Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 09:43 PM

4 posts, read 6,257 times

Advertisements

The possibilities seem vast. Work would be downtown. Looking at Novato, Mill Valley (ouch'!), San Rafael etc. Will be renting the first year or two until we find "our" area. Our kids are 6 and 7. looking for something rustic and off the beaten path. Willing to spend extra time commuting. So many choices so appreciate any insight. The Pacific is calling me home ... So a connection to the water helps. Help?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 10:40 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,073,932 times
You're not giving us much to work on...budget, how you want to commute, etc.

Novato and San Rafael could work and aren't as expensive as southern Marin but they are suburban, not rustic. Keep in mind that the only way to get to downtown SF is by 101 (which gets slammed with traffic), buses on the highway, or ferries from I think Sausalito or Larkspur. Parking in downtown SF is really expensive (just like downtown Chicago) so keep that in mind, you probably don't want to pay for parking on top of bridge tolls and gas mileage unless you're a zillionaire.

If you want somewhat more rustic than sprawly suburb plus BART train access then maybe look at Lafayette, Orinda and Moraga. Really depends on your budget though.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:00 PM

75 posts, read 204,482 times
Oh boy, you're in for a shock.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:11 PM

506 posts, read 1,154,208 times
There are town houses and apartments for rent in the Presidio, if that's in your price range. Rustic, varyingly distant from the beaten path, and near the ocean! I believe rent includes a shuttle to/from downtown. (At least, the offices include it. I don't know why the residences wouldn't.) Residential Leasing - Presidio of San Francisco (http://www.presidio.gov/leasing/residentialleasing/ - broken link)

Old 10-12-2011, 06:44 AM

169 posts, read 476,128 times
Lots of former Chicagoans around here who could help you get oriented if you provide more information. Good luck.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:39 PM

All, sorry for not giving more details. Work will actually be in the Pleasanton/Dublin area (though they have an office downtown as well but that's apparently not where I'd be located). I am ok with a 1 hour commute. The last thing I want is some cookie cutter suburban area with no interesting landscape, spirituality or culture/vibe. As far as budget, I'm open ... for rent I'd prefer to not pay more than $3500/month. The few areas I have visited is Danville, and I liked that (seemed to have yoga and a very fit community). Eventually we want to buy but initially I want to learn about the areas. I'd love to live downtown due to my cultural preference, but the husband wants yard etc. If there was a small coastal community I'd be all over it but doesn't seem to be much of that in the SF area? I appreciate all and any thoughts and feedback. The very last thing I want is typical suburbia.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isebiel View Post
There are town houses and apartments for rent in the Presidio, if that's in your price range. Rustic, varyingly distant from the beaten path, and near the ocean! I believe rent includes a shuttle to/from downtown. (At least, the offices include it. I don't know why the residences wouldn't.) Residential Leasing - Presidio of San Francisco (http://www.presidio.gov/leasing/residentialleasing/ - broken link)
I'd love the Presidio. Are there any single family houses there or just city type living (condos etc.)? Any easy connections to the Bart? Thanks for the insight.

Old 10-20-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charbo View Post
Oh boy, you're in for a shock.
How so? That's what people told me when I moved to Chicago from LA.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:01 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,073,932 times
You wouldn't want to live in the Presidio to get to Dublin, and you definitely wouldn't want to commute from Marin. I'd look at Oakland and Alameda if you want urbane with cool architecture. $3500 would be a high budget for an apartment, might be able to rent a house though or look into buying a house/condo.

Danville is pretty suburban but you might like the suburban vibe around here, it's sprawly but people everywhere in the Bay Area are into yoga, organic food, excercise like hiking and biking etc. Walnut Creek has a cool downtown area that is like a big outdoor mall.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:06 PM

297 posts, read 766,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldWider View Post
All, sorry for not giving more details. Work will actually be in the Pleasanton/Dublin area (though they have an office downtown as well but that's apparently not where I'd be located). I am ok with a 1 hour commute. The last thing I want is some cookie cutter suburban area with no interesting landscape, spirituality or culture/vibe. As far as budget, I'm open ... for rent I'd prefer to not pay more than $3500/month. The few areas I have visited is Danville, and I liked that (seemed to have yoga and a very fit community). Eventually we want to buy but initially I want to learn about the areas. I'd love to live downtown due to my cultural preference, but the husband wants yard etc. If there was a small coastal community I'd be all over it but doesn't seem to be much of that in the SF area? I appreciate all and any thoughts and feedback. The very last thing I want is typical suburbia.
If you're working in Pleasanton, then I'd say forget Marin, I used to live in San Rafael and commuted to Oakland, and that alone took 45 min to an hour, from Oakland to Pleasanton, I would guess would take about 30 minutes. As someone else said Lamorinda area is nice, its surburban but has character and is very nice, good for families. If you want to be near the water, you might want to look at Alameda too, its very charming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland