Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2011, 03:10 PM

9 posts, read 13,526 times

Advertisements

My father is interviewing with a few companies in the Bay right now, one is in Modesto, which ive read bad things about, and living in the valley doesn't seem nice. The second job is between Napa and Vallejo. This is the one he is most serious about and we need help looking for places to live.

Parents are both in their 40's, I'm 18, first year in college. What are areas you guys would recommend with decent house prices, and things to do. Is Napa a decent place to live? Concord And Berkeley look pretty good but I want some advice from a local. Any info on traffic/ activities/ crime is greatly appreciated

Last edited by KriskoBG; 11-08-2011 at 03:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2011, 03:42 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,190,750 times
I don't consider those areas you mentioned in the Bay Area, but not a big deal. Someone may argue otherwise. Housing is definitely much more affordable in Napa/Vallejo vs. the Bay Area.

Vallejo's city government has deep financial problem (bankruptcy) and high crime rate. Some areas are ok but overall I'll dig deeper if I were to settle there. Napa is generally a safe town but it's a bit isolated.

Berkeley/Concord, your father has to pay bridge toll to commute to work. Keep that in mind. Bekeley is a nice town. Concord is a mix bag but it has some nice area.

I'd also suggest you check out Benicia and Cordellia, but they aren't places with "things to do", more like "bedroom community."

Old 11-08-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I don't consider those areas you mentioned in the Bay Area, but not a big deal. Someone may argue otherwise. Housing is definitely much more affordable in Napa/Vallejo vs. the Bay Area.

Vallejo's city government has deep financial problem (bankruptcy) and high crime rate. Some areas are ok but overall I'll dig deeper if I were to settle there. Napa is generally a safe town but it's a bit isolated.

Berkeley/Concord, your father has to pay bridge toll to commute to work. Keep that in mind. Bekeley is a nice town. Concord is a mix bag but it has some nice area.

I'd also suggest you check out Benicia and Cordellia, but they aren't places with "things to do", more like "bedroom community."
I'm not sure what the limits are to the "bay area", sorry

Cordellia looks extremely dull, little more than Benicia. I'm guessing places like Novato and San Rafael are extremely expensive?

Old 11-08-2011, 04:16 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,044,398 times
Really depends on what your dad wants from a town and what his budget is. The area between Napa and Vallejo is a lot of farmland with bedroom communities scattered around. Areas like Fairfield can be pretty cheap but others like Napa can be expensive. Southern Marin is outrageously expensive but San Rafael and Novato are way more affordable but if you're coming from another state they will still look expensive.

Modesto is supposed to be pretty nice if you like suburban living, but it's definitely quite far from the Bay Area proper, it's about 2.5 hours from SF I think. Housing should be pretty affordable but wages probably aren't as good as a job closer to SF. Air quality in the central valley can definitely be crappy.

Old 11-08-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Really depends on what your dad wants from a town and what his budget is. The area between Napa and Vallejo is a lot of farmland with bedroom communities scattered around. Areas like Fairfield can be pretty cheap but others like Napa can be expensive. Southern Marin is outrageously expensive but San Rafael and Novato are way more affordable but if you're coming from another state they will still look expensive.

Modesto is supposed to be pretty nice if you like suburban living, but it's definitely quite far from the Bay Area proper, it's about 2.5 hours from SF I think. Housing should be pretty affordable but wages probably aren't as good as a job closer to SF. Air quality in the central valley can definitely be crappy.
Budget would be around 300k -/+

Old 11-08-2011, 05:25 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,688,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KriskoBG View Post
Budget would be around 300k -/+
DOLLARS?

For $300k you're not living anywhere remotely urban or interesting, unless it's a studio condo near the city. $300K you're either in a disaster house or way way out in the boonies.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
I
Cordellia looks extremely dull, little more than Benicia. I'm guessing places like Novato and San Rafael are extremely expensive?

Novato and San Rafael are relatively affordable by Bay Area standard but $300k still doesn't go very far there. Houses starts at around $300k, usually distressed properties but there aren't many inventory at that range unless you include townhouses and condos.

To give you an idea, there are all of six houses under $350k in both Novato and San Rafael combined - all either short sale or foreclosure. While there are almost 50 houses in Napa under $350k and over 30 houses under $350k in Benicia/Cordellia combined.

I'd also suggest El Sabrante, El Cerrito, and surrounding area if you want more than just a bedroom community and don't mind the bridge toll. Generally speaking, from Crokett to Oakland, area east of 80 is safer and more expensive than the other side of 80.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Novato and San Rafael are relatively affordable by Bay Area standard but $300k still doesn't go very far there. Houses starts at around $300k, usually distressed properties but there aren't many inventory at that range unless you include townhouses and condos.

To give you an idea, there are all of six houses under $350k in both Novato and San Rafael combined - all either short sale or foreclosure. While there are almost 50 houses in Napa under $350k and over 30 houses under $350k in Benicia/Cordellia combined.

I'd also suggest El Sabrante, El Cerrito, and surrounding area if you want more than just a bedroom community and don't mind the bridge toll. Generally speaking, from Crokett to Oakland, area east of 80 is safer and more expensive than the other side of 80.
Yeah I figured 300 would not go very far, but that's rough for now, could go up

El Sabrante doesnt look bad, found a few houses for sale there that are reasonable. Is Richmond a bad area?

Old 11-08-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Yeah I figured 300 would not go very far, but that's rough for now, could go up

El Sabrante doesnt look bad, found a few houses for sale there that are reasonable. Is Richmond a bad area?
As a general rule, stay away from Richmond (although it does have pockets of ok area) and area outside of Richmond but is within walking distance to it. Should you decide to look in El Cerrito/El Sabrante, look in neighborhoods that are further east, up the hill and away from Richmond.

East of the Freeway 80 and on the northern tip of Richmond, some parts of Richmond almosts extends into El Sabrante. I'm not an expert on that area, perhaps that part of Richmond is ok. I dunno. But El Sabrante is a nice town.

Last edited by beb0p; 11-08-2011 at 06:57 PM..

Old 11-08-2011, 10:08 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,044,398 times
El Sobrante/Pinole/Hercules have houses around $200,000 and up. San Pablo and Richmond are largely crappy but have some nice areas mainly up in the hills. Fairfield might work too. Maybe try and contact Parti Rhinocerous, he's a real estate agent here who sells in the East Bay and Fairfield areas and generally has a lot of info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland