Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 03:41 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times

Advertisements

So I'm staying in the city on a business trip in a few weeks, and while I've got my old favorites that I grew up going to--burritos in the Mission, Swan Oyster Depot, Hunan Homes in Chinatown, Yank Sing for Dim Sum---I want to try some new spots and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for the following types of cuisines in the city: (And I'm staying close to the Civic Center area)

Indian- I've been to Shalimar and liked it--but are there other good(or better) Indian spots in the nearby Tenderloin area?

Vietnamese-There's that area of Larkin with a lot of Vietnamese spots, though I've never checked any of them out. Are any of them worth reccomending?

Burmese- I've always heard about Burma Superstar but have never been yet. Not sure if I'll make it out to Clement Street, but there's a Burmese Kitchen on Larkin. Anyone checked it out?

As you can tell I'm partial to eating Asian food when I head down to the Bay, but I'm open to any other suggestions for other great restaurants. I'm really more interested in less expensive ethnic food places--even other types like Middle Eastern or Russian-- rather than high end places on this trip, since I'm going solo. But anything unique yet not too pricey would be cool to hear about.

Last edited by Deezus; 11-01-2011 at 03:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 05:27 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,749,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
So I'm staying in the city on a business trip in a few weeks, and while I've got my old favorites that I grew up going to--burritos in the Mission, Swan Oyster Depot, Hunan Homes in Chinatown, Yank Sing for Dim Sum---I want to try some new spots and was wondering if anyone had suggestions for the following types of cuisines in the city: (And I'm staying close to the Civic Center area)

Indian- I've been to Shalimar and liked it--but are there other good(or better) Indian spots in the nearby Tenderloin area?

Vietnamese-There's that area of Larkin with a lot of Vietnamese spots, though I've never checked any of them out. Are any of them worth reccomending?

Burmese- I've always heard about Burma Superstar but have never been yet. Not sure if I'll make it out to Clement Street, but there's a Burmese Kitchen on Larkin. Anyone checked it out?

As you can tell I'm partial to eating Asian food when I head down to the Bay, but I'm open to any other suggestions for other great restaurants. I'm really more interested in less expensive ethnic food places--even other types like Middle Eastern or Russian-- rather than high end places on this trip, since I'm going solo. But anything unique yet not too pricey would be cool to hear about.
Strictly in the City or the whole Bay?

Old 11-01-2011, 07:19 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,395,722 times
In the 'loin it doesn't get any better than Shalimar for Indian / Pakistani.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:28 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Udupi Palace (cheap south indian), Dosa (more expensive/more 'modern' south indian). These are distinctly different than the food at Shalimar.

Come to Oakland for ethiopian. The SF choices haven't been s good as the Oakland choices: try Asmara, Colucci, the place on Piedmont Ave and/or the place on Lakeshore by Gap. All are good.

I have been to the Burma Superstar in Oakland. Very good.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:37 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,992,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post

Vietnamese - Turtle Tower, the one in Tenderloin is a local legend for their Pho Ga (chicken pho) order with chilis and lemon on the side (squeeze the lemon into the soup and sprinkle some of the chilis in and enjoy), you may have to wait a bit to get a table

If you want a place that is easy to grab a table, calm, cleaner then get check out the best kept secret Tin Vietnamese Cuisine in Soma. They have excellent fried eggrolls and use fresh and high quality ingredients. But make sure to go on a weekday as they aren't open on weekends.

Burmese - Burma Superstar on Clement Street in the Inner Richmond District is a good and widely known but a more upscale take on Burmese (order tea leaf salad, samosa soup, and they offer coconut juice straight from the coconut) - for cheaper Burmese look for the Burmese Gourmet truck- new and already popular - I heard you can get tea leaf salad for $5 - they park at 4th and Townsend 11:30 am to 2:30 pm every week day

And if you are willing to drive further out, Burma Cafe in Daly City is a great spot to get authentic Burmese cuisine in a nice, quiet, sit down restaurant - I prefer this place over Burma Superstar actually for its calmer environment, authenticity of cuisine and better prices and they also have a good tea leaf salad too and excellent service.

Last edited by mini_cute; 11-01-2011 at 07:48 PM..

Old 11-01-2011, 07:38 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,076,457 times
SF doesn't have a lot of indian places and they largely aren't that great. There's quite a few in downtown Berkeley and along University Ave.

I work in downtown SF and live in North Oakland so I'm going to list mainly just lunch places around downtown SF. I used to live in SF as of about 15 months ago but a lot of places have closed down since then.

For really very good Indian in downtown SF, I like Bindi on 2nd by Market. They have a buffet but I really like their chicken tikka masala lunch box which is like $6.

For good and cheap Vietnamese lunch food in downtown SF I like Hi-Tea.

For good Chinese, Hunan Homes and House of Nanking are the best places I've been in SF, though you have House of Hunan on your list already. New Ming on Mission is very good for simple lunch food--stuff like sesame chicken with rice for about $4.50. B&M Mei Sing on 2nd is decent too but I prefer New Ming.

For Japanese and Korean stuff there's a lot of places around Japantown. Osakaya has very good katsu curry.

In downtown SF, Muracci's on Kearny has really good katsu curry too for about $9. Miyabi is across the street and has a very very tasty and filling bulgogi lunch bowl for $8.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:49 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,992,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
SF doesn't have a lot of indian places and they largely aren't that great. There's quite a few in downtown Berkeley and along University Ave.

I work in downtown SF and live in North Oakland so I'm going to list mainly just lunch places around downtown SF. I used to live in SF as of about 15 months ago but a lot of places have closed down since then.

For really very good Indian in downtown SF, I like Bindi on 2nd by Market. They have a buffet but I really like their chicken tikka masala lunch box which is like $6.

For good and cheap Vietnamese lunch food in downtown SF I like Hi-Tea.

For good Chinese, Hunan Homes and House of Nanking are the best places I've been in SF, though you have House of Hunan on your list already. New Ming on Mission is very good for simple lunch food--stuff like sesame chicken with rice for about $4.50. B&M Mei Sing on 2nd is decent too but I prefer New Ming.

For Japanese and Korean stuff there's a lot of places around Japantown. Osakaya has very good katsu curry.

In downtown SF, Muracci's on Kearny has really good katsu curry too for about $9. Miyabi is across the street and has a very very tasty and filling bulgogi lunch bowl for $8.
ROFL, hey mayorhaggar you really love katsu curry don't you?

Old 11-01-2011, 08:15 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,517,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Strictly in the City or the whole Bay?
I was looking for spots in the City as I won't have a car for the three days, but I might be down to check a spot in Oakland or close by.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,864,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
I love Indian, but we never went out for indian growing up. I find the typical north indian food a bit heavier than what I am used to. My parents adaptions were way lighter: no cream.... etc. That's why I like the South Indian, it feels a lit lighter. But occasionally I find some good dises at random places.

There is a place that is good on around Columbus/Broadway/Kearny. It is not Naan and Curry. It it next to a wine bar I think it is on Broadway. Open late. Big portions. They even have goat (which is rare to find) it is good. Roughly $10-12 for entrees.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:11 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,403 times
Ive eaten at the BURMESE KITCHEN on Larkin street, the food & service was pretty good

it's not a fancy restaurant but the food is good and prices are reasonable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland