Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2011, 06:38 PM

241 posts, read 711,510 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am trying to move to a nicer climate (currently in Edmonton, Alberta). It has been quite frustrating with the current state of the US economy to say the least. I have traveled all over the Western US including San Fransisco, but have never been to anywhere else in the Bay Area.

What is Dublin like?

Climate, restaurants (we do not eat at chains or similar...we do not need expensive places to eat but just some places for good food), recreation?

Is it just suburban sprawl or does it (or areas within 20-30 minute commute including traffic) have much character?

Are there many parks, nice areas to hike, bike, etc in the local area?

What is the housing market and rental market like? I would be looking for a 2-3 bedroom non cookie-cutter, non-suburbia house with a nice yard (some trees, etc.) within a 20-30 min Dublin commute. We would be renting for 6-12 mo and then purchasing if it seems like a good time wrt market conditions.

We are both professionals and combined income would be roughly 160-200k/year. No kids or plans for kids, schools etc do not matter at all. We can live in a big city or a small town, just want somewhere nice with some character, a somewhat affordable house (new or old and renovated), nice weather and lots of close-by outdoor opportunities.

To give you an idea of what we like, favourite cities in the US include San Diego and Portland.

Last edited by Daveydoe; 10-19-2011 at 06:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 06:46 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,036,610 times
It is suburban sprawl. If you want urban/urbane neighborhoods with architectural character in the East Bay, I'd look at the city of Alameda and the nice parts of Oakland. I dunno what a typical drive to Dublin from those areas would be, if Dublin is where you will work (your post is unclear).

Old 10-19-2011, 06:49 PM

Yes, job offer in Dublin.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
It is suburban sprawl. If you want urban/urbane neighborhoods with architectural character in the East Bay, I'd look at the city of Alameda and the nice parts of Oakland. I dunno what a typical drive to Dublin from those areas would be, if Dublin is where you will work (your post is unclear).
Can you define the nicer areas of Oakland. I have never been there, but for some reason I don't have a good impression of the area.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:53 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,036,610 times
Well the areas north and east of Lake Merritt are nice and there's a shopping strip on Grand north of the lake, and 580 passes right by there. Rockridge and the Temescal are nice and I guess you'd take Hwy 13 down to 580. The Dimond District is to the east of the lake, it gets repped here for being really diverse and pretty cheap and having low crime but I find it to be a little sleepy for my tastes but you might like it. Alameda is close to 880.

Again I dunno how the drive on the highways from these areas would be. If your office is near a BART station in Dublin then that could be a better option but most sprawly areas here like Dublin have a lot of office parks in the middle of nowhere that aren't convenient to public transit.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:05 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,728,449 times
The drive to Dublin would be a mostly reverse commute and pretty consistent. It takes 20 minutes on a typical day from North Oakland, and I'd imagine maybe 5-10 minutes more during commute. (The traffic would start when you get into the Dublin city limits, so you could always hop of the freeway and take Dublin Blvd if it is really bad.)

The way home should only be 20 minutes. There is rarely traffic in that direction in the PM.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,728,449 times
Oakland is a great place to live. Just prioritize your neighborhood type and we can make more detailed suggestions. There are plenty of diverse, vibrant, safe, and walkable areas with interesting architecture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland