Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 10:57 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,705,578 times

Advertisements

1.) Tolerance to different beliefs, ethnicities and cultures-
The Bay Area is the most liberal area of the country hands down. The Bay Area is also one of the most diverse areas of the country, if not the most diverse. Anything goes in the Bay Area. You have a lot of local social phenomena in the Bay Area that is very unique and eccentric. Since the Bay is so diverse and eccentric, race relations in the Bay are very, very complicated and not straight forward. In certain areas in cities like Oakland and some parts of San Francisco, it seems like race ceases to exist. Cultural overlap between people of different races is the norm in the Bay. However, the Bay is not a true racial utopia by any means. In San Francisco, there is a clear racial hierarchy in which Whites are on top followed by Asians and then Latinos with Blacks at the bottom of the food chain. Historically, Blacks are peripheral minorities in being the poorest people in SF living in the most polluted areas in some of the most sub-standard housing in the United States. This is the reason why SF has lost almost all of its Black population in the past 30 or so years. Surprisingly to outsiders, the infamous East Bay city of Oakland is actually the seat of the Black middle class and upper middle class in the Bay Area. Racial tension in the Bay Area is very complex. For example, the targeting of Asians for robberies by young Blacks in SF is not inherently racist but more opportunist. More often than not, class tensions are greater than racial tensions in the Bay Area because people of all races come from different economic backgrounds.

2.) Environmentally Conscious-
The Bay touts itself in being the most environmentally conscious area of the country. SF is probably the only city where plastic grocery bags are illegal. The effectiveness of Muni and Bart also encourages less people to drive in the Bay Area. My mother lived in SF for 40+ years, went to college and had a prestigious career, supported our whole family and never had a driver's license or drove a car because she didn't need a car living and working in SF from her elementary school years through middle age. San Francisco ranked at number 8 on this global list of "greenest" cities:

http://www.grist.org/article/cities3

3.) Dense suburban and urban communities-
SF is the second most densely populated city in America behind only NYC. The suburbs and surrounding cities, like San Jose, definitely have much more sprawl.

4.) Fashion Forward-
The Bay is not the most fashionable place. New Yorkers definitely dress a lot better. However, the fashion in the Bay is as diverse as the people while still being very Californian. The weather in the Bay really doesn't permit people to wear seasonal clothes. Everyday in SF is like a day in the Spring or Fall on the East Cost when the day may start out chilly and get warm in the middle of the day for an hour and get cold again at night. Once you've lived in the area for a while, your body acclimates to the local weather entirely. Many people in SF wear t-shirts all year round while others wear hoodies, heavy leather jackets, peacoats and parkas all year round. The weather in a city like SF is also pretty unpredictable. It wouldn't be wise to not layer up when stepping out because you could end up uncomfortably warm or very cold.

5.) Health Conscious-
The Bay Area, and California in general, is very health conscious. Organic grocery stores are the norm in the nicer parts of SF. There are many gyms and exercise facilities in SF as well. SF is a city that health nuts and outdoor enthusiasts love for some reason. A lot of SF's more well-off residents like to dress like hikers. SF also offers some of the best authentic Asian cuisine outside of Asia, which is often healthier than fast food and greasy spoons which are more widely available in more generic Americana.

America's Ten Healthiest Cities | TheSurvivorsClub.org

Last edited by goldenchild08; 10-31-2011 at 11:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 10:16 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,317,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenchild08 View Post
5.) Health Conscious-
The Bay Area, and California in general, is very health conscious. Organic grocery stores are the norm in the nicer parts of SF. There are many gyms and exercise facilities in SF as well. SF is a city that health nuts and outdoor enthusiasts love for some reason. A lot of SF's more well-off residents like to dress like hikers. SF also offers some of the best authentic Asian cuisine outside of Asia, which is often healthier than fast food and greasy spoons which are more widely available in more generic Americana.

America's Ten Healthiest Cities | TheSurvivorsClub.org
As a result, the nightlife stinks, because the clubs empty out at midnight so everyone can get their beauty sleep prior to the early Sunday bike ride or zumba session.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:45 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,043,351 times
I didn't know you liked to hang out in da club, JoeMcCarthyHillbilly.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:37 AM

30,873 posts, read 36,811,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
That's not a stereotype... That's what the Republicans proudly claim themselves to be!!! and that's the most benign description of republicans.. the reality is even worse.
A perfect example of what I was talking about

You do know that it's the loud mouths and the extremists of all political persuasions who get the most attention, don't you?

Old 11-01-2011, 12:01 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,791,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
You do know that it's the loud mouths and the extremists of all political persuasions who get the most attention, don't you?
They're also the ones, unfortunately, who are getting their cronies elected.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:05 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,317,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I didn't know you liked to hang out in da club, JoeMcCarthyHillbilly.
Give me a break, just because I don't like statism does not mean I'm a Joe McCarthy!

I can't picture McCarthy promoting legalizing weed ...

Old 11-01-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post

I can't picture McCarthy promoting legalizing weed ...
He wouldn't have been nearly so agitated if he just smoked a doobie once in a while.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:39 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,750,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
subways are empty here compared to other places. That could be due to the number of them as there are a lot.
I think it is expensive on the satiety/dollar ratio. Since it will cost me $6. I can
a. go to Safeway for a better sandwich
b. spend $8 for better ingredients in a sandwich
c. spend $8 get something better elsewhere
d. spend $6 for tacos -- even fancy ones

All options are more filling and better tasting.

Old 11-01-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think it is expensive on the satiety/dollar ratio. Since it will cost me $6. I can
a. go to Safeway for a better sandwich
b. spend $8 for better ingredients in a sandwich
c. spend $8 get something better elsewhere
d. spend $6 for tacos -- even fancy ones

All options are more filling and better tasting.
There's a $3.50 special every day. Not bad, in a pinch.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:15 PM

30,873 posts, read 36,811,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
They're also the ones, unfortunately, who are getting their cronies elected.
Yes, unfortunately true across the political spectrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland