Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 10:05 PM

245 posts, read 605,632 times

Advertisements

I have seen a lot of these people in the Concord area and they are big--even the women--and they seem to speak some kind of Pacific Island or Hawaiian or Tongan language. They like to eat a lot and display their affection in public. I see them daily at buffets like HomeTown Buffet or Buffet City (Chinese restaurant) in Concord. A CHP police officer also said there was a group of them living in the West Bay and they smoked a ceremonial erb that made them legally drunk, but I forgot the nationality.

Does anyone know what nationality they are? I want to play tracks of their language to my mother and grandmother, who speak Taiwanese and Japanese, and see if they know about the language.

Thanks.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:15 PM

36,641 posts, read 67,264,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mileena View Post
I have seen a lot of these people in the Concord area and they are big--even the women--and they seem to speak some kind of Pacific Island or Hawaiian or Tongan language.
Tongans are the largest pacific islander group in Concord so your probably referring to Tongans, and I am Tongan as well, but I dont live in Concord.

Quote:
They like to eat a lot and display their affection in public. I see them daily at buffets like HomeTown Buffet or Buffet City (Chinese restaurant) in Concord.
Are you saying you eat at these places daily as well?

Quote:
A CHP police officer also said there was a group of them living in the West Bay and they smoked a ceremonial erb that made them legally drunk, but I forgot the nationality.

Does anyone know what nationality they are? I want to play tracks of their language to my mother and grandmother, who speak Taiwanese and Japanese, and see if they know about the language.

Thanks.

What exactly is the point of your inquiry?

Apart from being deliberately rude and insulting, I dont quite get it.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Tongans are the largest pacific islander group in Concord so your probably referring to Tongans, and I am Tongan as well, but I dont live in Concord.

Are you saying you eat at these places daily as well?

What exactly is the point of your inquiry?

Apart from being deliberately rude and insulting, I dont quite get it.

Moderator cut: Personal attack

I am not racist, but I particularly don't like them, if they are Tongan as you state, because I have been observing them for a long while and have valid reasons:

1. They haven't bothered to learn English, yet seem to want to live here. I hear them speak their language but never hear them speak one work of English. This is America, so learn to speak English. I even chastise my own mom for speaking Taiwanese in the presence of her sisters. When in Rome...do as the Romans do...except Tongans can apparently do as they please, judging from what I have seen. In the old days, immigrants learned English and even Americanized their last names. I know since my paternal great-grandparents were European immigrants and I was raised by grandparents, so I constantly heard stories about them. On the other side, my mother and sisters changed their Chinese first names to American so you would not know they were Chinese, and they all married American husbands and took their last names. They were ashamed of their homeland, so my mom purposely did not teach me Taiwanese.

2. They are big yet don't seem to care or want to lose the weight, as they seem to enjoy eating a lot. Again, when in Rome... They need to follow American values, not Tongan.

3. The don't follow American cultural norms, like sitting a husband and wife sitting across from one another in a booth. In the case that I saw, the Tongan wife was submissive and sat next to her husband so he could kiss and hug her while eating, which was repulsive. Constantly hugging and kissing here should not be public, especially while eating. They were also both so big they should have sat across from another to balance the weight.

Last edited by thepinksquid; 10-30-2011 at 11:10 AM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 10-29-2011, 10:49 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,038,660 times
I ate at a hometown buffet once. once.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:07 PM

36,641 posts, read 67,264,742 times
Quote:
I am reporting you for false accusations, since I was not rude and insulting. I only asked honest questions and backed everything I said up with my observations.
You can report me for whatever reason you like as I stated my opinion.

As you were indeed very RUDE and VERY insulting.

In fact, YOU should be reported.

Quote:
1. They haven't bothered to learn English, yet seem to want to live here.
More than 90% of Tongans learn the Queen's English in Tonga.

NEXT.

Quote:
I hear them speak their language but never hear them speak one work of English.
What kind of words would you like to hear?

I can think of some four-letter ones that we know quite well.

Quote:
I even chastise my own mom for speaking Taiwanese in the presence of her sisters.
That says a lot about your character, or lack thereof.

That's disrespectful and disgraceful.

If I ever heard any of my brothers chastising either of my parents for any reason, Id slap them into next week.

NEXT.

Quote:
2. They are big yet don't seem to care or want to lose the weight. Again, when in Rome... They need to follow American values, not Tongan.
American Values? Tongans shop at Walmart, drive horribly big SUVs, live in big @ss suburban houses, dress flashy and tacky....hell, we're more American than most Americans.

NEXT.

Quote:
The don't follow American cultural norms, like sitting a husband and wife sitting across from one another in a booth. In the case that I saw, the Tongan wife was submissive and sat next to her husband so he could kiss and hug her while eating, which was repulsive.
Tongans would never do that because our history is even more puritanical than the US'. Public displays of romance are almost non-existent.

NEXT.

Quote:
Tongans dont kiss and hug in public. That's against our cultural norms.
LOL. Cultural norms?

Like kids talking down to their mom because of the language they speak?

What sort of cultural norm is that?

Old 10-29-2011, 11:08 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,854,602 times
Quote:
I am not racist, but I particularly don't like them, if they are Tongan as you state, because I have been observing them for a long while and have valid reasons:
Ever heard of 'cognitive dissonance'? Look it up, just for fun of course

Quote:
1. They haven't bothered to learn English, yet seem to want to live here. I hear them speak their language but never hear them speak one work of English. This is America, so learn to speak English. I even chastise my own mom for speaking Taiwanese in the presence of her sisters. When in Rome...do as the Romans do...except Tongans can apparently do as they please, judging from what I have seen.
Ever try to understand your mortgage documents or insurance policies or investment products you might have? They are written with words from the English dictionary, but I bet you can't understand them without an interpreter: a.k.a. attorney. The people who speak this language are raiding your wallet everyday ... They are American citizens, for the most part. They ostensibly are speaking English. The Tongans (if that's who these people you particularly "don't like" are) aren't stealing anything from you by speaking their language. I speak American Sign Language exclusively with my Deaf wife. You can't understand that either. Should my new wife learn your English?

Quote:
2. They are big yet don't seem to care or want to lose the weight. Again, when in Rome... They need to follow American values, not Tongan.
Boy, if being overweight hasn't become an American value, we need to understand why 2/3 of us are fat.

Quote:
3. The don't follow American cultural norms, like sitting a husband and wife sitting across from one another in a booth. In the case that I saw, the Tongan wife was submissive and sat next to her husband so he could kiss and hug her while eating, which was repulsive. Constantly hugging and kissing here should not be public, especially while eating. They were also both so big they should have sat across from another to balance the weight.
Don't watch ... free country to look away ... free to be affectionate in public -- short of them actually making love in the restaurant.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:50 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,791,648 times
Samoans, maybe? (First thought when size is mentioned, along with Tongans)

Regardless, would that we could see the OP march on into the buffet and recite these grievances in the presence of these allegedly awful cretins. The counter-arguments could be most intriguing.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:23 AM

Listen, if the Tongans (or Samoans (?), as someone above mentioned) followed American values, then I wouldn't have a problem with them, like I don't have a problem with the old-school immigrants who wanted to become American and actually spoke our language. Yes, English is the language of the United States, and no, I don't have to press 1 on the phone if I want Spanish! Speak English!

As for my mom speaking Taiwanese, she said herself that Taiwan was a poor, run-down, third-world country when she left it in the 60's and she wanted to Americanize. The same for her sister, who displays "Proud to be American" doormats at her house. Yet she needs to work on her English still and stop speaking Taiwanese. I do not understand it, and it is rude to do so in my presence, as I am left out of the conversation. Plus she has Chinese values in respect to obesity and other things. She also hates black people, as do most Asians (though they won't say this in front of non-Asians). But she can't have it both ways: either Americanize or don't. So I told her she was insufficiently assimilated, and would not become a citizen if this were Switzerland who have stringent standards, so even if you speak German but have a mild foreign accent, there will be a chance you will not get citizenship (I looked for the article but couldn't find the link. see also France rejects Muslim woman over radical practice of Islam | World news | The Guardian to see how France denies you citizenship if you wear a burqa).

Moderator cut: Off topic

Last edited by thepinksquid; 10-30-2011 at 11:12 AM.. Reason: Off topic

Old 10-30-2011, 12:36 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,791,648 times
Quote:
if this were Switzerland who have stringent standards, so even if you speak German but have a mild foreign accent, there will be a chance you will not get citizenship (I looked for the article but couldn't find the link. see also France rejects Muslim woman over radical practice of Islam | World news | The Guardian to see how France denies you citizenship if you wear a burqa).
In this country, we celebrate, and many come specifically because of, a heterogeneous population and appreciation of other cultures. Such ideas, in fact, constitute much of what are commonly understood to be "American values". Some Swiss and maybe even French folks may agree.

Old 10-30-2011, 10:50 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,911,329 times
Alright everyone... you can express our opinions on here, but lets try to stay away from blatant attacking. I'm a little concerned about where this thread is heading.

If you want to discuss the overall "climate" of race relations, please do it in the Politics and Other Controversies forum.

Last edited by thepinksquid; 10-30-2011 at 11:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland