Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2011, 06:15 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,695,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
You tell the whole story then, I don't have any love for the east or west coast.. I didn't grow up here so have no bias in trying to act like its something that its not.. you obviously seem to have yours in your remarks. You brought up bayview as a shining example .. I only gave more detail on the place since you felt it was such a great example.

Integration cuts certain planes ...

and not all .. You might be good enough to cut my grass but i could view you as not good enough to date my son/daughter .. not because of 'who' you are but because of 'what' you are.. In this manner, you are 'integrated' along a narrow plane .. and not others.. If this 'slicing' is prevalent then you have nothing more than 'feigned' tolerance/integration .. Which many people of a certain mindset/culture are good at .. It's a passive form of expression so as to avoid notice.

You act like this is magical merry land .. it is better than some other places 'in some respects' but not better than all and not better in 'other respects'.

Name a place in America that's better in terms of race relations and integration.

And although I agree with some of your points, you have more than your fair share of biases, including a bias towards the east bay because you perceive it as a "ghetto" area. Some of your comments about both SF and the East Bay read in such a way that it sounds like you're almost afraid that the ghetto will somehow "rub off" on you.

And BajanYankee (even while being sarcastic) is right, the reality of race relations in Hunters Point, The Mission, Lakeview and other impoverished neighborhoods in San Francisco is far different than the reality of race relations in East LA, Brownsville, 7th Ward, East Gary, East Point, etc. As imperfect as it is here, point to another place in America where even the ghetto is integrated and without constant racial tensions and violence a la the Crown Heights riots in New York City where Jews and Blacks were pitted against each other or the current race war in LA between blacks and hispanics.

More than that, point to said ghetto in SF or Oakland that you are familiar with as opposed to what you think they're like.

Last edited by Nineties Flava; 11-15-2011 at 06:38 PM..

Old 11-15-2011, 06:26 PM

36,641 posts, read 67,264,742 times
Hmmm...
So its not 10% of White men marrried to Asians, its only 1%.

However here is something extremely interesting:

Black Men Married to White Women: Approx. 10%
Asian Women Married to White Men: Approx. 15%

Why are some here implying that its bad or unfair for 15% of Asian women to be married to White men, but its not bad or unfair for 10% of Black men to be married to White women?

Old 11-15-2011, 07:04 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,415,891 times
Isn't this diversity thing fun

Old 11-15-2011, 08:08 PM

165 posts, read 483,215 times
This roundabout conversation isn't solving anything. Basically I see it as this, if you go to any city or area in the US that is made up of people of the opposite race, you will more than likely experience some form of direct, indirect, or assumed racism.

You can go to places in Atlanta, as a white person and feel unwanted as soon as you step foot, while you can visit other areas of Atlanta as a black person and experience the same things.

I just don't think their exists a utopia in the united states free of prejudice. America's roots had racism and it still shows it's ugly face from time to time today. At the end of the day, lets all be glad we don't live in Mississippi.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:33 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,165,897 times
Looks like a heterosexual white man is the new trophy in SF but why is it that the other races are racist against their own culture. Don't they like their culture or the men that their culture produces?

Old 11-15-2011, 10:04 PM

3,981 posts, read 8,962,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
Looks like a heterosexual white man is the new trophy in SF but why is it that the other races are racist against their own culture. Don't they like their culture or the men that their culture produces?
As a bi-racial Asian American married to a "white" guy from Europe, all of this talk is nonsense...offensive in many ways. Nothing worse than a bunch of men (or 20 something boys) in many cases here, discuss how Asian women/men think.without even being Asian...hell, I can't even speak for Asians because there are billions of us. Trophy this or trophy that. What a bunch of b.s.

In my case, I fell in love with my husband because of WHO he is, not his race by any stretch of the imagination. Going on 16yrs. I've also dated black men, Asian men, Hispanics and even a Middle Eastern man and Russian...and even a couple of closeted gay men. San Francisco was truly a fantastic place.

I'm not racist about my own culture. People like you, and several others which can certainly be figured out, are just ignorant. Who exactly do you think you're speaking for? It honestly sounds like most of you kids got either; dumped by an Asian girl at one time,or an Asian girl never payed you the time of day, or it must be "the parents" b.s. so most of you whine that it must have been about race. Or this...Asian girls are curious about black men...lol. What a load of shi*. I'm curious as an Asian woman why you think we need to be analyzed so much by men? The racism is on your end, fools.

And back to the topic--San Francisco isn't racist because it's an inanimate object filled with a hundreds of thousands of people that all think differently--even us Asian girls.

Old 11-15-2011, 11:10 PM

143 posts, read 295,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
As a bi-racial Asian American married to a "white" guy from Europe, all of this talk is nonsense...offensive in many ways. Nothing worse than a bunch of men (or 20 something boys) in many cases here, discuss how Asian women/men think.without even being Asian...hell, I can't even speak for Asians because there are billions of us. Trophy this or trophy that. What a bunch of b.s.

In my case, I fell in love with my husband because of WHO he is, not his race by any stretch of the imagination. Going on 16yrs. I've also dated black men, Asian men, Hispanics and even a Middle Eastern man and Russian...and even a couple of closeted gay men. San Francisco was truly a fantastic place.

I'm not racist about my own culture. People like you, and several others which can certainly be figured out, are just ignorant. Who exactly do you think you're speaking for? It honestly sounds like most of you kids got either; dumped by an Asian girl at one time,or an Asian girl never payed you the time of day, or it must be "the parents" b.s. so most of you whine that it must have been about race. Or this...Asian girls are curious about black men...lol. What a load of shi*. I'm curious as an Asian woman why you think we need to be analyzed so much by men? The racism is on your end, fools.

And back to the topic--San Francisco isn't racist because it's an inanimate object filled with a hundreds of thousands of people that all think differently--even us Asian girls.
Asian women get very defensive when they are confronted about their self hate/white man worship. Case in point, the post above.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:03 AM

36,641 posts, read 67,264,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexthedestroyer View Post
Asian women get very defensive when they are confronted about their self hate/white man worship. Case in point, the post above.
Oh puhleeze.

Anyone would get defensive when their entire race's motivations for something as personal as choice of spouse is generalized and questioned by people who dont even know them.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:08 AM

31,943 posts, read 34,484,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
And BajanYankee (even while being sarcastic) is right, the reality of race relations in Hunters Point, The Mission, Lakeview and other impoverished neighborhoods in San Francisco is far different than the reality of race relations in East LA, Brownsville, 7th Ward, East Gary, East Point, etc. As imperfect as it is here, point to another place in America where even the ghetto is integrated and without constant racial tensions and violence a la the Crown Heights riots in New York City where Jews and Blacks were pitted against each other or the current race war in LA between blacks and hispanics.
With few exceptions, any city with a large black population is going to have racial tensions. In case you missed American History during high school, the overwhelming majority of violence and discrimination in America has been directed towards African Americans (i.e., lynchings, slavery, Jim Crow). African Americans are also the most stigmatized of any race. There's actually a "white flight" study that shows that white people move away once a neighborhood is comprised of a certain percentage of blacks; the same is not true of Asians, however, since people have never really thought of them as violent criminals who tank property values. Los Angeles, NYC, and Chicago all have large black populations. The Bay Area does not. Portland does not. Seattle does not. Those cities love to pat themselves on the back for their race-relations, but they've never really had to grapple with the issue of racism (i.e., dealing with black people) like other cities have. If you could take all of the black people in DC, Prince George's County, and Baltimore City and put them in the Bay Area, I guarantee you the picture would not be so rosy.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:30 AM

31,943 posts, read 34,484,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
San Francisco isn't racist because it's an inanimate object filled with a hundreds of thousands of people that all think differently
Point taken. Though it's funny people never say this about Mississippi, Texas, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland