Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 08:00 AM

32 posts, read 47,608 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

First let me say I LOVE your city. Duh.

I have a few questions about the search/hiring process for IT jobs if anyone has experience with it and can answer. My boyfriend and I are shooting to move there from St. Louis sometime next spring or summer. He is in IT and I am in events/public relations. Our goal is to line him up with a job before moving (me too if we're lucky).

Here are my questions: Should he do a search on his own, go with recruiter(s) or both? If anyone has experience with a good recruiter (he's a JAVA software engineer if that helps) we would appreciate a recommendation. Will companies take him seriously applying remote? What has been other peoples' experience lining up IT jobs from afar? What are the chances he may be able to line up some sort of relocation package $$$? And finally, is there a specific time of the year that hiring really amps up that we should be aware of?

Thanks in advance for answering any of these questions. And if anyone has any additional insight on the application & hiring process for IT jobs, we would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 10:51 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,189,504 times
My company just hired a .Net programmer from Colorado. I lost count how many people I've met who landed their jobs remotely. A friend of mine landed a job here in SF... from Germany.

I've always tell people that talent, work ethic, and personality are what's going to get you hired. Not your current address.

IT is hot right now, I'd suggest he starts on his own and use a recruiter if his search fails to turn fruitful. Relocation package depends on the company but he can always bring that into the negotiation.

Also, I'd suggest looking at Silicon Valley (San Jose, Palo Alto, Mountain View, etc) where there are probably more IT jobs than in SF.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland