Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 02:29 PM

9 posts, read 18,366 times

Advertisements

Hi, I live in the city now. I take the MUNI light rail to work in Financial District (Right on Embarcedaro BART St). I am planning to move into a 1 bed, 1 bath apartment within budget and preferably with no commitment to sign a lease. If I really have to, I could at max sign a 3 months lease. Budget fore rent $1200-$1500/ month. Is that a good price and conditions for living in Berkeley/ Lafayette?

How good is the public transportation system in Lafayette? I don't own a car. So would be totally dependent on the public transportation including BART to commute to the SF city.

Thanks!

Last edited by stereo123; 11-01-2011 at 02:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 02:42 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,959,090 times
There's a BART station and the County Connection buses in Lafayette centered downtown--but I don't think they run very frequently or to very many places. Berkeley is probably far more desirable if you don't have a car... not to mention they are vastly different cities. Berkeley being more hip, urban, walkable than Lafayette.

Here's their website where you can look up routes The County Connection

Old 11-01-2011, 03:03 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,039,448 times
Berkeley and Oakland are the only parts of the Bay Area outside of SF that are really doable without a car, and that's only because it's easy to bike everywhere. The local buses (AC Transit) do not run often at all especially on weekends and you do not want to depend on them. BART is fine but it doesn't run everywhere. Get a bike and it's easy to get around.

You do not want to do Lafayette without a car, you will feel isolated. There are some apartments near the BART station though, maybe you can live there (or Walnut Creek) if you just want a crashpad, but you won't really be able to go anywhere other than what is near the BART station.

Your budget is fine for Berkeley or Oakland but landlords generally want to do a 12 month lease. You might find some people who need someone to take over an old lease for a few months. But what are you going to do for furniture? Might as well get a cheaper studio if you just want a temporary place to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland