Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:49 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
This is just hyperbole. Carefully reading your post, I read these key words: "I heard", "I felt", "I believe". None of your assertions are ever backed with data. There are no Indian/Asian hiring managers sitting there actively discriminating against qualified candidates. For starters, publish some data - like % of computer engineers from Stanford and Berkeley and compare that to the % of AA engineers in the valley. Also compare the average salaries for Stanford and Berkeley grads, let's say 5 years from college, with that of AA graduated from the same schools. Let's see some data that will back your claim - people with same experiences, same skills are being actively discriminated the valley ROUTINELY. Anecdotal evidences are not verifiable and don't count.
Google
For starters, post some of your own and when you get a chance .. go fund an in depth study on the whole bay area and try to convince these tight lipped companies to publish their data.. Then go in and be a fly on the wall and get a measure for how much opportunity is giving for promotion/mentoring/etc for some rather than others...
Then explain how the 'who you know' element is impacted when people dont speak english and hang out w/ their 'own'...

You want a report? go write it yourself ...

"One VC had a very pointed quote. "Some one told me, if I want to get funded. Hire a white guy to be the front man.""
As if that's a joke ...

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 11-11-2011 at 08:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 09:43 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,276,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode View Post
This is just hyperbole. Carefully reading your post, I read these key words: "I heard", "I felt", "I believe". None of your assertions are ever backed with data. There are no Indian/Asian hiring managers sitting there actively discriminating against qualified candidates. For starters, publish some data - like % of computer engineers from Stanford and Berkeley and compare that to the % of AA engineers in the valley. Also compare the average salaries for Stanford and Berkeley grads, let's say 5 years from college, with that of AA graduated from the same schools. Let's see some data that will back your claim - people with same experiences, same skills are being actively discriminated the valley ROUTINELY. Anecdotal evidences are not verifiable and don't count.
While anecdotal examples don't prove that this is the case everywhere, they shouldn't be ruled out altogether. These examples may be true and he is entitled to his opinion.

Old 11-12-2011, 03:33 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
I find that early stage startups want someone who could be their new best friend. Same interests, same clothes, same hobbies.

Bigger companies look for a profile: certain degree, certain school, certain employment history.

If you don't have these things, it is very hard to get a foot in the door.

I have worked for many small companies in sales and marketing. I had one boss who always wanted to hire the ex IBM sales guy (insert other big name company here) because he assumed that the successful big company salesperson could sell and take his rolodex to the new small scrappy company. One day I asked this boss. How is working for a big established company relevant to selling a burgeoning product in a new space. The big company salesperson had and established name and huge marketing budget to cash in on. His sale was really easy. Selling for a small company is very different, you should look for a different type of person. It took him 2 years to follow this advice. There was a parade of non-successful big company salespeople failing within weeks.

I later left this company because my boss did not follow my advice enough, and compensate me for my informed counsel.

People are so focused on a certain set of credentials, they can never really find the more relevant credentials for success.

Old 11-12-2011, 09:43 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,855,981 times
California can give black entrepreneurs state subsidies to open offices in Silicon Valley for PR purposes. Lack of African Americans may appear racially motivated to many people.

It also reinforces the "Asian scared of black people" theme.

Do black tech entrepreneurs face institutional bias? - CNN.com

Old 11-12-2011, 10:24 AM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I find that early stage startups want someone who could be their new best friend. Same interests, same clothes, same hobbies.
This is very interesting. I agree with you to an extent because I have definitely noticed that about start ups. The founders and developers are usually very similar not as far as their vision, but also how they dress and their interests-I think that builds loyalty to each other and their company(most of the time). However I found that on the technical side they are willing to expand out of their 'new best friend' mindset and hire say Indians or Chinese or Koreans anyone else who has the skill to accomplish the task.

I think that's where we do see a meritocracy in Silicon Valley.

Quote:
Bigger companies look for a profile: certain degree, certain school, certain employment history.

If you don't have these things, it is very hard to get a foot in the door.
So true, and very ironic considering some of the most storied companies were founded by drop outs.

Quote:
I have worked for many small companies in sales and marketing. I had one boss who always wanted to hire the ex IBM sales guy (insert other big name company here) because he assumed that the successful big company salesperson could sell and take his rolodex to the new small scrappy company. One day I asked this boss. How is working for a big established company relevant to selling a burgeoning product in a new space. The big company salesperson had and established name and huge marketing budget to cash in on. His sale was really easy. Selling for a small company is very different, you should look for a different type of person. It took him 2 years to follow this advice. There was a parade of non-successful big company salespeople failing within weeks.

I later left this company because my boss did not follow my advice enough, and compensate me for my informed counsel.
^This was the story of my professional career.

Until I got fed up with doing all the work and getting zero recognition.

Another thing, Now that I think about it, one does get the impression that in the Valley, Whites and Asians do have funding more readily available to them for start ups than all other groups even after they have had little success in the past. It may seem that way because Whites and Asians are the most prevalent groups in SV, but when they drive businesses into the ground, its almost seen as a badge of honor-as some sort of lesson learned, BUT when anyone else fails, it leaves a permanent stain on their reputation and I think people might(subconsiously) associate that with their race.

This is why I believe wealthy minorities should get together and invest in each other and up and coming start ups by our people since the powers that be seem to be reluctant.

And I would like to see that in the East Bay instead of the South Bay because we need to develop our community. If we do it down there, the credit and attention stays there, but if we do it up here, the credit and attention and positive residual affect stays up here.

My 2 cents.

Quote:
People are so focused on a certain set of credentials, they can never really find the more relevant credentials for success.
They really only hurt themselves by doing that.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:16 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,158,614 times
Silicon valley and the bay area never has, nor will it ever be any sort of promised land for black entrepreneurs. And yes, there are tons of asians and indians there who are more racist than the great grandsons of the first Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan. Saw this when I worked my first bean counting gig in Milpitas at SanDisk. A lot (not all) of those H-1b visa characters are really on one with the racial stuff.

Old 11-13-2011, 12:07 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

Another thing, Now that I think about it, one does get the impression that in the Valley, Whites and Asians do have funding more readily available to them for start ups than all other groups even after they have had little success in the past. It may seem that way because Whites and Asians are the most prevalent groups in SV, but when they drive businesses into the ground, its almost seen as a badge of honor-as some sort of lesson learned, BUT when anyone else fails, it leaves a permanent stain on their reputation and I think people might(subconsiously) associate that with their race.
This happens all the time, in a lot of places. Let's look at the plight of black quarterbacks (you know the "smartest" position in football): Donovan McNabb Wristband Report: Intelligence of Black Quarterbacks Still Debated

If some people fail at something, it is due to an external factor: bad economy, technical problem, ineffective regulations
If people of color fail, it is due to something internal: skill, intelligence, education or something that is genetic, or presumably in control of the individual.

Quote:
This is why I believe wealthy minorities should get together and invest in each other and up and coming start ups by our people since the powers that be seem to be reluctant.
I completely agree, but this is also hard. Sometimes banding together can make it seem like people are getting a free pass or handout. And other people think that building these networks makes it harder to get mainstream acceptance or recognition and it perpetuates existing stereotypes. And some people generally think "well if I did it, anyone else can. They don't need my help." We all have such varied experiences, it is hard to get on the same page.
Quote:
And I would like to see that in the East Bay instead of the South Bay because we need to develop our community. If we do it down there, the credit and attention stays there, but if we do it up here, the credit and attention and positive residual affect stays up here.
This side of he Bay could use a different economic boost.

Old 11-13-2011, 03:39 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,472,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
This happens all the time, in a lot of places. Let's look at the plight of black quarterbacks (you know the "smartest" position in football): Donovan McNabb Wristband Report: Intelligence of Black Quarterbacks Still Debated

If some people fail at something, it is due to an external factor: bad economy, technical problem, ineffective regulations
If people of color fail, it is due to something internal: skill, intelligence, education or something that is genetic, or presumably in control of the individual.
EXCELLENT point.

Sometimes it feels like we have to work 2, 3, 4. 5 times as hard just to get noticed. Maybe we dont take greater initiative in going after credit, cause we think the powers that be should take notice on their own but either they are too dense to see whose doing what, or they are deliberately NOT giving us our due reward for great work.

I dunno.

Quote:
I completely agree, but this is also hard. Sometimes banding together can make it seem like people are getting a free pass or handout. And other people think that building these networks makes it harder to get mainstream acceptance or recognition and it perpetuates existing stereotypes. And some people generally think "well if I did it, anyone else can. They don't need my help." We all have such varied experiences, it is hard to get on the same page.
All valid points.

Also, its not just funding. When VCs give money to a start up, they keep close tabs on progress in all stages of development from design to market and sometimes incorporate their own know how and connections into helping the company along.

I think this is why SV will not be surpassed in the foreseeable future-its not just the products they put out, but the funding and auxiliary infrastructure that supports new companies.

We are close enough to take advantage of that expertise as well in the 510.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:17 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,504,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Silicon valley and the bay area never has, nor will it ever be any sort of promised land for black entrepreneurs. And yes, there are tons of asians and indians there who are more racist than the great grandsons of the first Grand Wizard of the Ku Klux Klan. Saw this when I worked my first bean counting gig in Milpitas at SanDisk. A lot (not all) of those H-1b visa characters are really on one with the racial stuff.
This ^.

Old 11-13-2011, 04:20 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,276,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Why is this type of racism tolerated? If this was the case of white people acting racist, ACLU would be up in arms and this would grab media attention. Racism is wrong period and those that practice it should be marginalized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland