Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 12:37 PM

139 posts, read 202,148 times

Advertisements

I just got an offer to relocate to SanFrancisco area. Having never lived on the west coast, I'd appreciate any and all help in finding the best neighborhoods to live in. I am looking to rent for below 2500$ and possibly buy for below 500K. I have 2 elderly parents who stay with me and a daughter who visits occasionally and will be looking for a 2BR in a very safe neighborhood.
I will be working in Presidio so I guess public transportation is not an option. I do have a car but am not too thrilled about driving a manual up those hilly roads. Hoping to keep commute below an hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2011, 02:28 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Should be able to find a 2br in the Richmond District for under $2500. There are some Muni buses that go through the Presidio as well as the Presidi-Go. If you want to live in the burbs then maybe check out San Rafael or Novato.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:15 PM

25 posts, read 41,256 times
You definitely have options. San Francisco is a wonderful place to live and work, easy to get around and the weather, although sometimes foggy and cold during the summer months, is mild compared to most of the country.

Yes, you can find a place in the Richmond district for under $2,500. SF is divided into districts and there are plenty of great neighborhoods. SF is a relatively safe place but it is a city and does have some areas you probably don't want to live in. Here is a district map SFAR District Map The Presidio is in District 7 so that will give you an idea of proximity. The bus/public transportation system is good but if you work in the Presidio you will be in one of the few work places that has parking.

As far as purchasing...$500k in SF is challenging to find in a decent neighbor. You may be able to find a small condo. As mayorhagger stated above, Marin county is a very viable option. Commute from Novato is 35-40 minutes without traffic but in the am and pm traffic is pretty heavy. San Rafael is typically where SF commuters stop their search as the traffic tends to get heavier north of San Rafael.

Rents in Marin and SF are in high demand right now so when you find something you like, jump on it. Are you comfortable living in a city? One of the great things about Marin county is besides Novato, it's really not all that suburban. There are several cities with cute walkable downtowns, lots of boutiques, restaurants, services that aren't all shoved into a strip mall. Marin also has some of the best weather, mild winters and warm summers. You also get more for your money and could find a 3 bedroom/2 bath rental for $2,500 in San Rafael or Novato but probably not in the southern marin cities unless it is a condo. Craigs list is still the best place to find rentals.

To purchase a home for under $500k in Marin you want to focus on Northers San Rafael and Novato to get the most house for your $$.

Sounds like your first decision is do you want the urban SF life or a quieter more suburban life in Marin. Keep in mind the Presidio is just south of the Golden Gate Bridge which makes it the easiest location to commute to in SF from Marin.

I have lived in SF and marin my whole life so feel free to email me offline with specific questions. I love sharing my knowledge of the area.

Good luck!

Old 10-17-2011, 05:28 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,231,974 times
In addition to the Richmond District and the Marin County (keep in mind you have to pay bridge toll); Presidio itself has rental housing, check out their website:

Residential Leasing - Presidio of San Francisco (http://www.presidio.gov/leasing/residentialleasing/ - broken link)

As for buying in SF, I think Central and Outer Sunset/Parkside probably fit your budget and is the closest to the Presidio.

Old 10-17-2011, 05:40 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,792,765 times
Why not in Richmond or Presidio itself, both should have housing for under $2500 a month and commute would be nice.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:18 PM

139 posts, read 202,148 times
Thanks everyone. Appreciate the links and the map. Good to know Presidio itself has rental housing, although its a little smaller sq foot wise for the price.
We do have parking at the office, but I want to avoid driving on steep hilly roads.
Also, looking around the internet, seems like Pacifica and DalyCity are commutable and less expensive. Any reason none of you mentioned them?

Old 10-21-2011, 07:30 PM

They would work and would save you the bridge toll from Marin at least, but they get super foggy. Millbrae or anywhere south from there on the Peninsula could work too if you want sunnier and warmer.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:17 PM

3 posts, read 2,562 times
I was offered a position in SF, and I arrived this weekend. I have an offer letter in hand, and my new firm is going to be a little flexible on the move in as I'm moving close to 2500 miles.
I know SF although not entirely, as I have visited multiple times for work mostly.
I knew it was very competitive, I went to viewings and took applications, but I am staying in hotel so cost but mostly time is a factor. I am going first thing tomorrow to submit my application for an apt I saw today, the other requested fax, so that's doable, I have called another realtor who hasn't posted on Craigslist, but that's going nowhere, phone tag.
I was thinking of looking elsewhere in SF, I was looking at Richmond, Sunset, I saw one for Bernal Heights, but I don't know the neighborhood in regard to safety, etc.
Also, someone told me to try the East Bay if all else fails.
I was looking at Oakland, but I know nothing of Oakland.
Does anyone have any pointers in regard to these showings. I show up on time or early, but it doesn't seem to help, and if someone knows Oakland what are good neighborhoods in regard to safety and convenience, I currently don't have a car.

Thanks.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:41 PM

14,680 posts, read 14,645,402 times
With no car in Oakland, the best neighborhoods would be Rockridge or North Berkeley (in Berkeley) which are near BART stations. The Lake Merritt station area might work for you as well, if you use Google Maps to find what is within walking distance (the Lake itself is quite large). You don't mind downtown living you can look at apartments or condos right downtown which is also near two BART stations, but since you're unfamiliar I wouldn't stray too far west of Broadway at night.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:14 PM

When looking for apartments in SF, definitely show up early, I've gotten an apartment once only because I was the first person at the viewing. Bring a copy of your credit report (and have some extras made for the next viewings you go to) and have a generic rental application already filled out, some landlords will take this. If you like the place be pushy without being annoying, and ask if you can put in an application or even if you can sign a lease, most landlords won't do it but some will let you sign it on the spot and give you the key.

Really other than having good credit and paystubs to show you can afford the place, I don't get what landlords are looking for, maybe proof that you have a Nobel Prize or for you to give them a bribe or something. When the rental market in SF is tight they'll take hundreds and hundreds of applications but not pick anyone even though the apartment is some dumpy cheap place, they still want to wait until they find the perfect prince charming tenant or something. Basically just be persistent and prepared and hopefully you'll find something, but it can be frustrating.

For Oakland, Rockridge and the Temescal are near BART. The areas around Lake Merritt like Adam's Point are cheaper but kind of a hike from BART. Piedmont Ave is nice but can be a hike to the Macarthur BART station.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland