Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2011, 12:50 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,750,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
It also doesn't help that if you don't live in the city and miss the last BART/Caltrain out of the city, you're left with expensive options (expensive cab ride home...staying a hotel...). I often want to stay out late in SF, but really don't like those options...and as such my nights sometimes end early. I guess I need more friends in the city with couches I can crash on...

I do wish Caltrain/BART would think about one late night train option (2:30? late enough for people to stay till close and still make it out of town). I hear BART tried it once and claimed it didn't work...but from what I read, it sounded like it was half assed. If it was around for long enough to people to know about it/get used to it, I'm sure it'd work in the long run. It'd certainly cut down on stupid people driving home drunk (which happens A LOT...certainly enough to make me not want to be on the road late on a Sat/Sun).

Edit: it seems my comments about BART were premature. Apparently they're looking into late night service again: CA: BART to Make Fresh Run at Late-Night Service - Mass Transit
BART May Have Figured Out Late-Night Friday Service: SFist

Still, sending out trains at 12:56 is only going to help so much...there will still be people driving home drunk because they'll want to stay until close (and as such will miss the last train out). BART really needs duplicate rail lines so they can do maintenance work while keeping trains running...probably wouldn't happen for decades, though.
If you live in some parts of the East Bay, you can use the Night Owl service.

Transit 511: Transit Provider Info - All Nighter Service

The 800 is convenient sort of, as long as you are on a major corridor in SF. And once I get to Downtown Oakland, the cab ride is cheap. (I probably wouldn't take the 851 because that would leave me with a .4 mile walk on a very quiet and fairly dark street.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2011, 02:02 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,386,862 times
Where I live (Silicon Valley):

-Environmentally conscious, as long as it doesn't involve actual sacrifice on the part of most residents.
-Culturally diverse, but not diverse in terms of economic status (most people here are upper-middle class, and some are truly wealthy).
-Very liberal in the social/cultural sense, but actually fairly conservative on business, fiscal, and tax issues.
-Workaholics
-People here worship at the altar of the IT industry.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:21 PM

30,873 posts, read 36,811,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
Where I live (Silicon Valley):

-Environmentally conscious, as long as it doesn't involve actual sacrifice on the part of most residents.
-Culturally diverse, but not diverse in terms of economic status (most people here are upper-middle class, and some are truly wealthy).
-Very liberal in the social/cultural sense, but actually fairly conservative on business, fiscal, and tax issues.
-Workaholics
-People here worship at the altar of the IT industry.
All true except for the part about most people being upper middle class. There is more of that in SV...but there are plenty of poor and working class people in SV. You probably just don't work with them.

Old 11-09-2011, 03:36 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,386,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
All true except for the part about most people being upper middle class. There is more of that in SV...but there are plenty of poor and working class people in SV. You probably just don't work with them.
Check the median income for places like Sunnyvale, Los Altos, Cupertino, Saratoga. That's more of my area.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:44 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,873,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
If you live in some parts of the East Bay, you can use the Night Owl service.

Transit 511: Transit Provider Info - All Nighter Service

The 800 is convenient sort of, as long as you are on a major corridor in SF. And once I get to Downtown Oakland, the cab ride is cheap. (I probably wouldn't take the 851 because that would leave me with a .4 mile walk on a very quiet and fairly dark street.)
This is true. Unfortunately, for where I live (on the peninsula), it would take over an hour to get home and it would stop over a mile from my apt (whereas the train station is 3 blocks away). It's better to have that as a last resort, I suppose...but I could actually bike from SF faster than that (this isn't a joke).

Old 11-10-2011, 12:26 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,317,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
Check the median income for places like Sunnyvale, Los Altos, Cupertino, Saratoga. That's more of my area.
Sunnyvale still contains some pocket barrios and pocket ghettos. There is Section 8 and there are apartment complexes / projects for low income folks. However, if someone is in the midst of Cherry Chase or Birdland they'll never run into any of this.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,226 times
Progressive, unorthodox. Laid back yet highly motivated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland