Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2011, 07:01 PM

32 posts, read 100,248 times

Advertisements

You may remember I asked about living on Twin Peaks recently. I got a ton of helpful answers.

Let me ask something a bit more specific now, and keep in mind we have two young children and we'll have two cars (no getting around this, unfortunately) . . .

What if this were the choice:

Twin Peaks, $800 to $1000 under budget, with two-car garage, private outdoor space

OR

Noe Valley, at max budget, no parking, shared outdoor space?

Just trying to see how much living right in Noe Valley is worth to us. Also, I already have the children enrolled in preschool. It's a different neighborhood all together so I'll be driving them to school either way.

WWYD? And thanks again in advance since I know I'll get terrific answers!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 07:41 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlebound1 View Post
What if this were the choice:

Twin Peaks, $800 to $1000 under budget, with two-car garage, private outdoor space

OR

If the choice is Twin Peaks with a 2 car garage for $800 more vs. Noe Valley with no parking I would pick Twin Peaks. Without garage parking, people here do not move their cars all weekend because they are afraid of losing their parking space. Parking in many areas of the city is more difficult on the weekend.

Noe Valley is greatly overrated. There are about 4 or 5 blocks of trendy stores and restaurants along 24th St. There are also a few restaurants scattered along Church St. It is rather isolated from the most interesting northern parts of the city. The highlight of the neighborhood is the mini Whole Foods that took over the Cala location. The main advantage of Noe Valley is the easy access to 280 south.

There is still easy access to Noe Valley from Twin Peaks. Just drive down Burnett. Cross Portola and take Diamond Heights to Clipper into Noe Valley. Or go the northern route for variety. Twin Peaks,to Clayton to 17th. Turn right on Douglas,left on 18th and take Diamond into Noe Valley.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:47 PM

32 posts, read 100,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
If the choice is Twin Peaks with a 2 car garage for $800 more vs. Noe Valley with no parking I would pick Twin Peaks. Without garage parking, people here do not move their cars all weekend because they are afraid of losing their parking space. Parking in many areas of the city is more difficult on the weekend.

Noe Valley is greatly overrated. There are about 4 or 5 blocks of trendy stores and restaurants along 24th St. There are also a few restaurants scattered along Church St. It is rather isolated from the most interesting northern parts of the city. The highlight of the neighborhood is the mini Whole Foods that took over the Cala location. The main advantage of Noe Valley is the easy access to 280 south.

There is still easy access to Noe Valley from Twin Peaks. Just drive down Burnett. Cross Portola and take Diamond Heights to Clipper into Noe Valley. Or go the northern route for variety. Twin Peaks,to Clayton to 17th. Turn right on Douglas,left on 18th and take Diamond into Noe Valley.
Thanks. Seems like a no-brainer when you add in the parking issue. Only problem is that my husband does need to get to the 280 3-4 days a week. Seems work the extra bit of drive, no?

Old 10-25-2011, 08:56 PM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
Quote:
Thanks. Seems like a no-brainer when you add in the parking issue. Only problem is that my husband does need to get to the 280 3-4 days a week. Seems work the extra bit of drive, no?
Getting to the 280 or 101 from Twin Peaks is easy if one leaves early enough. Going down O'Shaughnessy towards Glen Park Station gives the option of taking either 280 south or 101 south(via 280 north).

Old 10-25-2011, 10:31 PM

23 posts, read 37,041 times
Twin Peaks.

We looked at several houses in Noe and for the price they just didn't click. Aside from the one block not much there really. I prefer living up the hill towards Twin Peaks better. I get a nice view, easy access to 280 & 101. Easy access to Muni.

Where I'm at I can walk to Cole Valley and Castro with lots of restaurants, hardware store, shops, etc. Golden Gate Park isn't too far away either.

Twin Peaks with garage is not even close vs. Noe Valley without garage IMO.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:49 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
Noe Valley is a better cool typical SF neighborhood but I also think it's kind of overrated considering how expensive it is, it doesn't have a ton of shops/restaurants and they're all kind of dowdy.

I think places like Twin Peaks get overlooked because it's not trendy and the housing is kind of goofy looking 60's buildings and you'd have to drive everywhere. If you're ok with driving everywhere then I think it would work. Driving in SF is actually not that bad once you get used to it, many places to go shopping have parking lots or are in parts of the city where it's not that bad to find a space. The worst thing about having a car in SF is finding a place to park when you get home from work, from around 5pm and later it's pretty impossible because everyone is driving back home from work and parking. Since you'd have that dealt with via having a garage, you'd be set.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:52 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,518,533 times
Quote:
If you want to keep a car in SF then don't settle for anything less than a guaranteed parking space. Trust me...you will hate life if you have to count on street parking. So the choice is obvious!

Old 10-26-2011, 12:34 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,397,340 times
Twin Peaks, without question. As I noted earlier, the walkability is not as poor as some doomsayers would have you believe, although you would need to accept walking up and downhill. I know some folks equate walkability with flat, but if someone insists on that, well, I say, head back East!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland