Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:12 PM

161 posts, read 731,131 times

Advertisements

SF is full of single people. you should have no problems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 01:14 AM

989 posts, read 2,441,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wen5155 View Post
Ok, dating in NYC is harsh. This is not my thoughts, this is what it is if you ask anyone, male or female. The reason is because it is so random. You meet so many people on a given night and everyone is a little tipsy. Yes, everyone is shooting for the moon. If you walk anywhere in NYC you will see the average guy with the most beautiful girls. You see 30 year old beautiful girls going after the 25 year old investment bankers. I am good looking and my friends are, as well. Yes, I do have high expectations, but I don't think it's unreasonable to want a smart guy (I graduated ivy league so I don't want a dummy), and someone a little above average looking with a nice personality. If that is shooting too high, then what can I say. The girls here in NYC are mostly beautiful, smart and successful. The competition is fierce and the guys are brutal. Last night, for instance, I was on a date and the guy told me he makes a lot of money and he can get any girl he wants. This is the NY attitude...I kid you not. When I was visiting SF this guy told me that the girls in SF are not 9's or 10's like NY but more like 6's and 7's. I think this is probably true since NY and LA attact beautiful women.

how do these people make all their money? I want to move to NYC and make a lot of money and get any girl I want.

I don't know about SF, but San Diego definitely is full of 9's and 10's. I assumed all of California was? If not, maybe you would be better off in San Francisco.

How'd you afford an Ivy League education? Just because you graduated Ivy League doesn't mean you are any more intelligent than those who graduated from lesser schools.

Old 08-25-2007, 03:04 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsomeguy View Post
how do these people make all their money? I want to move to NYC and make a lot of money and get any girl I want.
I don't think one person can answer that for all of NYC!! There are - what? - 9 million people there? So I'd assume they all have different jobs, and made their money in a wide variety of ways.

Quote:
I don't know about SF, but San Diego definitely is full of 9's and 10's. I assumed all of California was? If not, maybe you would be better off in San Francisco.
Once again, it's pretty hard to generalize about millions of people. There are beautiful people & ugly people in San Francisco, just like most of the world... but I will say we're different from SoCal girls overall, since we're not as stereotypically "Californian" (partly due to our colder weather).

Quote:
How'd you afford an Ivy League education? Just because you graduated Ivy League doesn't mean you are any more intelligent than those who graduated from lesser schools.
Wellllll... that might be true, but you won't find many dummies (or even people of "so-so" intelligence) in an Ivy League school! Doesn't matter how much money you have, brains & good grades are the minimum requirement for acceptance - unless you're a Bush, I suppose. Oh, and why are you asking how she paid for school? Not sure if that's a loaded question, but I think that's getting a tad personal.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:49 AM

18 posts, read 86,003 times
Most of the men and women in NYC make a lot of money in Finance fields such as investment banking or fields that branch out from that. Most of the guys make $150,000 to $250,000 easy. But, then again, they work very long hours and are very smart in their fields. They rule Wall Street. The women in fashion or public relations, can make about $125,000. That's about the norm.

Ivy League schools cost the same as any other private college.

Regarding NYC and my complaints about the men....it's true there are millions of people and its hard to believe one can generalize. But, I'm going by my experience, all of my friend's experiences. Plus, I hear it from all the single guys. They say they have it great. They say they feel like they are in a candy store. Yes, I think its safe to generalize when you talk to enough people and see and hear all that I did!

Now, getting back to SF, I still havent received any real comments on my important questions. I still feel I don't have a handle on the single's scene, the night life, where to meet and if SF is easier for single women than single men. Anyone out there really have some experience with dating in SF?

Old 08-25-2007, 10:16 AM

7 posts, read 46,330 times
Forbes magazine just rated San Francisco the best city for singles for 2007

#1 San Francisco-Oakland - Forbes.com

Old 08-25-2007, 10:57 PM

34 posts, read 180,350 times
Wen5155, I'm a single guy and quite a bit older than you, so I can't comment on the dating scene for a 20 something, pedigree educated, career girl from NYC.

However what I can tell you about my 14yrs living in SF and knowing many people in all age brackets from 20's to 70's, is get "involved".

What I mean is, SF is a bit different in NYC in that, everything in that incredible jungle in NYC is just a taxi ride or subway ride downtown or uptown.
Millions of people, clubs, theaters, fashion, you name it, it is right there waiting for you.

However, every successful career person I know in SF, and that is many, are involved in civic organizations, sports, lots of outdoor activities, or something or another.

Here's my interpretation of a NYC'er: Well Educated, Puts in long hours at the office, and when the weekend hits or maybe starting on Thurs night, hits the best clubs, restaurants, you name it and will stay out till the wee hours of the morning. Its a late night city, and it does have everything. Yes they do outdoor activities but things are some what limited in NYC by the concrete jungle.

However a young single professional in SF is probably Well Educated, mind you Ivy League rules on the East Coast, and Cal-Berkeley and Stanford rule the Bay Area along with other Pac Ten colleges. People work hard and often late, however, you betcha, that the 10K they are going to run, the ski trip to Tahoe in the Winter, sailing on the Bay, the Hike or their Mountain Biking trek is not going to get in the way of their nightlife. People embrace the outdoors in the Bay Area, young and old.

There are plenty of places for a young 20's something to stay out all night, however, I'll betcha the kind of guy you are looking for in the Bay Area, will be in bed by 11pm on a Friday night, so he can be up at 7:00am Saturday morning to enjoy his sport of choice.

Also remember SF has a population of slight over 780K I believe, I think someone told me that on a given business day Manhattan has 5 Million people on the island alone, and I believe it.

SF is incredible, you just can compare it on the same level as NYC. SF has many of the offerings that NYC has, it is just a village in comparison!

Good Luck!

Last edited by friendlyflyer; 08-25-2007 at 11:17 PM..

Old 08-25-2007, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wen5155 View Post
Most of the men and women in NYC make a lot of money in Finance fields such as investment banking or fields that branch out from that. Most of the guys make $150,000 to $250,000 easy. But, then again, they work very long hours and are very smart in their fields. They rule Wall Street. The women in fashion or public relations, can make about $125,000. That's about the norm.

Ivy League schools cost the same as any other private college.

Regarding NYC and my complaints about the men....it's true there are millions of people and its hard to believe one can generalize. But, I'm going by my experience, all of my friend's experiences. Plus, I hear it from all the single guys. They say they have it great. They say they feel like they are in a candy store. Yes, I think its safe to generalize when you talk to enough people and see and hear all that I did!

Now, getting back to SF, I still havent received any real comments on my important questions. I still feel I don't have a handle on the single's scene, the night life, where to meet and if SF is easier for single women than single men. Anyone out there really have some experience with dating in SF?

Well that settles out, I guess I'm off to NYC to become an investment banker or wall street guru. I want to feel like I am in a candy store. I wonder if most of those men are Jewish.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't think one person can answer that for all of NYC!! There are - what? - 9 million people there? So I'd assume they all have different jobs, and made their money in a wide variety of ways.

Once again, it's pretty hard to generalize about millions of people. There are beautiful people & ugly people in San Francisco, just like most of the world... but I will say we're different from SoCal girls overall, since we're not as stereotypically "Californian" (partly due to our colder weather).

Wellllll... that might be true, but you won't find many dummies (or even people of "so-so" intelligence) in an Ivy League school! Doesn't matter how much money you have, brains & good grades are the minimum requirement for acceptance - unless you're a Bush, I suppose. Oh, and why are you asking how she paid for school? Not sure if that's a loaded question, but I think that's getting a tad personal.

My point is not all of us have millionaire daddies that can afford Ivy League education for us. The tone of this post sounds pretty elitist. I'm sure if the OP spent less time looking for millionaire investment bankers with Ivy League educations to date she could probably find herself a decent man in NYC. Geez, I mean, there are only 10 million men there, c'mon.

Old 08-26-2007, 09:29 AM

130 posts, read 597,672 times
friendlyflyer, you are right on the money. the guy u described in sf, was me. lol! (but throw in travelling all over the US 'n Canada 2 weeks out of the year to boot!)
(sigh) sucks to be so easily pegged. ;-)

Old 08-26-2007, 07:22 PM

18 posts, read 86,003 times
Hi. Geez..I didn't mean to come off so elitist. I was just trying to make the point that I want a smart guy, not ivy league...just a guy with a head on his shoulders, a sweet guy, a guy who won't run around from one beautiful model to the next. I don't think I'm asking for the moon, either. But, maybe you think I (or girls like me) should just settle for a bartender, or a pizza delivery man. I don't know, I just am trying to be honest so people will answer me just as honestly. My parents are not wealthy, but they worked very hard to give me a good eduation. And I worked hard all throught school, was recruited for crew, learned several languages, volunteered many hours to help the aged...so that I can get into a good school and get a good quality job. I don't think this is being spoiled. I would do the same for my kids someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland