U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 08:21 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,427,149 times

Advertisements

Ok...so I am a Young Professional working in the Biotech industry as an analyst and am currently in the DC area. I think living here is OK but I have fallen in love (literally) with California and its people and desperately want to move to SF or LA. What do you people think are some of the differences between DC, SF and LA? Am I expecting a culture shock moving from DC?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 08:54 PM

5,921 posts, read 7,257,041 times
I spent a lot of my youth growing up outside DC (Fairfax County) and I have to say that the DC area has wayyyyy more in common with LA than SF and the Bay Area. Politics and Hollywood are actually pretty similar. If you're into flashy cars and ostentatiousness, LA is probably much less of a culture shock than SF. The Bay Area has its fair share of snobby and pretentious people, but in my experience it tends to be more concentrated to a few areas instead of being more widespread.

DC has its charms (great nightlife, awesome museums, beautiful architecture), but I would never move back there- especially NOVA. In fact, I always hate coming home to visit my parents in NOVA because it reminds me of the worst aspects of LA, coupled with terrible weather and no beaches.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:07 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 6,702,959 times
Biotech (like healthcare) is a generally lower IQ, lower income industry than tech (esp software/Net) which dominates economy and culture of PaloAlto corridor

Amgen is world's most valuable biotech co. but is based in exurbia of 1000 Oaks (light years difft from BevHills/CentCity)...and Amgen workers are far lower in socio-economic food chain than those who work at LA's leading hedge funds in CentCity/SM

And ole Roche-Genen/Gilead are in dumpy SSF/FC

Need to sort out if one is comfortable being in a corridor where intellectually/economically dominant professionals are in an industry far removed from one's own....tech and hedge funds are workaholic industries where most yuppies choose to live/work/socialize amongst peers in relevant industries and are often far removed from those outside these industries...

Old 10-14-2011, 12:40 AM

13 posts, read 16,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Biotech (like healthcare) is a generally lower IQ, lower income industry than tech (esp software/Net) which dominates economy and culture of PaloAlto corridor

Amgen is world's most valuable biotech co. but is based in exurbia of 1000 Oaks (light years difft from BevHills/CentCity)...and Amgen workers are far lower in socio-economic food chain than those who work at LA's leading hedge funds in CentCity/SM

Need to sort out if one is comfortable being in a corridor where intellectually/economically dominant professionals are in an industry far removed from one's own....tech and hedge funds are workaholic industries where most yuppies choose to live/work/socialize amongst peers in relevant industries and are often far removed from those outside these industries...
Biotech is huge in the Bay Area...I am truly amazed at how large the sector is out here. Very impressive!

Old 10-14-2011, 09:57 AM
rah

3,315 posts, read 8,640,982 times
Quote:
Biotech (like healthcare) is a generally lower IQ, lower income industry than tech (esp software/Net)

And ole Roche-Genen/Gilead are in dumpy SSF/FC.
As usual, you seem to be living in your own little fantasy land. Lower IQ huh? And if you consider SSF and Foster City "dumpy", you must think about 90% of the country is dumpy.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:38 AM

943 posts, read 1,202,987 times
Quote:

This is the most bizarre post I've seen on CD in a while. And that's saying a lot.

Biotech workers have low IQ?

Thousand Oaks is an exurb? It's not that far from the L.A. city limits.

Amgen workers are low on the socio-economic food chain? (Well, maybe if you compare with multi-millionaire hedge fund managers, but then, who isn't?)

Foster City is dumpy?

Heck, I'm a software engineer so I have nothing personally to gain from saying anything good about biotech. But come on.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:44 AM

5,242 posts, read 12,241,056 times
You haven't seen hsw posts before? He's like the Charlie Sheen of clueless SV techies. Winning!

Old 10-14-2011, 10:57 AM

5,921 posts, read 7,257,041 times
Yeah, I read that post and wondered WTH it had to do with ANYTHING the OP asked...

Old 10-14-2011, 03:36 PM

5,242 posts, read 12,241,056 times
hsw literally drinking tiger blood while driving at 90mph on 280 past the slums of San Bruno in his Benz built by highly-skilled Germans who make $900,000 per year

Old 10-15-2011, 02:11 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,318,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
hsw literally drinking tiger blood while driving at 90mph on 280 past the slums of San Bruno in his Benz built by highly-skilled Germans who make $900,000 per year
While making deals on his blackberry for his hedge fund and thanking god for valet parking and freeways-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland