Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 05:02 PM

31,897 posts, read 34,416,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
I live in Palo Alto and work in the valley.. and frequent SF . What are you talking about bro?

Have you been reading my posts at all? It is 'less' so in California for 'certain' things .. I agree with you. ... So, lets take a look a Bayview as you used as a shining example of what Calif. offers because you've obviously fallen off the wagon :

"Demographics & Statistics: According to the 2000 U.S. Census, Bayview Hunters Point’s population is approximately 50% African American (compared to 7.6% citywide) 27.6% Pacific Islander (mostly Samoan and Tongan), 16.7% Latina/Hispanic, 5.4% White, and .3% Native American. It has one of the highest poverty rates in San Francisco, with 30% of families earning less that $10,000 per year, and a median household income of $29,640 annually, as compared to $65,000 for white San Franciscans and a $55,221 average citywide. An overwhelming 72% of the African Americans in Bayview Hunters Point have incomes below the federal poverty level.

The San Francisco Mayor’s Office of Community Development (2005) reports that Bayview Hunters Point has one of the highest percentages of children in the city: 30.0% as compared to the citywide average of 16.7%, and one of the lowest levels of educational attainment with 36.6% of its resident having no high-school diploma as compared to 18.8% citywide and only 11.6% having a Bachelors Degree as compared to 45.0% citywide.

Hunters Point has the highest rates of unemployment (19.2%, four times the average in the city), the highest infant mortality rates, and the highest rates of poverty in the City and County of San Francisco. Heart disease, breast cancer, strokes, and asthma rates in this area of the city are among the highest in the nation. According to San Francisco’s Human Services Agency’s quarterly report for 2008, BVHP residents represent the greatest number of Calworks (TANF) cases. They are among the greatest numbers of people receiving food stamps, general assistance, and Medicaid.[1] Schools serving a high concentration of children from BVHP have the greatest rate of truancy, suspensions, and dropouts in San Francisco"

The reality is almost in direct contradiction w/ what you are trying to say .. Doesn't get any worse than the above.. I mean, I know of my fair share of ghettos but cot dam ! You've picked one of the worse and are trying to use it to reflect on the shining example of 'what a city can be when people don't see race at all.' .. I mean, consider me blind then
But there are poor whites and Asians in the Bay Area, too. If you're gonna tell a story, make sure to tell the WHOLE STORY. Even in Bayview-Hunter's Point, black people live side by side with Hispanics and Asians. Many of them venture off to places like Marin County, Berkeley, Haight-Ashbury, the Mission and the Castro and make friends there as well. Integration in the Bay Area cuts across racial, gender, and socioeconomic lines, bro.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:22 PM

36,630 posts, read 67,191,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
"""By far the most common interracial marriage in America today is a white husband married to an Asian wife, making up 14 percent of all mixed unions. Interestingly, in 75 percent of Asian-white marriages, the husband is white." ..""
Yeah, so?

I wonder why you choose to be so upset about White men marrying Asian women but offer nary a peep about Black Men marrying White women which is the 2nd largest kind of interracial marriage??

1st White Men: Asian Women 529,000
2nd Black Men: White Women 390,000
And then everyone else.

Where is your cynicism and concern there?

Ahem..

Quote:
I'll start here :

Oakland :

Census 2010
TOTAL POPULATION 90,724 100.0%

RACE
White 134,925 34.5%
Black or African American 109,471 28.0%
American Indian/Alaskan 3,040 0.8%
Asian 65,811 16.8%
Hawaiian / Pacific Islander2,222 0.6%
Some other race 53,378 13.7%
Two or more races 21,877 5.6%
These stats are already outdated and dont differentiate between Whites and Hispanics, which is intellectually dishonest from the standpoint of any discussion about race in America.

FYI, next time look at the chart that says something like "Race and Latin or Hispanic Origin".

Here are the updated ACS stats for Oakland:

Oakland 2010 391,672
Non Hispanic White 104,381 26.6%
Black 102,395 26.1%
Hispanic 97,515 24.8%
Asian 66,557 16.9%
Two or More Races 14,782 3.7%
Native Hawaiian/Pac Islander 2,594 0.6%
Some other Race 1,946 0.4%
American Indian 1,502 0.3%

Quote:
Tonight, i'll more specifically zero in on the break down of interracial marriages and the 'slice' in Oakland to put your contrived statements to rest once and for all
I eagerly await the opportunity to further correct you.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Yeah, so?

I wonder why you choose to be so upset about White men marrying Asian women but offer nary a peep about Black Men marrying White women which is the 2nd largest kind of interracial marriage??

And then everyone else.

Ahem..
Well, there are way more black people in America than there are Asians. So the fact that the white-man/asian-woman combo is significantly higher does kinda go to his point.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Well, there are way more black people in America than there are Asians.
That's really irrelevant considering the percentage of White men marrying Asian women is similar to the percentage of Black men marrying White women.

About 1 in 10 Married White men are married to an Asian women and about 1 in 10 Married Black men are married to a White women.

Asian and Hispanic men have far lower ratios of marrying outside their race.

So one could make the claim that the same arguments you make about Asians being "brainwashed" into marrying White men to explain White women marrying Black men.

Or is it as I suspect. Its the men who are 'brainwashed'

Old 11-15-2011, 05:39 PM

Or, call me crazy but it could just be Love.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:42 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,491,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorhaggar View Post
Go back to exclusively spamming the California board with your whiny walls of text
http://www.hatersgoingtohate.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/haters-gonna-hate-smoking-bike-slide.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-15-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
That's really irrelevant considering the percentage of White men marrying Asian women is similar to the percentage of Black men marrying White women.
Huh?

The percentage of Asian women marrying white men is going to be MUCH higher than black men marrying white women because there are far fewer Asian women than black men. So if his point is that Asian women marry white men at a disproportionate rate, then the statistics clearly corroborate that notion.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
But there are poor whites and Asians in the Bay Area, too. If you're gonna tell a story, make sure to tell the WHOLE STORY. Even in Bayview-Hunter's Point, black people live side by side with Hispanics and Asians. Many of them venture off to places like Marin County, Berkeley, Haight-Ashbury, the Mission and the Castro and make friends there as well. Integration in the Bay Area cuts across racial, gender, and socioeconomic lines, bro.
You tell the whole story then, I don't have any love for the east or west coast.. I didn't grow up here so have no bias in trying to act like its something that its not.. you obviously seem to have yours in your remarks. You brought up bayview as a shining example .. I only gave more detail on the place since you felt it was such a great example.

Integration cuts certain planes ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
3. feigning tolerance because you have a "diverse" group of friends, but in reality that just means happy hour with your co-workers and not integrating them into your actual life: parties, weddings, funerals, events at your house
and not all .. You might be good enough to cut my grass but i could view you as not good enough to date my son/daughter .. not because of 'who' you are but because of 'what' you are.. In this manner, you are 'integrated' along a narrow plane .. and not others.. If this 'slicing' is prevalent then you have nothing more than 'feigned' tolerance/integration .. Which many people of a certain mindset/culture are good at .. It's a passive form of expression so as to avoid notice.

You act like this is magical merry land .. it is better than some other places 'in some respects' but not better than all and not better in 'other respects'.

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 11-15-2011 at 05:57 PM..

Old 11-15-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah, so?

And then everyone else.

Ahem..

I don't recall that was the topic of discussion, if you'd like me to delve into the reasons ...as I have on another group, I will be more than happy to.

Quote:
These stats are already outdated

The stats are from 2010 and are far from outdated.

Quote:
and dont differentiate between Whites and Hispanics, which is intellectually dishonest from the standpoint of any discussion about race in America.
Quote:

FYI, next time look at the chart that says something like "Race and Latin or Hispanic Origin".

Here are the updated ACS stats for Oakland:

Oakland 2010 391,672
Non Hispanic White 104,381 26.6%
Black 102,395 26.1%
Hispanic 97,515 24.8%
Asian 66,557 16.9%
Two or More Races 14,782 3.7%
Native Hawaiian/Pac Islander 2,594 0.6%
Some other Race 1,946 0.4%
American Indian 1,502 0.3%

Thanks for the clarification .. Sorry i missed that .. Not a real big difference .. just a further splicing of the white category out to hispanic/non-hispanic.. Sorry I missed this, the census page I went to didn't go into this breakdown. I wasn't aware hispanic was considered a sub group of white

Quote:
I eagerly await the opportunity to further correct you.
That's what discussions are for... I welcome any/all corrections founded on sound reason/fact.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Well, there are way more black people in America than there are Asians. So the fact that the white-man/asian-woman combo is significantly higher does kinda go to his point.
Clair often gets lost in the sauce ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland