Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 04:46 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,132,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
- Having lived in NYC before, I think they excel in the comfort/junk/grub food department- the best pizzas, hot dogs, cupcakes, and donuts.
Yea I prefer Chicago myself, I think NY pizza sucks and Ny hotdogs are a travesty, but outside of that they do pretty well.

Quote:
- Where is the 680 corridor? Just don't know the geography of the entire bay area yet.
The 680 corridor is a suburban void in eastern contra costa and alameda county. Filled with tract homes and "semi custom" homes, big suvs, big tires, and lots of chain joints, also known for being dead asleep by 10pm, with a few exceptions like dt creek.

Quote:
- Yeah, I think more of the food in SF seems to be more healthy sort of foods rather than comfort foods, like soy burgers as you mentioned. They like to use organic and high-end ingredients, or at least give the impression that they do. That drives up prices too.
The thing is a good portion of the organic stuff is not even really organic. There is like this percent standard that they have to satisfy to claim to be 'organic' even though they are not fully organic. Most "foodies"(seriously this term sounds as cheesey and geeky as "FiDi"), despite claims to the contrary, can not tell the difference between the organic and non organic in many instances.

Quote:
- Are the hipsters really that immature/obnoxious? I did notice hipsters at those events, but I never noticed that they bragged like that.
Oh yea thats what it always comes down to with those people. Anything short of taking credit for the meal itself is pretty much as far as they will go. It's annoying to because you can tell when they are deliberately talking loud so everyone with in 2 yardsticks radius can hear their profession of hip-ness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 09:35 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,875,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
Rest of SF is a tourist industry slum...
The "tourist industry slum" is a mile long and two blocks deep, along Fisherman's Wharf.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:51 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,725,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post

A good diner in SF is It's the Tops on Market by Valencia, really good pancakes. Best pancakes I've had in the Bay Area though are at Rudy's Can't Fail Cafe which is in the middle of the desolate warehouse zone in Emeryville.
There is a new, more convenient Rudy's at the Fox Theater in downtown Oakland.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:51 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,983,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
There is no where in the city where you can get a good slice of pizza and a diet coke for 3 bucks.
Hey Norcal Dude, I found something close to what you are looking for:

A combination slice pizza from Golden Boy for just $3.75. The crust is "an inch thick and of sizable dimensions" so you won't need more than 1 slice to get full. A can of diet coke shouldn't be much more- I think you could walk away with a meal for about $5. Not the thrifty $3 you are seeking, but pretty good for SF. That pizza joint has really good reviews on yelp too. 4.5 stars and 1056 reviews. Golden Boy Pizza - North Beach/Telegraph Hill - San Francisco, CA

I heard about it from this article: Top Five Meals for Under $5 in San Francisco

Old 11-03-2011, 09:44 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,035,908 times
Golden Boy isn't that good though, it'd be ok if you were drunk and just wanted some food at 2AM but in general not that great. $6 for two cheese slices is pretty typical in CA. Like produce, Californians get hosed compared to other states, but the plus side is that our high prices have stayed pretty much the same while prices in other parts of the US have gone up and up in the last few years. About 10 years ago in Florida you could get a slice for $1.50, now it's more like $3 like in California.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:54 PM

SF will soon have its own street food pod in SOMA, like the ones found in Portland, OR:

SoMa to Get StrEAT Food Park Next Year -- Grub Street San Francisco

Old 12-02-2011, 08:14 PM

3,229 posts, read 6,261,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
SF will soon have its own street food pod in SOMA, like the ones found in Portland, OR:

SoMa to Get StrEAT Food Park Next Year -- Grub Street San Francisco
That is an unbelievably horrible location. It is basically under the 101 freeway extension! Who wants to eat under a freeway with all that noise and pollution around?!

Old 01-09-2012, 07:47 PM

Don't forget to watch Anthony Bourdain's Layover San Francisco episode- tonight!

Appealing TV: Bourdain's SF Layover, The Firm, The Fades, Are You There, Chelsea?: Culture/Entertainment: SFAppeal
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland