Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 03:16 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I didn't know you liked to hang out in da club, JoeMcCarthyHillbilly.
More evidence of what I was talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 09:49 AM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,233,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
As a result, the nightlife stinks, because the clubs empty out at midnight so everyone can get their beauty sleep prior to the early Sunday bike ride or zumba session.
SFs clubs close at 2am due to state law, not 12am due to yuppies. I think you may be a little confused about SFs main club demographic (it's not yuppies).

Old 11-07-2011, 05:36 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,155,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
SFs clubs close at 2am due to state law, not 12am due to yuppies. I think you may be a little confused about SFs main club demographic (it's not yuppies).
2 am? Try like 1:30. Some clubs close later, but most at around 1:30.

SF: You're just barely getting pumped for the night and its already time to go home.

SF is a barely passable nightlife destination considering a city of its size and reputation.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:26 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rah View Post
They stop serving at 2AM but can stay open after that. But the point is, the bridge and tunnel crowd and the yoga-at-dawn crowd start to wither away prior to midnight at many clubs.

Old 11-08-2011, 10:08 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,257,554 times
I would say the Bay Area lifestyle is not definable. We have too many different regions, cities, towns, and suburbs to generalize. You can find every lifestyle you want -- big city, college town, wine country, horse ranch, suburb, boating, woodland, prairie, liberal, conservative, cutting edge, boring. There is a place for everyone. You can't really say people in San Francisco, Livermore, and Marin have much in common with each other, for example. So I would say "diverse," but in a unique way. I think all of California's different stereotypes and cultural influences all intersect and jumble together here at a crossroads.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
I would say the Bay Area lifestyle is not definable. We have too many different regions, cities, towns, and suburbs to generalize. You can find every lifestyle you want -- big city, college town, wine country, horse ranch, suburb, boating, woodland, prairie, liberal, conservative, cutting edge, boring. There is a place for everyone. You can't really say people in San Francisco, Livermore, and Marin have much in common with each other, for example. So I would say "diverse," but in a unique way. I think all of California's different stereotypes and cultural influences all intersect and jumble together here at a crossroads.
I would agree with this to a large extent.

Old 11-08-2011, 01:47 PM

675 posts, read 1,189,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyray9 View Post
run-down buildings, beggars on every corner, outrageous prices, cold beach, terrible traffic, crime, and toll roads
Sounds like you need to move. Try NYC or LA, may be more of your type of cities.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:46 PM

I agree with the above poster. Move to the city or place that you feel fits you the most. I'm probably more of a NYC guy. I like high-energy people, nightlife options etc.

If you like environmentalism, hiking, wine bars, (hipsters and hippies), and that sort of thing move to SF.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:44 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Yeah, its too diverse for one type of lifestyle to define a region of 7.5 Million people spread out over thousands of square miles.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:54 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,905,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
They stop serving at 2AM but can stay open after that. But the point is, the bridge and tunnel crowd and the yoga-at-dawn crowd start to wither away prior to midnight at many clubs.
It also doesn't help that if you don't live in the city and miss the last BART/Caltrain out of the city, you're left with expensive options (expensive cab ride home...staying a hotel...). I often want to stay out late in SF, but really don't like those options...and as such my nights sometimes end early. I guess I need more friends in the city with couches I can crash on...

I do wish Caltrain/BART would think about one late night train option (2:30? late enough for people to stay till close and still make it out of town). I hear BART tried it once and claimed it didn't work...but from what I read, it sounded like it was half assed. If it was around for long enough to people to know about it/get used to it, I'm sure it'd work in the long run. It'd certainly cut down on stupid people driving home drunk (which happens A LOT...certainly enough to make me not want to be on the road late on a Sat/Sun).

Edit: it seems my comments about BART were premature. Apparently they're looking into late night service again: http://www.masstransitmag.com/news/1...-night-service
http://sfist.com/2011/10/05/bart_may...ured_out_l.php

Still, sending out trains at 12:56 is only going to help so much...there will still be people driving home drunk because they'll want to stay until close (and as such will miss the last train out). BART really needs duplicate rail lines so they can do maintenance work while keeping trains running...probably wouldn't happen for decades, though.

Last edited by HockeyMac18; 11-09-2011 at 12:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland