Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 02:28 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,137,234 times

Advertisements

Not the best but not the worst imo. LA is 10000 times worse than the bay in this regard.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:33 PM

1,054 posts, read 2,149,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Not the best but not the worst imo. LA is 10000 times worse than the bay in this regard.
How so?

Old 11-11-2011, 02:48 PM

36,641 posts, read 67,257,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald342 View Post
Why does your data sample only include Manhattan?

More higher (by percentage) earning blacks in SF than NY (whole city)? Yeah right.

Your being dishonest because you already know your wrong.

PS. Where did you get your data btw? Thanks.
Dishonest? HA! Its dishonest to try and compare the entire city of New York to just San Francisco.

Demographically speaking, Manhattan is the only place in NY that can be compared to SF.

Black Households Earning Under $25,000
Oakland, CA 41.9%
Manhattan 41.7%
San Francisco 41.6%
Bronx, NY 40.5%
Richmond, CA 32.7%
Brooklyn, NY 32.2%
Vallejo, CA 30.1%

Black Households Earning $100,000+
Vallejo, CA 19.4%
Richmond, CA 16.5%
San Francisco, CA 14.4%
Brooklyn, NY 14.0%
Manhattan, NY 11.2%
Oakland, CA 10.8%
Bronx, NY 8.4%

This notion that the Bay Area is 'especially' inhospitable toward Blacks compared to everyyyywhere else does not jive with data that measures wealth and income.

Median Black Family Income, 2010
Washington-Baltimore-Northern VA $64,772
San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland $54,171
New York-Newark-Bridgepot $51,526
Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside $51,332
Boston-Worcester-Manchester $47,071
Dallas-Ft Worth $45,236
Houston-Baytown-Huntsville $45,005
Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville $44,982
Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland $42,234
Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City $40,511
Detroit-Warren-Flint $35,628
Miami-Ft Lauderdale-Pompano Beach $38,375

Among the largest Metro regions, Black families in the Bay Area do better than their counterparts in every major metro except Washington DC.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
How so?
Way more segregation and racial tension between groups.

LA= Black vs Mexican, Korean Vs Black, Mexican vs Persian, Mexican vs Armenian, White vs everyone, La just sucks at being mellow and care free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald342 View Post
SF is probably more racist than New York. New York has way more blacks and they are not mostly poor (and/or living in projects).
No. Both Sf and Manhattan have blacks who live in mostly substandard povertyesque conditions. The majority of black families in these cities live on less than 50k a year. It is even more appauling because your dollar goes not go far in either of these cities.

25k a year for one family in Georgia > 25k a year in SF+ NYC

Old 11-11-2011, 03:00 PM

36,641 posts, read 67,257,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Pacific islanders.. stick w/ their own .. but if they don't white men..
Wrong. Where do you live?

In the Bay Area, when Pacific Islander women date out of their race, they overwhelmingly date Black men and then Hispanic men are a distant second.

Now Im not gonna lie, racism does not elude my people either as I have corrected people on several occasions when I hear out-of-pocket comments and I do it right away cause I have zero tolerance for that, but its not because they dont want their daughters to date Black men specifically, but they dont want their daughters to date out of their race at all.

This is common for many groups in my experience.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

In the Bay Area, when Pacific Islander women date out of their race, they overwhelmingly date Black men and then Hispanic men are a distant second.

Now Im not gonna lie, racism does not elude my people either as I have corrected people on several occasions when I hear out-of-pocket comments and I do it right away cause I have zero tolerance for that, but its not because they dont want their daughters to date Black men specifically, but they dont want their daughters to date out of their race at all.

Oh lord is this where 18montclair pretends to be an anti racist crusader even though he writes venomous posts filled with racial comments:

[/quote]

Quote:
Furthermore all this apologizing for the government is getting tacky, not to mention more than a tad Uncle-Tomish.
Quote:
Actually yes there is something worse. A person who is not Black pretending to be Black as to appear as someone who is therefore qualified to make racist statements against their own people and then be given a pass because he claims to be one of them in the first place.

But of course, that doesnt refer to you does it?
//www.city-data.com/forum/san-francisco/1232428-barry-bonds-perjury-trial-beings-sf-2.html

Calling me and uncle tom and than accusing me of lying about my race, my you are such a crusader, always correcting people for being out of pocket, LoL!

Old 11-11-2011, 03:25 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,493,702 times
Quote:

Touche'... As for your reference of pacislanders dating overwhelmingly black men .. and then Hispanic I wasn't aware of many in the bay area .. I'd love to see information backing this...

You key'd off on one point (pac islanders) and I draw strong straw to this ... I have read articles, reports, and know of a great many of them myself as friends... east bay/bay area/sf ..

Flat out lie ...

That is one particular group of many i touch'd on.. Care to comment on the others? And it is quite specific .. when you don't someone to date outside your race but (if they do) have a 'rank ordering' of the races they date .. and that 'rank' is based on racist views. You started the thread but don't seem to want to hear the reality/making excuses for it .. I don't get it..

Passive racists don't speak openly about it (mostly found among asians in the bay) .. So, you won't hear 'comments' to correct. It's reflected in social interactions and their mindset.. and, if you meet some that will be candid w/ you, they will give you the real drivers behind their non-discussed views.

As I've stated ..
> There is a rank system
> White men are seen at the top ...
This influences social interaction .... and, going deeper, SF/bay area has race issues when you fall off the central race chart...

That being said, i find it beautiful that w/ each generation and w/ more assimilation this becomes less and less.. I myself have dated mainly Asian women .. Currently dating a Filipino ... and much of the knowledge comes directly from them being candid w/ me ..

Old 11-11-2011, 03:45 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,750,520 times
I think racism in the Bay Area is different than racism in other places. Racism in other places is direct and obvious. Racism in the Bay Area is more covert. Things like:
1. Stereotyping all engineers as white and asian, and putting them at the top of the hiring hierarchy
2. volunteering/community service in poor neighborhoods and using poor as a euphemism for ethnic
3. feigning tolerance because you have a "diverse" group of friends, but in reality that just means happy hour with your co-workers and not integrating them into your actual life: parties, weddings, funerals, events at your house
4. Associating specific traits with certain ethnic groups: positive or not, and calling some groups "model minorities." You know the usual stuff: asian kids are smart and good at math. Latinos are poor, immigrant gangbangers and African-americans are poor, lazy and entitled. Asian people are bad drivers. Nigerians are ambitious scammers. Indian people are all FOBs.

In other places, racists just call people offensive names and pretend the other people don't exist.

Here people like to pretend it is a meritocracy and act shocked when someone doesn't meet their stereotype. The good news is everyone here likes green, so if you have it, your money is always welcome. Not always true in let's say the South.

I also find you are more likely to meet people that are genuinely tolerant and it is also easier to find and connect with people that aren't the stereotype.

So weighing the pros and cons, I decided it is better to be here, for me at this point.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:49 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,493,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think racism in the Bay Area is different than racism in other places. Racism in other places is direct and obvious. Racism in the Bay Area is more covert. Things like:
1. Stereotyping all engineers as white and asian, and putting them at the top of the hiring hierarchy
2. volunteering/community service in poor neighborhoods and using poor as a euphemism for ethnic
3. feigning tolerance because you have a "diverse" group of friends, but in reality that just means happy hour with your co-workers and not integrating them into your actual life: parties, weddings, funerals, events at your house
4. Associating specific traits with certain ethnic groups: positive or not, and calling some groups "model minorities." You know the usual stuff: asian kids are smart and good at math. Latinos are poor, immigrant gangbangers and African-americans are poor, lazy and entitled. Asian people are bad drivers. Nigerians are ambitious scammers. Indian people are all FOBs.

In other places, racists just call people offensive names and pretend the other people don't exist.

Here people like to pretend it is a meritocracy and act shocked when someone doesn't meet their stereotype. The good news is everyone here likes green, so if you have it, your money is always welcome. Not always true in let's say the South.

I also find you are more likely to meet people that are genuinely tolerant and it is also easier to find and connect with people that aren't the stereotype.

So weighing the pros and cons, I decided it is better to be here, for me at this point.
...And, out of curiosity, what race might you be? I prefer racists to be more outward as it gives me the chance to avoid them. I don't like passive racism as it is deceitful and doesn't give me an opportunity to avoid/not waste time w/ such people.. I don't want to become friends w/ someone only to find out they think I am less than dirt.. or to hear a racist slur (w/ emotion) come out when they are all liquored up (has happened to me several times) .... In the 'south', I actually don't know of much racism as much as people remark about it .. and the great thing is, you can avoid those who are easily because (at least they have the balls to be outward about it) .. and no.. I don't want someone taking my money who judges me as less than them because of my skin color ..

As I said, passive racism .. It impacts hiring, employment opportunities, social interactions, and quality of life .. all the while, many are... meanwhile unaware. I tend to prefer some honest in my life and relationships...

Old 11-11-2011, 04:14 PM

14,643 posts, read 14,544,011 times
Funny, it always seemed like black men had the most success with women in the Bay Area, especially the East Bay. Alot of the dating frustration usually comes from Asian men, and it does seem like half of Asian-American women go for white or other non-Asian men in the Bay Area. I've also had Asian male friends who felt Asian men themselves were to blame for much of it...
In the end, everyone is going to feel a certain degree of racism anywhere they're not in the majority. My black wife feels SF is a city for whites & Asians, but that never hindered her enjoyment of it. I've felt racism on a semi-regular basis in Oakland as a white man, but still love it. That's life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland