Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 02:32 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,493,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Funny, it always seemed like black men had the most success with women in the Bay Area, especially the East Bay. Alot of the dating frustration usually comes from Asian men, and it does seem like half of Asian-American women go for white or other non-Asian men in the Bay Area. I've also had Asian male friends who felt Asian men themselves were to blame for much of it...
In the end, everyone is going to feel a certain degree of racism anywhere they're not in the majority. My black wife feels SF is a city for whites & Asians, but that never hindered her enjoyment of it. I've felt racism on a semi-regular basis in Oakland as a white man, but still love it. That's life.
*fixed it for you...
Sure is.. and there is nothing wrong with accurately reflecting on the 'climate' of an area while still enjoying it. I enjoy my 'feigning' friends as much as they enjoy me... Enjoy a women whose looking for an 'experience' as much as she enjoys me.. I have my 'real' friends too .. and currently a 'real' g/f.

Asian guys do get the rub especially in eastbay.. Was at a party in Santana Row at my Asian male friend's house .. Inivted some asian girls from eastbay .. They keyed off on me right away... He was interested in one of them so I tried pitching him .. The girl was frank. lol, she only dated black guys .. I reflected "why the hate against asian males".. she reflected : I can fix a 'soft' guy .. I can't fix a small _____ . <- :-o .. I was shocked ! .. Took her home that night .. =P

I am just not delusional about the reality in SF/bay. Good times for all

Old 11-12-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Are you from here? Because I am. The Bay Area has always been:

• San Francisco
  • Peninsula
  • East Bay
  • South Bay
  • Marin
  • North Bay

And what does tech have to do with local designations? Tech is mainly concentrated in the South Bay, peninsula and the lower half of the East Bay (Fremont, Newark, etc.) aka "Silicon Valley". It has absolutely nothing to do with how the Bay Area is grouped or named.

If you want to get down to specifics, this thread is only about San Francisco and not the peninsula or the South Bay (which is where I assume you are).

And EPA being EPA has nothing to do with regional designation, its original name was Ravenswood.
Not from here..

In a text book x is x .. In reality, it could be that people don't use it per the textbook definition.... I take it from the way people use 'the bay' in their description of things on the 'west side' of the bay...

Yes, and it doesn't matter what the history is.. People refer to EPA .. as east palo alto. I have never heard it referred to as Ravenswood.. If this is about SF (specifically), all of my commentary still applies.

Thanks

Old 11-12-2011, 03:17 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,695,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Not from here..

In a text book x is x .. In reality, it could be that people don't use it per the textbook definition.... I take it from the way people use 'the bay' in their description of things on the 'west side' of the bay...

Yes, and it doesn't matter what the history is.. People refer to EPA .. as east palo alto. I have never heard it referred to as Ravenswood.. If this is about SF (specifically), all of my commentary still applies.

Thanks

That's not from a textbook, that's from actually living around the Bay. I'm from the South Bay and the peninsula and currently live in the East Bay... this is coming from actually living here. "The Bay" means the Bay Area, which includes the entire region. What you're referring to is that SF isn't under a designation, its simply San Francisco. In actuality, its more common for people from Bay Area suburbs to say they're from "The Bay" when they go out of town than it is for a SF native/resident to say that because SF has an identity that people recognize... the only other two cities in the area with such recognition are Oakland and San Jose. The context that people in the East Bay refer to themselves as being from the East Bay is when they're talking to other people from the Bay Area or people who are familiar with it. That's not because it denotes cultural separation, that's because its literally east of the bay itself.

Ravenswood is still used in certain contexts (i.ew. East Palo Alto's school district is "Ravenswood School District") but not as the official city name. The point was that the name "East Palo Alto" does not have to do with denoting cultural separation, its part of the peninsula and always has been.

To break it down a little more clearly:

- Peninsula (San Mateo County)
- San Francisco
- East Bay (Alameda, Contra Costa and lower half of Sonoma County)
- South Bay (Santa Clara County)
- North Bay (Napa and upper half of Sonoma County)
- Marin County

All of the above form the Bay/Bay Area.

Old 11-12-2011, 05:11 PM

Quote:
That's not from a textbook, that's from actually living around the Bay. I'm from the South Bay and the peninsula and currently live in the East Bay... this is coming from actually living here. "The Bay" means the Bay Area, which includes the entire region. What you're referring to is that SF isn't under a designation, its simply San Francisco. In actuality, its more common for people from Bay Area suburbs to say they're from "The Bay" when they go out of town than it is for a SF native/resident to say that because SF has an identity that people recognize... the only other two cities in the area with such recognition are Oakland and San Jose. The context that people in the East Bay refer to themselves as being from the East Bay is when they're talking to other people from the Bay Area or people who are familiar with it. That's not because it denotes cultural separation, that's because its literally east of the bay itself.

Ravenswood is still used in certain contexts (i.ew. East Palo Alto's school district is "Ravenswood School District") but not as the official city name. The point was that the name "East Palo Alto" does not have to do with denoting cultural separation, its part of the peninsula and always has been.

To break it down a little more clearly:

- Peninsula (San Mateo County)
- San Francisco
- East Bay (Alameda, Contra Costa and lower half of Sonoma County)
- South Bay (Santa Clara County)
- North Bay (Napa and upper half of Sonoma County)
- Marin County

All of the above form the Bay/Bay Area.
No need .. I know all of the different areas .. and I know how people refer to them in conversation.. and no, i don't run into many people who are 'from here' in my work in 'the valley'.. SF in the circles I am in .. same applies.. people refer to San francisco as SF .. refer to anything south of that as the bay .. and everything on the other side as : eastbay. If you are meeting someone in a specific city, you ofc refer to the name of the city . North bay = napa/etc (specific city name is given). The reason being is that SF establishes itself as a certain type of place.. everything south of that on the 'west side' of the bay all looks the same and is referred to as the 'bay'.. East bay is a bit 'different' and thus why it is distinguished by calling it east bay. No need for an educational lesson. I know all of the cities/counties and all that jazz .. I am just speaking about how people speak about them in conversation.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:38 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,067,960 times
Quote:
LOL, my parents have told me to date whoever makes me happy .. My family is composed of Asian/African American/Jamaica/Hispanic .. you name it.. I don't recall African Americans look down on any particular race as less than them/etc.

Like i said, there were diff. things presented at the head of this thread.. the dating scene and the social scene.. both are influenced by underlying drivers that are a big issue.

Date who you will, but they dont have to want to date you. Those big issues, in todays world, are not confined to any particular race. I know without a doubt that each race has their own prejudices against any number of others. It doesnt even have to be a superiority complex. Its not just race either, its religion, its sexuality, its gender. Im sure black women arent real excited about all you black men dating white asian women. Posted earlier, asian men, not exited to get a white or black brother in law. Is it racism or human nature? Of course the more America mixes the melting pot, those barriers fade awayyyyyyyyyy....

Old 11-12-2011, 08:16 PM

16,580 posts, read 27,296,762 times
Quote:
You live in Oakland.... ? ... .. Things are different on the 'other side' of the bay. Which is what this post is about .. SF/bay area.. not eastbay. Might as well be a different world. I've been there several times.. and would agree, it is different... However, so are the 'quality' of chicks. I don't want someone seeking out a 'black' experience .. Typically associated w/ being 'hood'. (which is what I find among several girls I have met from over there. <- no offense.. just keeping it real.
Your post is half right but not quite so real. Yes black men have it pretty good here in the East Bay. However to imply that it's because the women are simply just seeking a "black experience" as you put it and the implication "hood" is not the whole story. Your experience with the East Bay seems rather limited based on some of your posts here. Not trying to be disrespectful but you don't seem all too informed about the real and whole East Bay.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:17 PM

117 posts, read 175,065 times
the world is racist

::

Old 11-12-2011, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayDude View Post
LOL that's been my experience too.

I think the key to being successful in SF is not insinuating in any way your a "stereotypical" "gangsta" or negative "black" archetype. I don't wear my race or personal identity on my sleeve, I interact with people like anyone else. I find commonalities and am honest with (myself) and others.

I think this whole "racial" identity thing is a retarded concept.
I think I agree with this. I hate when I am stereotyped because of what someone may think a black man "should" be. On the other hand this behavior is why some may wear their race on their sleeve.

Old 11-12-2011, 08:23 PM

Quote:
The east bay is not the 'bay area'.. the 'west' bay is not called .. west bay... it's called 'the bay'...

East bay is ... East bay.
Just as Palo alto is just palo alto ...
East Palo Alto is ..."""""EASSST""" Palo alto.

There is a separation and a distinct one.
I work in tech... Let me know where the major concentration of tech is?
Is it in 'East' Bay or .. 'the bay'.?

The subject was about SF/'The bay'.
It's called the peninsula. You're not a native are you?

Old 11-12-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Are you from here? Because I am. The Bay Area has always been:

• San Francisco
  • Peninsula
  • East Bay
  • South Bay
  • Marin
  • North Bay

And what does tech have to do with local designations? Tech is mainly concentrated in the South Bay, peninsula and the lower half of the East Bay (Fremont, Newark, etc.) aka "Silicon Valley". It has absolutely nothing to do with how the Bay Area is grouped or named.

If you want to get down to specifics, this thread is only about San Francisco and not the peninsula or the South Bay (which is where I assume you are).

And EPA being EPA has nothing to do with regional designation, its original name was Ravenswood.
Beat me to it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland