Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 04:38 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,493,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
This is very interesting. I agree with you to an extent because I have definitely noticed that about start ups. The founders and developers are usually very similar not as far as their vision, but also how they dress and their interests-I think that builds loyalty to each other and their company(most of the time). However I found that on the technical side they are willing to expand out of their 'new best friend' mindset and hire say Indians or Chinese or Koreans anyone else who has the skill to accomplish the task.

I think that's where we do see a meritocracy in Silicon Valley.
Because Asian people are considered on par and equal .. All of a sudden, the valley has become a Meritocracy?
LOL

The immigration inflows in the tech areas started out with these groups .... From anecdotal conversations, it's namely because they are subservient .. because they have connections back at home where all the manuf. is/outsourcing is occurring .. They are seen as equals .. and thus, merit based placement is the norm. Other groups aren't seen as 'equals' and thus meritocracy doesn't apply to them. This 'not seen' as equals of certain groups is even more perpetuated by recent immigrants from this camp... So, in some ways, meritocracy becomes even worse for certain races under what you define as a diverse group. Once certain groups reach critical mass of one ethnicity, there will almost certainly be a big race factor place on hiring.. Inclusion/diversity/etc set forth by companies are almost never practiced by these silo'd groups of immigrant workers that companies create. They keep req's within their own clique .. self promote each other and the rest is history for others.. An outsider looks at this and calls this meritocracy because someone other than a white person is 'taking over' .. Pffffft, and in many cases I've seen white candidates slighted as a result..

It's a long conversation but I most certainly don't maintain that this reflects meritocracy or inclusion/diversity in the work place. I'd be just as troubled if I ran into a group at a company that was 90% black.. This would bring strong eyes to that group if it ever occurred but if you have a group of 90%-100% indian/asian people across several layers of management.. oh, that's a meritocracy.. <- lmfao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Why is this type of racism tolerated? If this was the case of white people acting racist, ACLU would be up in arms and this would grab media attention. Racism is wrong period and those that practice it should be marginalized.
It's tolerated because such groups are insulated at companies from review and since there is this lie that you need H1B visas to fill spots, such companies get away with this foolishness..

Further, many of these tech companies don't publish their employment data related to this.. I think there was a protest outside google for this reason when the spotlight was on them for discriminatory hiring practices : race/age/etc ...

This happens a hellavuh lot in the valley.. From what I can surmise, it started out w/ a bunch of white managers during the outsourcing days.. and the import immigrants under visa days and work them shady hours for less pay.. Given how good they were as 'workhorses'.. they allowed them to populate out more of these sorts of silos'... The manager benefited.. more work for less $$$ .. got his promotion and loved it ..

The ranks swelled.. given that money/etc were kept within tight circles of these groups.. a lot of self promotion happening... they obtained 'status'.. when unable to .. they 'married' into it as I know many Asian female friends have.. With that came sympathizers of such backwards practices as 'couples' start to see themselves as one.. As one of whatever culture is most dominant...

Lots of heads looking the other way... Lots of people buying into this lie that certain races are only capable and that's why they compose the most of these companies.. If you happen to not be a part of this circle jerk.. what are you going to do? I see it all the time at my company? wtf am I going to do besides get fired for opening my mouth?

I have seen it happen numerous times when 'reqs' are opened up for hiring and all sorts of shaddy sh8t happens.. and magically some low skilled indian guy coming from tech support gets placed in a software development job he has no business being in ... because he happened to be a part of the 'networking circle'... and you know dam well w/ all the American college grads coming out of school that there was a student that has way more skills then the 'friend of a friend' who was put in a slot.

Everyone knows this practice is going on but tech companies are some of the most tight lipped companies in America when it comes to their hiring/employment data.. for obvious reasons.

Meh' man... make my money and gtfo .. that's how I feel

Old 11-13-2011, 05:27 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,847,916 times

I love this picture. Why are there so many Indians in Silicon Valley?

Why are there so few black Mormons and hockey players? Racism?

Old 11-13-2011, 07:09 PM

36,641 posts, read 67,264,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Because Asian people are considered on par and equal .. All of a sudden, the valley has become a Meritocracy?
LOL
Didnt say it was a perfect meritocracy, but the articles around this story use the word 'meritocracy' quite a bit because they think the SV advertises itself as a 'meritocracy' which I personally dont ever recall being one of the primary bragging points about the valley.

Furthermore, the Blacks who do live in Santa Clara county by and large, are doing much better financially than Blacks elsewhere.

Here is a ranking of the Top 10 1 Million+ population Metro Areas by average black household income--notice how 6 of the top 10 are in CA.

I threw in Napa because it ranks 1st in the entire country.

Quote:

Natl Rank/ Metro Area/ Average Black Household Income, 2010
1 Napa, CA $125,289
97 Washington-Arlington-Alexandria $80,626
115 San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara $78,307
198 Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario $69,937
255 San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos $64,057
280 San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont $61,895
285 New York-Northern NJ-Long Island $61,246
290 Los Angeles-Long Beach-Santa Ana $60,980
293 Boston-Cambridge-Quincy $60,233
294 Sacramento-Arden Arcade-Roseville $60,220
300 Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford $60,070

Easy Analytic Software, Inc. (EASI) is the source of all updated estimates. All other data are derived from the US Census and other official government sources.

All estimates are as of 4/1/2010 unless otherwise stated.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:19 PM

CA does relatively well as far as Average Black Income as well.

Easy Analytic Software, Inc. (EASI) is the source of all updated estimates. All other data are derived from the US Census and other official government sources.

All estimates are as of 4/1/2010 unless otherwise stated.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Didnt say it was a perfect meritocracy, but the articles around this story use the word 'meritocracy' quite a bit because they think the SV advertises itself as a 'meritocracy' which I personally dont ever recall being one of the primary bragging points about the valley.

Furthermore, the Blacks who do live in Santa Clara county by and large, are doing much better financially than Blacks elsewhere.

Here is a ranking of the Top 10 1 Million+ population Metro Areas by average black household income--notice how 6 of the top 10 are in CA.

I threw in Napa because it ranks 1st in the entire country.
Income adjusted for 'cost of living'.. the stat (as I have told you many of times when you post such blind stats) mean nothing as they have no qualitative info.. When I came to the valley, I was given $25-$30k above what I was making elsewhere.. Magically, I am in no way shape or form better off here and friends who make $40-50k less than me have already bought homes and are stable whereas I am still renting. The 'income' state means nothing in my mind because the difference between here and many other places it is being compared to have a $20-$60k a year difference in 'real cost'.

There are a small amount of blacks in the areas described and to be in the area, you are probably one of the few lucky enough to work in the industry and thus your income will be far higher. In my 5 years of being in the valley i can count the number of black people i have ran into on my fingers and toes...

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 11-13-2011 at 08:58 PM..

Old 11-13-2011, 07:37 PM

More blacks leave urban cities for suburbs and the South - San Jose Mercury News

More blacks aren't leaving the urban cities for other cities in Norcal.. they are gtfo dodge...
Net outflow .. and for good reason

Old 11-13-2011, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Income adjusted for 'cost of living'.. the stat (as I have told you many of times when you post such blind stats) mean nothing as they have no qualitative info.
Blind stats are better than blind opinions-really, and I believe Ive told you that a few times as well.

And as far as cost of living, the most cost effective metro in that entire ranking appears to be Riverside-San Bernardino-Ontario. In California.

Old 11-13-2011, 10:06 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,754,073 times
It is on tonight if you are interested on CNN.

11pm. Also on next Saturday at 5.

Old 11-13-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
More blacks leave urban cities for suburbs and the South - San Jose Mercury News

More blacks aren't leaving the urban cities for other cities in Norcal.. they are gtfo dodge...
Net outflow .. and for good reason
This is yet another example of you and others holding the Bay Area to a different standard to everywhere else.

So when Blacks in other major urban cities 'gtfo dodge' and evacuate to new suburbs , its totally acceptable, but for the Bay Area its a huge disgrace*yawns*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland