Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 09:11 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
I never said no one has a right to protest. Now you're just flat out lying, and you were just previously talking about how you judge people by their character. A cheeky one, you are.
Read carefully what I wrote: "it is offensive. Especially the idea that we have no we have no right to protest as we do"... referring to your opening comments early in the thread about: "People in this country are free to protest in the street - they are not free, however, to occupy the street, disrupt daily life, cause damage to infrastructure, and create unsanitary conditions."

While it is unfortunate when any infrastructure is damaged or unsanitary conditions created, we do have every right to occupy the street and disrupt daily life in lawful assembly ... and we have a moral mandate to push those boundaries if authoritarian oversight attempts to limit our rights. It is perfectly patriotic to challenge abuse of authority, and abuse of civil rights, and abuse of the freedoms guaranteed under our Constitution. It is entirely patriotic to challenge the 1% if they threaten the strength and balance of our union through usurpation of the economy.

Yeah, pretty "cheeky" of me ... pretty cheeky of me to expect the freedoms I fought -- and continue to fight -- to uphold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 11:31 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Read carefully what I wrote: "it is offensive. Especially the idea that we have no we have no right to protest as we do"... referring to your opening comments early in the thread about: "People in this country are free to protest in the street - they are not free, however, to occupy the street, disrupt daily life, cause damage to infrastructure, and create unsanitary conditions."

While it is unfortunate when any infrastructure is damaged or unsanitary conditions created, we do have every right to occupy the street and disrupt daily life in lawful assembly ... and we have a moral mandate to push those boundaries if authoritarian oversight attempts to limit our rights. It is perfectly patriotic to challenge abuse of authority, and abuse of civil rights, and abuse of the freedoms guaranteed under our Constitution. It is entirely patriotic to challenge the 1% if they threaten the strength and balance of our union through usurpation of the economy.

Yeah, pretty "cheeky" of me ... pretty cheeky of me to expect the freedoms I fought -- and continue to fight -- to uphold.
Once again, you just don't understand. You have the right to protest in the street, but it is subject to limitation and regulation.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:49 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
I think the rest of us are feeling an urge to exercise our right to have a stiff drink after all this.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:03 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
I think the rest of us are feeling an urge to exercise our right to have a stiff drink after all this.
Well, since I don't drink anymore, you have an extra for me, will you?

Old 11-02-2011, 07:18 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Once again, you just don't understand. You have the right to protest in the street, but it is subject to limitation and regulation.
Who gets to regulate Constitutional Rights?

Old 11-02-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Who gets to regulate Constitutional Rights?
Um, that would be the legislative branch, they're the ones who make laws.

I thought you were a cop, you should know about all the various ways our rights are regulated and limited by law.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:04 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well, Im in that income bracket and have a pretty good idea of why they are upset.

I wonder why it even had to go that far?

Why did they hurl paint cans and other objects at police?

I dont like those Anarchists that hide their faces behind handkerchiefs. They are the ones who incited the trouble after the BART police verdict.

On the other hand Parti, I agree that Free Speech is not the same as Free Reign, absolutely.

But what are people supposed to do when they feel not even their congressional leaders are listening to them.

And those evil companies seem to own Obama and everyone below him in both parties.

Labor money is peanuts by comparison:

And look at what's happened to those banks:

Something's not right. We have been corrupted by greed and it has to stop.

Now, at the risk of sounding hypocritical, I have nothing against people working hard and becoming rich, but Elizabeth Warren says exactly what I feel is my responsibility as a wealthy person to this country:

Elizabeth Warren on Fair Taxation - YouTube
According to your chart, business gave $1.3 TRILLION in 2010?? I find this hard to believe. But if it's on the internet, it must be true.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:50 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,843,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occupy Libs View Post
Stupid Liberals
Not gettiing any points for your side with this stuff, dude. In fact, quite the opposite.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:45 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
Um, that would be the legislative branch, they're the ones who make laws.

I thought you were a cop, you should know about all the various ways our rights are regulated and limited by law.

I would have thought you had read the 1st Amendment: "THE CONGRESS SHALL MAKE NO LAW"

Old 11-07-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I would have thought you had read the 1st Amendment: "THE CONGRESS SHALL MAKE NO LAW"
Time, Place and Manner Regulations and the First Amendment

Suffice to say, abridging does not mean the government cannot regulate and (to some degree) limit free speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland