Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 04:25 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,983,787 times

Advertisements

SFGate.com reports:

"San Francisco's wave of new restaurants is driving the retail property market as tourism and technology firms bolster a dining revival throughout the city.

Almost 300 eating, drinking and food-related establishments have opened in the last two years, spurring a surge in demand for street-level real estate, according to Cushman & Wakefield Inc. The retail vacancy rate, already the lowest in the U.S., will drop further and rents are poised to rise as more businesses seek space, said Ryan Severino, senior economist at research firm Reis Inc.

"It seems like a new golden age," Meesha Halm, San Francisco editor for Google Inc.'s Zagat Survey dining guides, said after reviewing thousands of results from the 2012 edition."

- What do you guys think about the dining scene in SF?

- Do you think it has changed from before?

- Do you think it is really entering a "Golden Age"?

- What are your top spots to dine in SF?

- What do you think about those gourmet food trucks and events like Off the Grid?

Read the full article here (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/10/26/bloomberg_articlesLTOG2M6JTSEB.DTL - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 05:14 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,038,663 times
Are you paid to make posts like this to bump up web traffic or something? I just wonder cuz your posts are always about vague business-y stuff like SOMA condos or the restaurant real estate market...

Anyway all's I know is that it's becoming more and more yuppified. Are places opening? I guess, but a lot of really great places have shut down recently for one reason or another, like Ti Couz or my favorite old taqueria on Church Street.

Old 10-26-2011, 05:22 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,308,185 times
The golden age of non ethnic restos was the 1980s, since then it's been overblown overpriced "foodie" hype. Now, in terms of "non gourmet" ethnic places, the Golden Age is now.

Old 10-26-2011, 07:48 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,134,146 times
The term golden age would imply, in my opinion, that there would eventually be a fall from grace down the line (hence the term golden age/era)

Not really applicable to food scenes imo

Quote:
- What do you guys think about the dining scene in SF?
Middle of the road, not the best, but not the worst. Not as good as Chicago, New York, and Toronto, but better than Tulsa, Milwaukee, and Fresno. Outside of the void that is the 680 corridor, the metro food scene is fairly impressive, imo.

Quote:
Do you think it has changed from before?
It's superficially changed in the last 10 years. As working and middle class people continue to get edged out, so do the food services that cater to them. SF is seriously lacking the affordable comfort food department. There is no where in the city where you can get a good slice of pizza and a diet coke for 3 bucks.
Quote:

- Do you think it is really entering a "Golden Age"?
If you are affluent, sure. But for everyday middle classs people who don't buy prunes from wholefoods and can not afford to eat 25$ cheese burger and fries, no.

Quote:
What are your top spots to dine in SF?
Oakland, Berkeley, Palo Alto, and San Jose.

Quote:
What do you think about those gourmet food trucks and events like Off the Grid?
I like the idea of food trucks, when they first hit the scene a decade or so ago. Nothing was cooler than finishing practice and having an amazing burrito ready w/in several minutes of purchase. Not really into the gourmet grilled cheese (brea), tofu burgers, and soy ice cream.

I think it would be much cooler to have food trucks set up at various points of a city rather than centered in one spot. When they are in one spot, what usually happens is you get there is that you have to fight your way through 2000 yupsters in womans skinny jeans. You have to endure their perennial wizzing contests, in which they all battle for hipness as they brag about who "discovered" what food truck first.

That's a little much for me when I'm just trying to get a deep-fried hot dog on a stick or whatever....

Old 10-26-2011, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Are you paid to make posts like this to bump up web traffic or something? I just wonder cuz your posts are always about vague business-y stuff like SOMA condos or the restaurant real estate market...

Anyway all's I know is that it's becoming more and more yuppified. Are places opening? I guess, but a lot of really great places have shut down recently for one reason or another, like Ti Couz or my favorite old taqueria on Church Street.
Nope, not getting paid to post. A lot of my posts are about that stuff because I take an interest in it. Not all of my posts are about that kind of stuff. I recently started a thread about biking as a means of transportation- that doesn't seem business-y or SOMA condo-ish.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
The golden age of non ethnic restos was the 1980s, since then it's been overblown overpriced "foodie" hype. Now, in terms of "non gourmet" ethnic places, the Golden Age is now.
Really? I am genuinely interested to know more on your perspective that the "non gourmet" ethnic food scene is in its golden age now as opposed to before. I would think with all the yuppification as others have pointed out, it would drive out those really good, authentic food places for more high-end, yuppie establishments.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:25 PM

The term golden age would imply, in my opinion, that there would eventually be a fall from grace down the line (hence the term golden age/era)

Not really applicable to food scenes imo

- Having lived in NYC before, I think they excel in the comfort/junk/grub food department- the best pizzas, hot dogs, cupcakes, and donuts.

Middle of the road, not the best, but not the worst. Not as good as Chicago, New York, and Toronto, but better than Tulsa, Milwaukee, and Fresno. Outside of the void that is the 680 corridor, the metro food scene is fairly impressive, imo.

- Where is the 680 corridor? Just don't know the geography of the entire bay area yet.

It's superficially changed in the last 10 years. As working and middle class people continue to get edged out, so do the food services that cater to them. SF is seriously lacking the affordable comfort food department. There is no where in the city where you can get a good slice of pizza and a diet coke for 3 bucks.

- Yeah, I think more of the food in SF seems to be more healthy sort of foods rather than comfort foods, like soy burgers as you mentioned. They like to use organic and high-end ingredients, or at least give the impression that they do. That drives up prices too.

If you are affluent, sure. But for everyday middle classs people who don't buy prunes from wholefoods and can not afford to eat 25$ cheese burger and fries, no.

- I agree with you there.

Oakland, Berkeley, Palo Alto, and San Jose.

I like the idea of food trucks, when they first hit the scene a decade or so ago. Nothing was cooler than finishing practice and having an amazing burrito ready w/in several minutes of purchase. Not really into the gourmet grilled cheese (brea), tofu burgers, and soy ice cream.

I think it would be much cooler to have food trucks set up at various points of a city rather than centered in one spot. When they are in one spot, what usually happens is you get there is that you have to fight your way through 2000 yupsters in womans skinny jeans. You have to endure their perennial wizzing contests, in which they all battle for hipness as they brag about who "discovered" what food truck first.

That's a little much for me when I'm just trying to get a deep-fried hot dog on a stick or whatever....

- Are the hipsters really that immature/obnoxious? I did notice hipsters at those events, but I never noticed that they bragged like that.

I love deep fried hot dog on a stick like "Hot Dog on a Stick" mmm... but I can't eat it often as I will get fat really fast

Old 10-26-2011, 09:46 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,140,203 times
Arguably world's best food region for affluent, health-conscious workaholics

Major cos. like goog, aapl, etc have much better cafes in-house for workers than any major financial cos. in NYC or oil&gas cos. in TX, either in-house or avail in nearby areas, for cheap, healthy bkfst/lunch

And when yuppies drive back to SF from their jobs in SV, face a fairly good choice of cheap, healthy dinner spots w/valet pkg and convenient to yuppie residential areas of SF...very civilized vs NYC's ThirdWorld crap where rests lack valet pkg/pkg garages...and ironically, if one seeks unhealthy comfort food, SF has far better deep-dish pizza or burgers avail in yuppie areas of town than do NYC or Chic or Dall/Hou

Doubt any mom&pop "ethnic" restaurants or food trucks anywhere pass basic criteria of food safety....likely safer, more healthy grub exists at any Chipotle or In-N-Out

Rest of SF is a tourist industry slum...and tourists anywhere in world tend to eat whatever junk seems affordable/exotic/familiar vs their crappy food from their daily lives in Podunk...

Old 10-27-2011, 12:25 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,038,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini_cute View Post
Nope, not getting paid to post. A lot of my posts are about that stuff because I take an interest in it. Not all of my posts are about that kind of stuff. I recently started a thread about biking as a means of transportation- that doesn't seem business-y or SOMA condo-ish.
Ok, just wondering. I could see some local governmental office or chamber of commerce thing paying people to drum up interest in things like biking legislation or condos on a site like this.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:11 AM

1,651 posts, read 3,686,944 times
I don't know if you'd call it a "Golden Age", but SF dining is going through a pretty bright spot now.
There's a lot of interesting, challenging, well thought out restaurants out there right now - but of course if you're not a hard core foodier you'd never even notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland