Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2011, 04:09 PM

7 posts, read 12,695 times

Advertisements

Since my husband got a job in Alameda, we are looking to rent a 4bd/2bth house under $3000.00 ..Its seems Alameda is out due to price..Which area would be better - Dublin / Concord and what about the commute / schools / crime...

Thanks alot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2011, 05:44 PM

9 posts, read 16,185 times
Hi, May I ask where you are looking at rentals? Craiglist, property management companies, etc??? I am wondering because we are moving to the bay area too ( husband will be working in SF). I have been also looking at rentals in Alameda and some other areas too. I have not been able to find many places to look for rentals other than Craiglist. I just wondering if there are other places we could look?? Also, I agree rent is expensive. I hear the further east from SF the more you get for your $$.
One other problem we are having is we have a dog. It seems no one want to allow pets. Anyway, good luck on your search and move!

Old 10-18-2011, 06:51 PM

Hi, I am looking on Trulia under rentals.. They have houses, apartments and townhouses..I hear finding pet friendly is difficult..

Everything is expensive and square footage is tiny..But the further away it does get better, but the commute becomes crazy..I am hearing nightmares..

Good Luck on that site

Old 10-19-2011, 01:50 PM

457 posts, read 1,177,837 times
Schools in Dublin are better per test scores. The area immediately surrounding Dublin has less crime and has a lot of different things to do and places to shop.

I do like a few places around Concord however Concord itself seems to have poor school ratings and somewhat of a crime problem compared to its immediate neighboring city, Walnut Creek.

Use Schoolperformancemaps.com for school ratings.

Craigslist, Trulia, Realtor.com, Movoto and all the other real estate website sometimes have rentals listed.

While using those websites take notice if it's a property management company listing the property and find their website. There are property management companies but they are hard to find sometimes.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:55 PM

Whats your thoughts on Livermore..It seems the housing is less expensive..

Let me know..Thanks

Old 10-20-2011, 02:01 AM

10,288 posts, read 8,448,121 times
Overall I like Livermore. The downtown was redone and they did a great job. You're commute will definitely be longer though. Not sure but I think Dublin's schools have really been getting a lot better and may be better than Livermore, but keep in mind it can change from one school to the other even within the same district.
Of the 3 I would pick Dublin as it is the most central to a lot of things and the commute is shorter and has less crime than Concord. I can't really think of anywhere bad in Dublin but I have been thru a few neighborhoods in Concord that don't seem that good.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:40 PM

291 posts, read 954,626 times
Livermore is a great family town, safe and with good schools. But commuting anywhere can be bad specially during commuting hours. It is doable if you have a flexible schedule or use the ACE (which doesn't go to Alameda unfortunately). I agree Dublin might be a better option although Dublin doesn't have some of the charm Livermore has, such as cute downtown and the wineries. Dublin has lots of track homes and strip malls...and a little sterile feel to it IMO. Home prices between Dublin and Livermore are not that different. Have you considered Pleasant Hill or Castro Valley (although home prices might be a bit higher)? Benicia is nice too but not sure how far you are willing to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland