Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 09:18 PM

23 posts, read 35,151 times

Advertisements

To quixotic59:

I actually use a Flip 3rd generation camcorder, 8 GB version.

The image stabilization is unbelievable on that thing. I use a heavy Manfrotto tripod, and situate the legs on the passenger side (with the front leg on the passenger floor, and the 2 other legs positioned just beside both sides of the passenger seat) in a way so that the tripod remains relatively stable.

The tripod will shake a little bit here and there, because no car is going to provide a perfect ride at 65+ MPH, but a good camcorder with excellent image stabilization will take care of any shaking issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 10:05 PM

24,348 posts, read 26,787,175 times
Nice video! I'd like to see your next one coming from 280 to downtown San Francisco

Old 10-22-2011, 04:25 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,481,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreewayBrent View Post
To quixotic59:

I actually use a Flip 3rd generation camcorder, 8 GB version.

The image stabilization is unbelievable on that thing. I use a heavy Manfrotto tripod, and situate the legs on the passenger side (with the front leg on the passenger floor, and the 2 other legs positioned just beside both sides of the passenger seat) in a way so that the tripod remains relatively stable.

The tripod will shake a little bit here and there, because no car is going to provide a perfect ride at 65+ MPH, but a good camcorder with excellent image stabilization will take care of any shaking issues.
Thanks Freeway. I used a Canon FS11 camcorder and its own weight was a problem. Didn't think the Flip was that good. Will have to try the wife's.
Now if I can only convince her to sit in the back seat and make room for the tripod!

Keep up the great work! We're headed to San Francisco this summer and will be driving the same route into town! Look forward to seeing the real thing.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:53 PM

793 posts, read 1,331,358 times
Excellent!

The music is perfect too.

Old 10-23-2011, 04:52 PM

@BMW335xi: I plan on doing an I-380 West to I-280 North video, into San Francisco. Maybe in a month or two, I'll release it.

@Radio Flyer: Glad you enjoyed!

Old 10-23-2011, 06:03 PM

167 posts, read 239,134 times
I simply love your videos. Glad your on here. Would you mind a request to do some videos driving the expressway system in Santa Clara County?

Old 10-23-2011, 06:49 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,481,231 times
Brent, if you don't mind telling, what software did you use to create your videos?

Old 10-23-2011, 07:46 PM

793 posts, read 1,331,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreewayBrent View Post
@BMW335xi: I plan on doing an I-380 West to I-280 North video, into San Francisco. Maybe in a month or two, I'll release it.

@Radio Flyer: Glad you enjoyed!

Your videos are done so well, they're kind of hypnotizing...A car ride should be boring, but somehow on your videos it isn't.

Old 10-24-2011, 04:09 PM

330 posts, read 747,831 times
Hey this is pretty cool....out of curiosity have you done Highway 101 through Humboldt County, the stretch that runs through the redwoods along the Eel River? That might be my favorite drive ever. Just stunning.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:58 AM

@SFBAguy: Thanks for the kind words. I really wanted to record some of the Santa Clara County expressway's when I was up there a week ago, but it just didn't happen. The Central Expressway would have been a good one; particularly the 3 mile freeway section. Hopefully next time.

@quixotic59: Of course, not at all! I use Adobe Premiere Elements 9, but a bit of a warning; the program is a HUGE, and I mean HUGE resource hog, that is prone to crashing. Honestly, I can't recommend it, but since I'm so comfortable with the program (I started with Elements Version 7, and graduated to 9), I'm too stubborn to switch to a more user-friendly program, such as Sony Vegas.

Ultimately, I would love to purchase an Apple MacBook Pro, and get Final Cut Express 4 (the newest edition of Final Cut has gotten some complaints from average users, so I want FCE 4).

@Radio Flyer: Awesome to hear. I try to combine clear and stable HD footage, combined with music that sorta "fits" with the mood of the footage (weather, traffic levels, rural vs. urban, physical geography, etc.), replicas of the signs you would normally see while driving, and commentary that can cover a range of topics, from the history of the roadway, to tourism pointers, statistics, and even things related to popular culture.

I try to make the videos a lot more than just some raw footage of a roadway, so that mostly everyone can relate to what they're seeing, in some way, shape or form.

@SunDevil1212: I haven't been up that way in about 4 years, and I do miss it a lot. I really want to record the Avenue of the Giants (California State Route 255/Old U.S. 101) sometime. You're right, it is indeed a great drive.

Call me crazy, but I've driven almost every stretch of freeway in the western United States (including the hybrid 2 lane highway/4 lane freeway stretches of US 101, up to Crescent City). And no, I'm not a trucker...just a 29 year old guy who decided to spend 2 years of his life and most of his savings on traveling all over North America, knowing that it's awfully hard to accomplish something like that, once you're married with kids. Kinda broke these days, but I still have no regrets, after everything I've seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland