Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 04:59 PM

96 posts, read 299,790 times

Advertisements

Downtown San Jose is very up and coming, which means it has some amenities as well as a number of issues. The short version - not a lot of pedestrian activity during the day, lots and lots of partying between 11 PM and 2 AM, 7 days per week. Fairly high crime, and the population of homeless and mentally ill people tends to stand out because there are so few other pedestrians. Downtown San Jose does have a nice library, movie theaters, some performing arts theaters, really nice museums and occasional fun events. The best advice I can give you is that if you live in the core of downtown, live facing the courtyard or you'll hear screaming, fighting and brawling all night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 12:24 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,044,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaxter View Post
Also, why is the rent in San Jose so much cheaper than other areas. I'm seeing 2 bedrooms for about $2k vs. $2,500-3K. Crime? Further distance from SF? Makes me a little suspicious....

Thanks!
San Jose is one of the safest cities of its size in the U.S, and much safer than S.F or Oakland.

That being said, just like any city, there are some bad areas. However, 2,000 for a 2 bedroom should be in a perfectly safe part of the city. The rule of thumb is to live in west or south San Jose.

Two areas of San Jose I've always liked are Willow Glen, and the area around the Rose Garden. Most single unit homes, though...

Old 11-21-2011, 06:40 PM

291 posts, read 958,040 times
If you are planning on having a family I suggest sticking with Mountain View. The downtown San Jose area is zoned for not so good schools so you know. I would look into Palo Alto and Los Gatos as well. They all have cute downtowns and good schools. If you are thinking private school San Jose would be a good option. Go to GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community for more info.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:33 AM

5,717 posts, read 16,349,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Typically, the closer you get toward SF, the more expensive rent gets. It's also possible that some of the apartment ads you've seen for SJ places could be in bad areas. If you post some of the zip codes/addresses where the SJ apartments are located that you've seen, I can tell you if those are bad areas or not.
No, rents in SJ are higher than you'll see further up the peninsula, out of SF proper. It has more to do with "bad" areas, as you said. There are simply more of those in SJ compared to the rest of the valley.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:50 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,039,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
No, rents in SJ are higher than you'll see further up the peninsula, out of SF proper. It has more to do with "bad" areas, as you said. There are simply more of those in SJ compared to the rest of the valley.
Maybe that's true with apartments, but I didn't see that to be the case at all when I was looking for a rental house back in 2009. Anything north of Sunnyvale was on average $100-200 more per month for a house equivalent or smaller/dumpier than the house I ended up renting in Newark.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:00 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,077,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
You live in San Jose and I don't, but from what I've seen prices San Mateo County are almost the same as in SF, maybe 5% less especially if you're along the 101/280 corridor. (somewhere like Pacifica or Daly City is cheaper maybe because of the fog) San Jose has expensive parts but doesn't it have pretty cheap rentals in decent areas as you go east? And even Los Gatos has pretty doable rents, though buying a house there would be very tough. Fremont has cheaper rentals too, houses are pretty pricey though from what people here have said.

Old 02-04-2013, 07:55 AM

10 posts, read 15,914 times
Have you considered staying in Cupertino itself. I lived there and it's a great place to raise kids and has the best schools in the country!

Old 02-04-2013, 08:08 AM

2,518 posts, read 4,010,612 times
Cupertino is nice, but unless your husband is going to work for Apple as a high paid executive, you will probably be renting for a long time. $450,000 would barely buy a 1 bedroom condo, even if it exist. There are maybe 10-20 homes for sale in Cupertino right now.

Cupertino looked at the 2006 bubble and barely blinked.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:54 AM

31 posts, read 28,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocGoldstein View Post
Cupertino is nice, but unless your husband is going to work for Apple as a high paid executive, you will probably be renting for a long time. $450,000 would barely buy a 1 bedroom condo, even if it exist. There are maybe 10-20 homes for sale in Cupertino right now.

Cupertino looked at the 2006 bubble and barely blinked.
TY for the info, but can u define "high paid executive" - whats the min $ ?

Old 10-18-2018, 07:33 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrr View Post
TY for the info, but can u define "high paid executive" - whats the min $ ?
Depends on the specific company/industry, but a "high paid executive" around here probably makes $250K+? Just off the top of my head, based on what the high-level execs I know are currently earning.

The OP is pretty old now (from 2011), so housing is even more expensive now... their goal of $450K to purchase a home wouldn't even get you a crappy condo in the East Bay! And in Cupertino? Try $1M at minimum for anything livable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland