Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 03:01 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,839,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Maybe. But I'm sure these protests will ultimately be just as effective as the gulf war protests, or the other gulf war protests...
Those did have a big impact on college students (I know - I marched in 'em, and even the normally don't-give-a-****-about-anything bunch at UCSB were moved to discuss the war because of the unrelenting noise that was being made).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2011, 03:01 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,984 times
If we can stop responding seriously to rimmer's BS for a second, has anyone seen how two-faced and flatfooted our local news coverage has been? They don't have much reporting about the protests and police violence--you can get better coverage of the Oakland protest movement from the Guardian newspaper, which is in the UK, on the other side of the planet, than you'll get from the SF Comical. And the SF Comical columnists are now bemoaning the police violence just a few days after demanding that the SF and Oakland mayors get tough on the protesters. Chip Johnson was whining about how terrible the protesters were a few days ago, now he's whining about how horrible Quan is. CW Nevius is doing the same thing for SF, here's a good comment someone left on his latest article:

Quote:
What happened?
Two days ago you were cheerleading for police action, Chuck.
Maybe you didn't like being associated with the image of a bloodied Iraq war veteran shot in the head by police with a tear gas canister, after others cheered for them to move in on the protesters because of sanitation concerns?

Too late.
It was published, and everyone knows you were pushing for police action against Americans peacefully exercising their Constitutional rights.
Your abrupt reversal with no mention of your previous statements doesn't fool anyone.

"Time for police to move in on Occupy SF protesters"
C.W. Nevius, Chronicle Columnist
Tuesday, October 25, 2011

"I'd say cool your jets and wait and see what happens. The great truth of law enforcement is that there is always time to overreact."
Friday, October 28, 2011

"the sanitation is a nightmare, there are rats, and car batteries are neither a safe nor ecological energy source."
Tuesday, October 25, 2011

"The city's claim that the Occupy SF camp was rife with urine, vomit and feces was exaggerated. It looked like a way to justify a raid"
Friday, October 28, 2011[LEFT]
Read more: Ed Lee needs to lead in dealing with Occupy SF

[/LEFT]

Old 10-28-2011, 03:02 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,276,539 times
Protesting is such a waste of time! It never accomplishes anything, plus they smell!!!

I mean protestors are really just bums without jobs so why should we listen to them!!!1

Old 10-28-2011, 03:13 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,043,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Those did have a big impact on college students (I know - I marched in 'em, and even the normally don't-give-a-****-about-anything bunch at UCSB were moved to discuss the war because of the unrelenting noise that was being made).
Yeah, when I was at UCSB they marched on 217, closed it down, and made me late for work.

Can't say they did a terribly great job of changing my opinion on the subject. Although, if a loud protest is what it's going to take for a person to spend 30 seconds talking about an issue, well... good luck!

Old 10-28-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
If we can stop responding seriously to rimmer's BS for a second, has anyone seen how two-faced and flatfooted our local news coverage has been? They don't have much reporting about the protests and police violence--you can get better coverage of the Oakland protest movement from the Guardian newspaper, which is in the UK, on the other side of the planet, than you'll get from the SF Comical. And the SF Comical columnists are now bemoaning the police violence just a few days after demanding that the SF and Oakland mayors get tough on the protesters. Chip Johnson was whining about how terrible the protesters were a few days ago, now he's whining about how horrible Quan is. CW Nevius is doing the same thing for SF, here's a good comment someone left on his latest article:

[/color][/LEFT]
Correction, you can get coverage that is more closely aligned to how you think. No surprise that The Guardian is a left leaning newspaper, eh?

Anywho, I think that O4kl4nd fellow is due back to make some impotent little comment... Oh, there he is!

Old 10-28-2011, 03:19 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Nope I can't resist still
Quote:
Why would it be simultaneous? I've been of the opinion that there was a dangerous wealth disparity in this nation for years. It didn't take a couple protesters on wall street to reveal this fact to me.
You said "Well, we've now established that exactly 1 person in the last 5 decades has been swayed by people in the street holding signs." , inferring that only 1 person (me) has been swayed by the protestors. I point out that over 130 million people came to support the OWS protests -- and since they likely didn't all arrive at their support "simultaneously", out of thin air, then it is highly likely that the coverage of the protests are contributing ... which coverage is largely being made because of the "people in the street holding signs". Now you declare that you have been "aware [of the disparity]" for years -- and yet you also declare the protests as worthless -- presumably because you view the protestors as a bunch of dirty, worthless hippies -- which myth has been repeatedly addressed and debunked in the media.
Quote:
I brought up no red herrings. I didn't bring up the Boston Tea Party, and my bringing Nixon's ratings into the conversation was narrowly delineated to the ratings bump he received for criticizing the anti-war protesters. It was you who then went off on the Nixon related tangent.
I didn't bring up the Boston Tea Party either -- another poster did ... and your response to that post was nonsense, just as all your comments ... I called you on it. And your reason for bringing up Nixon went beyond a mention of his ratings bump ... it was to point out that the 'silent majority' of America disagrees with protest -- and by inference to today, still does. I responded to point out that, if you wanted to use Nixon's "bump" as an example, you need to evaluate the total of its historical context and consequence. He was proven a fool. The nation as a majority changed their position over time in spite of his speech. And protests played a very strong role in the entire pageant. It's not a tangent ... it is an excellent historical parallel that you tried to use but which came back at you like p*ss in the wind.
Quote:
You don't expect armed insurrection? Then why did you keep bringing up the Boston Tea Party, as though what happened then had some resemblance to what's happening now?
As I said, another poster brought up the Boston Tea Party and you responded with a particularly stupid false conclusion. I am happy to point to your error of thinking. Keep it up.
Quote:
You should have quit a long time ago, but clearly agent orange and acid do horrible things to a man's mind.
Never subjected to Agent Orange, nor did I do acid. I don't smoke, drink, do any kind of drugs, don't even drink coffee or soda pop. I'm an extremely healthy person with no bad habits of any kind. I have a large family I raised partly alone when wife/kids' mother died in my arms after I nursed her through an illness. Health and good thinking and decision-making have carried me through many other challenges as well. I have held the injured and dying repeatedly. I have mentored youth, run businesses with multiple employees. I have multiple university degrees (including in health sciences). So, do tell me about my mind.

Quote:
I understand, you think protests actually change people's minds. And you're right, I'm sure there are a few idiots out there for whom they do. But for most people, they don't. Hell, look at you, first you said the anti war protests changed your views on vietnam, and then it became "one of many" things that influenced you. I suspect your views were already made up, and for people whose views are already made up, I"m sure the protest had special significance for you, but preaching to the choir is not what I'm talking about.
No. You're talking just to run your mouth, with no life experiences to back it up.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
I point out that over 130 million people came to support the OWS protests
Wow, 130 million Americans come to the protests to show their support? Man, you'd think I would have heard about that. I mean, unless you can show me that prior to the OWS protests, those 130 million Americans were all for Wall Street and the rich getting richer.

Annnnnnd, once again we run into the problem with your insistence on not understanding what I have to say. Since I never said people wouldn't support a protest, or the change a protest is trying to bring about.

Nullgeo, I know a lost cause when I see one. You can, if you like, pretend that you have won some epic internet debate, but sadly, you just never got it. Cheers.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Wow, 130 million Americans come to the protests to show their support? Man, you'd think I would have heard about that. I mean, unless you can show me that prior to the OWS protests, those 130 million Americans were all for Wall Street and the rich getting richer.

Annnnnnd, once again we run into the problem with your insistence on not understanding what I have to say. Since I never said people wouldn't support a protest, or the change a protest is trying to bring about.

Nullgeo, I know a lost cause when I see one. You can, if you like, pretend that you have won some epic internet debate, but sadly, you just never got it. Cheers.
Yeah cheers ... and I note that you have exited with a series of new wiggles ... double talk ... squirming out of your shallow attempts to be clever ... completely consistent with a person with no spine.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Yeah cheers ... and I note that you have exited with a series of new wiggles ... double talk ... squirming out of your shallow attempts to be clever ... completely consistent with a person with no spine.
Man, you sure are insecure, I bet your wife falls down the stairs alot.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Man, you sure are insecure, I bet your wife falls down the stairs alot.
Well, you got me ... haven't a clue as to what this is supposed to mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland