Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,010 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My company is relocating me to SFO in next 2 months . Since i dont have much info about the city , i appreciate having information on :
1. what would be the apt place to rent a Condo or Studio for a single man considering (a) he wont have car and would commute by public transport , (b) he would earn around $70K a year . I can spend an hour daily in commute to save the home rent as its pretty high near to places near to SF.

2. Whats the tax rate in CA

Cheers !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 12:07 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,043,351 times
SFO is the airport...where would you be commuting to?

SF is the best city to live in without a car. You can get by without a car in Berkeley and Oakland but it's best to live in either with a bike if you really don't want a car. The local bus system, AC Transit, does not run very often. BART is pretty good in the East Bay but the stations are fairly far apart.

A studio in SF is about $1200 to $1500 in a decent neighborhood. Oakland would be more like $800 to $1000. Figure out what your rental budget is, you could probably do around $1200 and be comfortable. Keep in mind that riding BART to SF from the East Bay is expensive, like $140 a month or so just to ride twice a day Monday through Friday.

For income tax, check this out:

California State Controller's Office : Paycheck Calculator Download

Sales tax is about 9% in the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland