in southern California. Prior to college I lived in Houston. Now I live in the sunset, as that is where I'm working.
Ok, that's enough background. Now onto my observations of the City, which is the point of this thread.

My favorite areas
I've spent as much time as possible exploring the different parts to the city, seeing as how that is a big part of what makes this city what it is. Districts I've found myself enjoying the most, for a variety of different reasons:
Lower Haight
Hayes Valley
Mission (of course)
Sunset - a very unpopular choice on here, but I've grown to like it. It's a great place to walk my dog, I'm 3 blocks from the beach so we're always down there, it's quiet, I never feel unsafe, and I can actually park my car (which is still a problem, I'll get to that later). I won't live here long term, but for right now I like it well enough. Negatives are definitely that it's often boring, but inner sunset has more to do than outer.

This list is still in progress, as I'm constantly trying to spend time in different areas. It will no doubt be different this time next year.
I'm looking to move to one of the above places, but finding it very hard. No one rents to people with dogs. For a city filled with animal lovers, it is amazing how dog-unfriendly the housing options are. Very frustrating.

The people

Before moving here, I did lots of reading on here. Nothing but complaining from some of you about how cold and unapproachable the people here are. I couldn't disagree more. I find the people here to be incredible friendly, almost to the point of annoying at times. Ok, maybe not that, but definitely a step up from southern California. Of course, the populations are different from district to district, and with that comes different types of social interactions, but people are consistently saying hi when walking down the street, or stopping to talk when on the beach. Surprising. I haven't experienced politeness from strangers since living in Texas.
Now don't get me wrong, there's still plenty of jerks out there, but the cold attitude seems to be mostly limited to the areas around downtown (which makes sense).
And just like any large city, it can be very overwhelming sometimes. Yes, I'm having trouble meeting people, but I expected that. I just have to struggle through it, as i know I just have to find my place. I'm not the first to feel this way, but I'm not worried.

The culture
Ok, this has to be my favorite part. I have never experienced so much character and personality in one place before. Everywhere I go (I think walking this city is the best way to experience it) I see and experience something different. There's always something going on, and lots of times it's so off the wall that I'm still amazed by the uniqueness of it all. Maybe that is more pronounced because of my conservative background, but it will take me awhile to get used to it. It's not stopping me from embracing it, however. Hell, a trip on the N Judah can be as entertaining as anything out there. And this all ties back to the previous section of my discussion.

The roads
This is my least favorite part of the city. I HATE driving here. Just a miserable experience. If you can survive the indifferent pedestrians, suicidal bicyclists, double-parkers, illegal u-turns in the middle of intersections, and constant traffic, then you have to hope to find somewhere to park for a ridiculous cost. Makes me want to sell my car. Oh, and then there's parking where i live. The sunset is great for parking, as long as you keep track of the street sweeping schedule. And hope you don't park in front of an ******* who gets his kicks on calling the city to have you towed in the middle of the night ($640 for his claim that i was an inch into his driveway). And the city has done a number on my paint-some strange substance got on half my car, completely eating through the paint and causing permanent damage on my BMW (the guy at the detailer thinks someone did it on purpose). Why the hate?

The weather
Another topic that gets lots of emotion out of people on here. Honestly, I've enjoyed it. Yes, there have been stretches of not seeing the sun. But even during those times I haven't found it to be all that cold. I find it refreshing after a decade of living in the hell that is houston. And on sunny days (like today) it's about as perfect as it can get anywhere.
Some people must have it real good in life if this weather inspires so much hatred. You need real problems in life.

The food
Two words: bigger pants. Yes, I've gained weight while here. Even with walking a few miles a day. I find myself eating out most meals, so i guess it's my own fault. But come on, there are just so many options out there, I can't help it. Call me a glutton, but I've found myself also trying things I've never had before. Indian food, mediterranean, hell, I had never had hummus until living here. Experiencing this city requires experiencing the food as much as anything else.

The City
An absolutely amazing place. The beauty of it all is ever changing with the constant change in the weather. I find that watching the fog sweep over the City can be as intoxicating as watching the sun set overlooking the pacific on a clear day.

In conclusion...

I'm sure eventually I'll become jaded just like everyone else, but I am having the time of my life so far. Those of you who find things to complain about here have lots of valid points (cost of living, etc), but most of the issues I read here are ridiculous and irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. You have no idea how good you have it. Go spend a summer in Houston and you'll never ***** again. And if you really hate it so much, then leave. Please. There're plenty of folks out there who would gladly take your place. Not trying to be preachy here, just trying to give some perspective.

This will be revisited after a year, and I'm sure it will be completely different. I just pray that it remains so positive.
Great post. Thanks for sharing. Couldn't agree more about the food. It is very difficult for me to cook something considering all the great options available within a short walk. The downside is that I ended up spending way more on eating and drinking out that I should have.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:02 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,364,081 times
To the OP: nice synopsis.

I got wickedly fat when I lived in the Sunset - LOL!

The parking thing is definitely annoying. But to be fair, when I see the shoehorn jobs some people try to pull off (we're talking hanging a foot into two drive ways) well, that's how it goes.

The worst thing is the car haters (inspired by "Ecotopia Emerging?") - they probably threw acid on your car. They also go on sidewalk patrol and turn in anyone who is more than 1mm onto the side walk.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:32 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,346,971 times
Quote:

My favorite areas
Lower Haight
Hayes Valley
Mission (of course)

The people

The culture

The roads

The weather

The food

The City

In conclusion...

Great post. I agree with you on the driving. While I grew up here, I never drove here before I moved to San Diego. Now that I am back I am driving here for the first time. Certainly a different experience. I live in Oakland but driving is similar. Where as SoCal puts the car first, the Bay Area is more pedestrian oriented. Here you can safely cross a street simply by stepping out into it at a crosswalk. In San Diego, crosswalk or not you had better make sure it's safe or you will be killed. There are also no crosswalks in the middle of a block there. One thing I had to get used to is that speed limits here are generally slower. Walking is perhaps the best way to get around here for s ure.

Anyway, glad you're enjoying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland