Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2011, 12:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,339 times

Advertisements

I'm a single mom that was just offered a job in the Santa Cruz area. I'd like to live in a safe neighborhood that has a good school district for my 1st grader. Is it unrealistic to think I can survive on $3000 take home a month? I've looked at places in the mountains and am wondering if the cost of propane &/or gas to drive back and forth would offset the lower rent. I've been thinking perhaps we could get by in a one bedroom apartment for a year if necessary. Suggestions on where in the area and whether mountain living would really save me any money? TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2015, 05:09 AM

1,622 posts, read 1,080,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susansaid View Post
I'm a single mom that was just offered a job in the Santa Cruz area. I'd like to live in a safe neighborhood that has a good school district for my 1st grader. Is it unrealistic to think I can survive on $3000 take home a month? I've looked at places in the mountains and am wondering if the cost of propane &/or gas to drive back and forth would offset the lower rent. I've been thinking perhaps we could get by in a one bedroom apartment for a year if necessary. Suggestions on where in the area and whether mountain living would really save me any money? TIA
Everytime I visit Santa Cruz I see homeless playing on iPads in the park. I think one bedrooms run $1500+. To survive on 3k a month you'd need to split a studio with a roommate. With the large number of poor hippies in the area, I wouldn't be surprised if many would be willing to do that.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:04 AM

901 posts, read 1,161,658 times
Check out Scotts Valley. You could think of it as mountain suburb of SC. Your'e right, the mountain towns will be cheaper. Some SC natives here could chime in with more info, but i thought i'd write in case they don't.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:11 AM

520 posts, read 606,948 times
Also try the San Jose forum if you haven't already.

Old 06-06-2015, 11:24 AM

102,086 posts, read 107,127,293 times
Even living in Scotts Valley, it will be a challenge to support two on that budget, OP. Where are you moving from?

I just took a look, and there are some nice 1-br. apartments in the Scotts Valley/Felton area for $1300 and $1400/mo. One is a spacious condo with a big kitchen. It seems like, with luck, you'll find something affordable. Be aware that the best time to look is in the summer, when the university is out for the summer.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:03 AM

12 posts, read 13,809 times
How much do you get ? 3k take home before cost of day care? Is day care subsidized for you? If you put away 1500 in rent, 1500 take home might be too less for day care + expenses for you and your child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland