Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 12:36 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,043,351 times

Advertisements

Oh great now he's busting out the McCarthyisms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2011, 10:01 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,739,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'm not a federal employee but I know many. I'd like to know where the average salary of $126K comes from. The federal guys I know, with one exception who is in the SES, make waaayyy less than that, and he makes just a bit more.
Agreed. SES's definitely make that (and more). That might be an upper end for GS-14s. Anything lower wouldn't.

At least several years ago when I worked in DC. Maybe the cost of living has gone up but I'd be suprised if it went up that much.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:53 PM

4,307 posts, read 6,242,937 times
If you want to reduce the deficit, fire 3/4 of all federal government workers. I consulted at a federal agency a few years ago and I can tell you that you get a lot of dimwhits who do nothing all day but collect a paycheck. As a current employee of a Silicon Valley high tech company, I can tell you that I easily do the job of 4 federal employees (and I don't retire with a guaranteed pension of 90% of my earnings).

Old 10-22-2011, 01:15 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,873,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Many taxpayer parasites, who claim to be "working" bureaucrats, cops, fire, mass transit, nonprofit (educ, hc, etc) etc etc earn >>$100K/yr, in numerous high-tax, highly-unionized places like DC, NYC/NJ, CA, IL, MI, etc....and mysteriously earn far more than similarly useless gvt/nonprofit workers in TX...and far more than similarly unproductive workers at many inefficient private cos.

But income doesn't translate to wealth

Much of big money in either Woodside or Manhattan or Dallas/Houston is created from taking risks of being an early employee (paid heavily in stock, not cash) of a successful start-up co., whether software or a hedge fund or unconventional oil&gas, not just being a well-paid drone at BigDumbCorp or BigDumbGvt or some crappy (though often sanctified by media) "small business"

Nearly any lazy monkey in commie towns like DC or SF or NYC can get a >$100K/yr gvt/nonprofit job (doesn't 800K town of SF have ~8K city workers who are paid >$100K/yr?)

Even in Woodside/Manhattan/Dall/Hou, it's only a few 1000 guys who create serious wealth for selves (and wealth and high-income jobs for their employees)...and it's most often by building own profitable business, not by being a trust fund kid or a taxpayer parasite....interestingly, almost zero valuable new businesses (or useful innovations) have been created in decaying commie regions like DC or Bos or EastBay or MI (or Paris) in past 25yrs...
Please...come back to reality. It's not that bad, here, in the real world.

Old 10-22-2011, 01:53 AM

36,641 posts, read 67,257,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
He contradicts himself in nearly every post.

In this case, SF is a commie town but not a dying commie region.

Which means he unknowingly believes that its possible for some commie regions to be extremely productive and wealthy. LOL. Jokes on him.

And this time I see he's elevated Houston and Dallas to the same level of esteem with which he regards Woodside and Manhattan.

We should let those cities know so they can throw a parade.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:47 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,791,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
Might be dealing with something other than the real world with this one - increasingly sounds more like a program than a human.

But back here in the real world, it is well known among us low-life commies in the non-profit biz in the South Bay that one gets quite a bit more working for the city/county for the same work or less, so the fact that federal employees are making a killing in a similar fashion is no surprise. Actually, I've heard a good amount of bragging about it. Pretty disingenuous given the state of the economy.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:28 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,317,822 times
Besides dot.gov jobs there is actually an increasingly vibrant high tech sector in the DC area. Virginia in particular is an easier place to do business than California.

Old 10-24-2011, 02:27 PM

36,641 posts, read 67,257,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Besides dot.gov jobs there is actually an increasingly vibrant high tech sector in the DC area.
Even if that's true, Im pretty certain that nearly all of those tech companies recieve federal contracts as at least a supermajority or simple majority of their annual revenue, because they make things directly for govt agencies, or they provide products outsourced by govt agencies or defense contractors.

Otherwise, venture capital in DC is pretty marginal and their output outside of govt spending plunges the region's wealth and GDP well below the Bay Area.

Quote:
Virginia in particular is an easier place to do business than California.
Virginia specifically has seen its share of federal contract spending quadruple in the past 10 years.

Ease with doing business does not really play a role in this case because the DC area is not cheap like Texas, its still very expensive, but that cost is of no consequence to a recklessly irresponsible federal government which has showered this particular region with hundreds of billions dollars in added spending while cutting back elsewhere.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:06 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,137,234 times
Natural correlation between the increase in population and the increase in the size of federal government. Accept and move on.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:37 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,529,455 times
Why not move some agencies to DC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland