Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2011, 09:45 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Perhaps if the city hadn't spent millions on Tear Gas?
Now what you have is a Department short on Police Officers but with an abundant supply of Chemical Weapons to use on those pesky Veterans in Scott Olsen Square
There is no such place as Scott Olsen Square.

While I abhor what happened to him and believe the police were wrong in that instance, its still up to Oaklanders to name their own public spaces, not out-of-town anarchists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 09:49 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

While I abhor what happened to him and believe the police were wrong in that instance, its still up to Oaklanders to name their own public spaces, not out-of-town anarchists.
These anarchists need to die. I liked how a lot of the true protesters tried to stop them.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:21 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
These anarchists need to die. I liked how a lot of the true protesters tried to stop them.
Yeah, that was very commendable.

I think their attempts to stop the anarchists sent a clear message to the rest of us that this splinter group is clearly trying to rabble rouse and do not represent the greater cause.

On the other hand, one has to wonder. When people feel so betrayed by their government and it appears that nothing can be done to resolve the situation, how far would we be willing to go to fix it?

I dont know. I've put lots of money into campaign after campaign for candidates I thought would truly make a difference and in the end has done nothing but perpetuated the status quo.

Something(I dont know exactly what) has a strangehold on our political and economic infrastructure that needs to be squashed.

And I dont believe Obama or Boehner or anyone else in leadership is sincere about changing anything.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:42 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Yeah, that was very commendable.

I think their attempts to stop the anarchists sent a clear message to the rest of us that this splinter group is clearly trying to rabble rouse and do not represent the greater cause.

On the other hand, one has to wonder. When people feel so betrayed by their government and it appears that nothing can be done to resolve the situation, how far would we be willing to go to fix it?

I dont know. I've put lots of money into campaign after campaign for candidates I thought would truly make a difference and in the end has done nothing but perpetuated the status quo.

Something(I dont know exactly what) has a strangehold on our political and economic infrastructure that needs to be squashed.

And I dont believe Obama or Boehner or anyone else in leadership is sincere about changing anything.
Yeah. Unfortunately, it's known as human nature

Several contributors to this thread, including myself, have posted links to stories about historical parallels: the Bonus Army, the Oakland protests of 1934, others ... pressures build -- and then they release energy. Once again, here we are. There's going to be some violence and collateral damage. I don't believe it will rise to anything even remotely close to the definition of violent revolution ... not even close. But the words "intermittent havoc" come to mind

A parallel in physics is the principle of entropy. It WILL have its way, too.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:32 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:

He was the first casualty at Americas Tianamen Square.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:36 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
You're defending the right of people to bottle and stone police officers and vandalize small businesses, who also happen to be part of the 99%? Those weren't veterans, they were opportunist anarchists, and the Occupy Oakland movement better rope them in quick if they don't want to lose all credibility.
Are you saying Scott Olsen isn't a Veteran?
Are you saying the Veterans Organizations there don't exist?
How many of the demonstrators are Laid Off Oakland Police Officers and Firemen?
Perhaps the City could have kept Officers at work and not spent the money on Tear Gas

I'm reminded that the Bonus Army was labeled a bunch of Communist by the Republicans

Old 11-03-2011, 12:02 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Its obvious that Oakland is now in the forefront of the Occupy movement-for better or for worse.

I still support the broader message of Occupy Oakland, but I dont support occupying and vandalizing Whole Foods, I dont really understand that logic behind occupying the Port? And a bonfire? Really?

It seems to me that the vandals dont represent the movement but rather they are anarchists who are using the Occupy movement to reak havoc--just like they did during the BART police trial.
I wish this .01% would just stay home.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:02 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,410,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
He was the first casualty at Americas Tianamen Square.
ROTFLMFAO

No dude, just no. When the police tell you to stand down, you clear the hell out of the way. Also, this rallying around Scott Olsen is duplicitous nonsense. In the Bush years with the wars in full swing, Olsen would have been labeled a baby killer, murderer, or a war criminal by these same people. Now he's a rallying point? I call BS on that.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:06 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,949,414 times
The State of California is Occupied... by the wealthy interests and the rich. They'll crush any protest here. Time to get the hell out of this corrupt state.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:10 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:

Bare naked stinking greed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland