Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 11:09 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,939,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
If you don't see the difference between an innocuous question like "So, where do you work?" and an intrusive one like "Do you prefer being on top or on the bottom?" then you need to develop more robust social skills.
I see the difference but if one thing is important to women and they have a right to ask why is it wrong for a man to ask something that is important to him? So if the man isn't making this or living this type of lifestyle it's Ok for the woman to brush him off because she's thinking long term financial security.

Well the man may be thinking long term loving and good meals. Why is that wrong? Some men may not want a loveless marriage along with fast food and reservations all the time.

The way I see it if a woman ask financial questions when initial dating it's also a sign if things get tough she's gone.. "No finance equals no romance". I don't think it was a man who came up with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2011, 12:02 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,042,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
I see the difference but if one thing is important to women and they have a right to ask why is it wrong for a man to ask something that is important to him? So if the man isn't making this or living this type of lifestyle it's Ok for the woman to brush him off because she's thinking long term financial security.

Well the man may be thinking long term loving and good meals. Why is that wrong? Some men may not want a loveless marriage along with fast food and reservations all the time.

The way I see it if a woman ask financial questions when initial dating it's also a sign if things get tough she's gone.. "No finance equals no romance". I don't think it was a man who came up with that.

Take a breath and step back here a bit ... your original premise is that of strangers meeting for the first time. If that is the case, a question like "Where do you work? What do you do?" is not necessarily a question about finances (even though that may be the aim of the person asking the question). Do you think "Where do you live?" is a question about finances as well?

I'm sure there are lots of things you'd want to know about the other person (like sexual habits and culinary skills and other marriage qualifications) but these tend to be information ferreted out in later dates should you get to that point.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:19 PM

Of course I wouldn't ask a woman questions like that right off mainly because I don't drink and bar hop anymore. Back in those days I probably would have. LOL.. I just don't see why financial questions should be at the forefront. That's just a turnoff for me. As for the question of where do you live? In my thinking yes it can be a probing financial question.

I have a friend who is about 6 foot 3 and about 285-310 pounds. We were at a function and none of the women were paying any attention to him. Well I went to the bar to get us a couple of drinks. At the bar were a group of women. I openly said to the bartender I get tired of my NFL friends who always call me to hang out.. Well of course the women were all over him for the rest of the night. Word got around fast. Let me say of course he hadn't played football since high school. LMAO...

After that we used that game plan many times and it made me understand the gold digger factor. So I guess that's one instance of where my issue of asking financial question to quickly comes from.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:47 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,042,530 times
To each his own. If asking where a person lives and what they do for a living is thought to be too probing, I'm not sure what questions would be ok apart from what their name is.
"Hey, how 'bout them Cowboys?"

Old 11-16-2011, 06:48 PM

Raiders
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland