Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2011, 10:08 AM

77,920 posts, read 60,091,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Breaking my own rules here but I thought I just take a dump on this ..
African Attainment Rates: According to the U.S census, since the 1990's when the Journal of Blacks inhigher Education revealed that continental Africans have the highest educational rates in the U.S, Africans immigrants to the U.S. have continued to be the most highly educated group of people in the U.S.[9]They have also been shown to be more educated than all other immigrant groups including Asian Americans that have long been held as the model minority.[10] Their educated attainment rates surpass any native-born ethnic groups including White Americans and Asian Americans and African Americans [11] This has contributed to the large brain drain on the African contient.[12] Even though they are the most educated group, they were the hardest hit by the recession that began in 2007.[1

Amazing what happens when you don't kidnap, enslave a people, and systematically destroy their culture over 100s of years...

So, I thought i'd just point that out.

*back to not posting (i think)
1) Lots of blame to go around. The initial kidnap and enslavement started with the Africans. The bill of sale and subsequent treatment was at the hands of the recipient countries (USA being about 10%, South America and the Carribean about 90%).

2) If you took the top tier of US blacks and cherry picked they'd match up quite nicely to the cherry picked African immigrants. Go take a look around what is left behind in Africa and it's less of a rosey picture.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:52 AM

1,054 posts, read 2,150,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
1) Lots of blame to go around. The initial kidnap and enslavement started with the Africans. The bill of sale and subsequent treatment was at the hands of the recipient countries (USA being about 10%, South America and the Carribean about 90%).
They captured them, but there was no way of knowing how they'd be treated upon coming to the Americas.

Quote:
2) If you took the top tier of US blacks and cherry picked they'd match up quite nicely to the cherry picked African immigrants. Go take a look around what is left behind in Africa and it's less of a rosey picture.
No they perform significantly better than African-Americans, even at the highest levels. Or Asian and white Americans for that matter. They are in a league of their own here.

That said, your right they are cherry picked, but so are Asian immigrants. Yet still they perform better.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:38 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,754,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
That said, your right they are cherry picked, but so are Asian immigrants. Yet still they perform better.
Here is the way I see it. The only people that immigrate halfway across the world generally lack opportunity at home. So the real cream of the crop is still at home (and likely the 1%). If you were rich and established in Nigeria, Mexico, Brazil, China or the Philippines, why on earth would you leave.

African and Carribbean immigrants do exceptionally well. Unfortunately most people can't differentiate. And the African immigrants cause a lot of tension in the black community. No one is sure where to fit them in. ANd they do not want to be grouped with African-Americans.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:08 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,493,973 times
Quote:
When i referenced the history, the target wasn't blame.. The target was to correct this idea centered around Asians being the 'model immigrant' and showing that Africans are actually at the top when it comes to educational attainment .. This was largely needed because some people feel that only Asians achieve things in this country .. and it is actually inaccurate.

#1 - the initial kidnap and enslavement didn't start w/ Africans.. There wasn't slavery in Africa .. there was willful servitude ...

#2 - If a foreign army came to our shores and freed our prisoners and gave them weapons and arms .. and compensated them to fight and kindap Americans, the same would happen here.

There were many tribes and African Leaders who attempted to fight off the Europeans who came to Africa and enabled warlords to try to kidnap their people.. The local tribesmen were lied to and overpowered by European forces...

Your last comment is just not factual and you are hardly a guy keen on math or history.

Quote:
Funny as the same applies to Asian immigrants or any for that matter. The reference of the data was to dispel someone's comment that Asian immigrants achieve the highest.. It's not true even though they are 'cherry picked' in the same manner .. The fact that this is not wider spread knowledge is a testament to broad amount of misinformation that is spread around much like the ignorant foolishness you are spreading..

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 11-17-2011 at 01:23 PM..

Old 11-17-2011, 01:18 PM

31,943 posts, read 34,484,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Here is the way I see it. The only people that immigrate halfway across the world generally lack opportunity at home. So the real cream of the crop is still at home (and likely the 1%). If you were rich and established in Nigeria, Mexico, Brazil, China or the Philippines, why on earth would you leave.
Some do leave. My cousin comes from a well-to-do family in Trinidad, attended Howard, and now lives in New York. I doubt she'll ever go home. She could have a very comfortable life in Trinidad, but nothing like the completely fabulous "baller" lifestyle she has here in the States. Gucci, Louis, Prada, the Dash Store...all of that's hard to get in the West Indies. Don't underestimate the number of people who will trade in a good life in the Islands for the Kim K lifestyle in the States. Floyd Mayweather is not burning $250,000 in clubs in Port-au-Spain. Rick Ross, Kanye West, Big Sean and Jay-Z are not handing out $2,500 bottles of liquor in Lagos. You can't date guys playing for the New Jersey Nets or the New York Giants living in St. Kitts. People move here for the lifestyle.

Old 11-17-2011, 03:16 PM

1,569 posts, read 2,038,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post

African and Carribbean immigrants do exceptionally well. Unfortunately most people can't differentiate. And the African immigrants cause a lot of tension in the black community. No one is sure where to fit them in. ANd they do not want to be grouped with African-Americans.
Well, I'm not entirely sure about that... H1-B visas for example run out very quickly, meaning there are lots of educated foreigners who want to come to the U.S.

Even if you're rich, you're still in a third world country, after all.

Old 11-17-2011, 04:54 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,754,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
Well, I'm not entirely sure about that... H1-B visas for example run out very quickly, meaning there are lots of educated foreigners who want to come to the U.S.
A small percentage compared to the actual education. Have you notices that most Indians that come to the US are from the same lower castes?

Quote:
Even if you're rich, you're still in a third world country, after all.
Sure. But the whole country isn't 3rd world. The mainstream media does a great job of not showing us the urban/other pictures of 3rd World countries. You should look at some pictures of the areas outside of the poor areas in places like Mumbai, Lagos, Nairobi and Capetown.

Growing up one of my dad's friends would move back and forth from Nigeria to the Bay Area. His kids got most of their schooling in Nigeria. He loved living like a king with a car and driver and servants.

Old 11-18-2011, 05:52 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,997,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
That's really irrelevant considering the percentage of White men marrying Asian women is similar to the percentage of Black men marrying White women.

[color=red]About 1 in 10 Married White men are married to an Asian women
Every wm/aw coupling I've seen, the white male is highly unattractive. No one wants him, except the colorstruck asian woman he's with. If she's not american, then I picture a mail order bride situation, especially if he's ugly.

I'm an african american female. I like ATTRACTIVE MEN of all races. I see the looks FIRST, then whatever race he is SECOND. I will be with someone who matches ME physically.

Now with that being said, I have seen more attractive white males in California, than the entire 30 plus years growing up in NYC. I was never attracted to them in NYC. Not ever.

That all changed once I moved here though. The difference in looks is amazing.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:05 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,793,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

Now with that being said, I have seen more attractive white males in California, than the entire 30 plus years growing up in NYC. I was never attracted to them in NYC. Not ever.

Many people move here, in part, to take advantage of the general emphasis on good health (organic food, exercise, weather). Better health, better looking. Usually.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:30 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,150,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

I was under the impression that people from NYC were much better dressed and better looking than your average SF (or general bay area) resident.

I think you must be joking or your talking about socal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland