Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2011, 01:26 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,548,962 times

Advertisements

Anybody else seen this ad?

Bevan Dufty for Mayor: "Someplace New" - YouTube

Everytime I see this on tv, I immediately notice something. Not that its necessarily a bad thing, but his beautiful little girl is all dressed up like a boy, complete with a boy's haircut and while those superficial things arent really what matters, I can't help but notice and I can't help but think that this didnt go noticed by Dufty and his advisors prior to the ad going on the air.

Part of me suspects it might even be politically motivated trying to score points with some segments of the city, just had to put it the thought out there to see if I was alone in thinking that was just a little odd.

In any event, she still looks like a little angel, whether in girls clothes or boys clothes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 11:38 AM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times
I was a rough and tumble tomboy.... and I looked somewhat similar, although my mother insisted my hair be long. (And what a pain that was -- since I wouldn't take care of it, I had to have it in braids most of the time.)

Old 10-13-2011, 11:44 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,041,770 times
I've noticed this too when watching this ad. I never would've guessed that she was a little girl. Some girls are tomgirls, but I have a hard time believing that a little girl this young would really choose to look so boy-ish at her age without some adult influence. I think her "look" was chosen for political reasons.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:21 PM

330 posts, read 749,939 times
Hmm, not sure about this one. This is his daughter, and not just an actor. Maybe I'm too idealistic but I would really hope this guy wouldn't use his kid as a political tool (but if he was it certainly wouldn't be the first time by a politician). And he is openly gay, so I'm not sure his campaign really *needs* to do a whole lot of pandering to the gay community.

I do agree with your observation on the kid's appearance though. If it had not explicitly said so in the ad, I would have thought the kid was a boy.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:15 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,847,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil1212 View Post
he is openly gay, so I'm not sure his campaign really *needs* to do a whole lot of pandering to the gay community.
If the Muni was heading to the Castro, then the intention would be clear.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:25 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,281,603 times
His child looks that way on his campaign site, so at least he's consistent. But honestly, who cares?

Old 10-14-2011, 01:47 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,450,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
If the Muni was heading to the Castro, then the intention would be clear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland