Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 01:11 PM

21 posts, read 178,662 times

Advertisements

My husband and I (and our 2 small dogs) are moving to the area. He will be working at Apple in Cupertino. I am currently unemployed, but remain optimistic that I may find a job again soon.

He wants to live in San Francisco and take the Apple shuttle to work each day. He already has some friends that live in Pacific Heights. I am not opposed to this, but do think him sitting on a bus for over 2 hours a day should be "worth it." It's going to be a huge sacrafice of time and money to be in the city.

Can you suggest any neighborhoods? I've read some nice things about Inner Sunset (seems to fit our needs). How about other cities/towns? What is Berkeley like? Downtown San Jose? I've only been to the Bay Area one time. During this time I was in San Francisco and Pleasanton (very cute, but there is no way my husband will want to live there!).

We are looking for the following:
-2 bedroom apartment for appoximately $3000/month or purchase for under $450k
-near Apple shuttle stop
-safe neighborhood
-animal friendly
-parking space
-dishwasher
-washer/dryer in unit
-storage-walk in closet or multiple closets
-prefer somewhat newer or remodeled units
-walkable neighborhood with grocery store, bank, gym, the basics...
-less fog (would be nice, but not necessary)
-family friendly

Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 01:19 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,030,161 times
a) Berkeley is way too far to commute to Silicon Valley.
b) your budget is good for a 2br in SF but you won't find many apartments with dishwashers and washer/driers in the unit in SF. You might at that budget though, also apartments in the suburbs will be more likely to have them.
c) parking spaces are very rarely included in rent for an apartment in SF, generally you either park on the street (which is a pain in the ass depending on your neighborhood) or pay around $200 or so for an off-street space that you rent from someone in your neighborhood who has a garage of some sort.

So your budget is good but it might still be hard to find a place that is new/remodeled (most apartment buildings in SF are really old) with parking that allows pets. See what you can find in SF but you might be better off looking in San Mateo County or around San Jose, the commute to the Apple zombie labs would be way easier (though you might have to drive, I have no idea where the shuttles stop). It will be more suburban and you'll have to drive way more but the apartments will be what you want.

If you want to do SF, then look into where the shuttles stop. The Western Mission (around Dolores Park) and Noe Valley would be good. Lower Pacific Heights is cool. The Inner Sunset is a nice neighborhood but gets really foggy so you probably wouldn't like it.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:47 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,172,778 times
If your husband is into urban city living, my guess is that he will not like Inner Sunset, it is nice but it feels a little suburby compares to other neighborhoods and it is tucked away from the hub of SF. It's also more of a family with kids type of neighborhood and it's not close to the Apple bus (as far as I know, I could be wrong).

I could be wrong but I think the Apple bus travels to the western part of the Mission District and the Marina District, so I'd suggest you look in those area.

I think you guys will like Mission Dolores, western part of the Mission (west of Valencia St), Noe Valley, Castro, the Marina District, Cow Hollow, Pacific Heights, and Russian Hills. Also Hayes Valley, Duboce Triangle, and Ashbury Heights are nice if your husband doesn't mind the extra walk to the Apple bus. I'm trying to recommend places that are close to the Apple bus route.

Mission Dolores, West Mission, Marina and Hayes Valley tends to be more singles oriented. Noe Valley, Duboce, and Ashbury are a bit more cater to family. Castro is also very family friendly and it is a LGBT mecca.

As for the amenities, it all depends on the building. $3,000 for a 2 bed with dishwasher and parking is doable if you're not too picky (ie doesnt mind older Victorian unit and doesn't demand a view) but in-unit washer/dryer is rare and usually found in more modern (ie more expensive unit).

All of the above neighborhoods are very popular so if you find something you like jump on it quickly. Rental tends to be less competitive this time of the year but you should still brace yourself for some competition - make sure to have all the documentation with you to the open house, dress properly, and put in plenty of face time with the landlord/manager.

And no, you're not going to find a 2 bedroom in said nabes for $450k or under unless you don't mind a fixer-upper or TIC. I dont' recommend TIC.

Last edited by beb0p; 11-11-2011 at 02:09 PM..

Old 11-11-2011, 03:07 PM

Thanks so much for the information. I've already been looking into all of the areas you've mentioned.

So many landlords are not pet friendly. It's a shame...

Question: How bad is the fog in Inner Sunset? Do weeks go by with no sunshine? I lived in London for a while, so I know that the weather is important to me. That being said, at least fog isn't constant rain!

Old 11-11-2011, 04:07 PM

3,229 posts, read 6,255,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaxter View Post
I am not opposed to this, but do think him sitting on a bus for over 2 hours a day should be "worth it." It's going to be a huge sacrafice of time and money to be in the city.
You probably won't see him much on weekdays if you live in the city.

Quote:
We are looking for the following:
-2 bedroom apartment for appoximately $3000/month or purchase for under $450k
-near Apple shuttle stop
-safe neighborhood
-animal friendly
The two dogs eliminate most available places in the city. For example:

SF apts. $3000 and under

SF apts. $3000 and under that allow dogs

SF apts. $3000,allow dogs,undesirable or too far neighborhoods filtered out

Quote:
How about other cities/towns?
I recommend looking in Mountain View,San Mateo or Millbrae.

Mountain View is close to Cupertino and will be the quickest commute to Apple. Mountain View has a very nice downtown and is convenient to many stores and restaurants. San Mateo has probably the best downtown on the peninsula and will be closer for trips to SF. Millbrae is quiet and boring however it has a Bart station with trains going to SF. Also it is possible to live a semi-walkable lifestyle if you find an apartment close to their downtown and Safeway/Traders Joes location.

Example of a walkable Millbrae neighborhood.

Walk Score of Poplar Avenue millbrae ca

Quote:
Question: How bad is the fog in Inner Sunset? Do weeks go by with no sunshine?
The fog is the worst in the summer months. A typical summer day will be partly sunny midday and fog will roll in sometime in late afternoon.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:33 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,172,778 times
Quote:

Question: How bad is the fog in Inner Sunset? Do weeks go by with no sunshine? I lived in London for a while, so I know that the weather is important to me. That being said, at least fog isn't constant rain!

I think SFgate.com has it right on the money.

Quote:

Many San Franciscans name the Inner Sunset as their favorite neighborhood, despite the fact that it suffers some of the worst weather in the entire Bay Area. Located between Golden Gate Park to the north and Vicente Street to the south, from Stanyan Boulevard to the east and 19th Avenue to the west, the Inner Sunset is just three miles from the Pacific Ocean and smack in the middle of the fog zone. Year-round, most mornings and evenings are foggy, and some days the sun doesn't come out at all.

Inner Sunset — San Francisco Neighborhoods — Travel — SFGate
Though I will add that you do get consistent sun during summer - on most summer days, there is a four to five hour window in the afternoon when the sun do come out. Mornings and evenings are pretty much foggy all year round.

Old 11-11-2011, 06:32 PM

Also keep in mind that tech jobs, especially at the big firms like Apple, often require long hours, so working a 12 hour shift then spending 90 minutes just to get home on a bus (and doing it again the next day) would suck after a while. I'd consider living closer to the Apple Zombie HQ, if having two dogs, a place with a dishwasher and w/d and easy parking AND a sensible commute are more important to you than urban living. Sounds like you would have to compromise a lot for the urban living. A lot of the towns up and down San Mateo County and Santa Clara County have small walkable downtowns, if you lived near one you could still walk to cafes and restaurants, though you'd still have to drive to do most shopping.

Old 11-12-2011, 06:37 AM

It seems like Mountain View and San Mateo are great options for a compromise. Any type of walkable town is still better than where we are living now.

You mention Santa Clara County...any suggestions for towns?

Fortunately, my husband is a "business man" not a tech person. He already knows that his work day will be nothing like the typical IT type position. But, I'm sure there will still be some long days. This is why I think SF is too far to commute!

Old 11-12-2011, 09:36 AM

4,307 posts, read 6,228,700 times
Quote:
It seems like Mountain View and San Mateo are great options for a compromise. Any type of walkable town is still better than where we are living now.

You mention Santa Clara County...any suggestions for towns?

Fortunately, my husband is a "business man" not a tech person. He already knows that his work day will be nothing like the typical IT type position. But, I'm sure there will still be some long days. This is why I think SF is too far to commute!
Well, Mountain View is in Santa Clara county. I like living here and agree with the assessment of the town.

If you want a really cool town that feels less techy in Santa Clara county, I'd recommend Los Gatos, if you can afford it.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:04 PM

Mountain View has a decent little downtown, I think it's on Castro Street. Lots of Chinese restaurants and Chinese groceries but there's other stuff too. Palo Alto is busier but is expensive and dominated by students but it could work for you. Check out Saratoga and Los Gatos, they're both ritzy towns up in the hills but I know Los Gatos sometimes has decently-priced apartments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland