Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 05:42 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,511,716 times

Advertisements

Being a former SF resident I know that it is not as left wing as it is reputed to be, and SF, while not exactly going conservative, has gotten less liberal and leftist (and certainly to the right of the East Bay).

Is the left dead in SF?

SF Election Signals Shift to the Right - The Bay Citizen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 06:07 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,793,105 times
Mo' money, mo' problems. Mo' righty.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:48 PM

16,580 posts, read 27,296,762 times
What should be known is that SF first of all is not the most liberal city in America like the article said. Detroit is. Berkeley and Oakland also rank higher on that list and pretty much always have. Also a republican in SF would still be considered quite liberal compared to the rest of the GOP. Also, the city has become well populated with transplants from God knows where whom will almost always be more conservative relatively speaking.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
What should be known is that SF first of all is not the most liberal city in America like the article said. Detroit is. Berkeley and Oakland also rank higher on that list and pretty much always have. Also a republican in SF would still be considered quite liberal compared to the rest of the GOP. Also, the city has become well populated with transplants from God knows where whom will almost always be more conservative relatively speaking.
Didn't know that about Detroit (and I have my doubts) but Berkeley and Oakland are definitely to the left of SF.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:32 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,925,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
No way is Detroit anywhere close to being the most liberal city in America. It has perhaps the highest percentage of registered Democrats but it's not "liberal". It's the most Democratic because it has one of the highest black percentages, lots of those are black religious Democrats. Also ask yourself how open the gay community is there.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:00 AM

1,650 posts, read 3,510,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Being a former SF resident I know that it is not as left wing as it is reputed to be, and SF, while not exactly going conservative, has gotten less liberal and leftist (and certainly to the right of the East Bay).

Is the left dead in SF?

SF Election Signals Shift to the Right - The Bay Citizen
Nothing surprising... If I have to put it in OWS terms, SF has one of the highest proportion of people who are in the 1% compared to most other cities in US. If anything, the OWS in Oakland is far bigger and more genuine than the one in SF. SF is very much of a play ground of the rich corporate types.

This by no means is a criticism of SF! It just shows that the city has done a good job of attracting the wealthy and obviously caters of their interest.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Nothing surprising... If I have to put it in OWS terms, SF has one of the highest proportion of people who are in the 1% compared to most other cities in US. If anything, the OWS in Oakland is far bigger and more genuine than the one in SF. SF is very much of a play ground of the rich corporate types.

This by no means is a criticism of SF! It just shows that the city has done a good job of attracting the wealthy and obviously caters of their interest.
In fact, the OWS in SF has drawn the same number of people as the OWS in Santa Rosa. Santa Rosa is 1/10 the size of SF and is traditionally pretty middle o the road politically speaking, so for Occupy SF and Occupy Santa Rosa to have similar numbers definitely suggests SF is not liberal or leftist. (And yes I know not everyone in OWS is liberal or leftist but most are).

Old 11-19-2011, 04:30 AM

5,242 posts, read 13,044,398 times
It's the yuppies, who are moving to SF to make lots of money rather than because they want to live in a supposed liberal utopia. The middle class in SF is being squeezed out into the East Bay, the poor are getting poorer, and that leaves a lot of yuppies and Asian minorities. The yuppies aren't really conservative, they're just not hippie-style liberals, and care about what is best for their money more than anything else. They're generally socially liberal/libertarian because they're young rather than because they're Republicans. And they aren't really tied to the area so they don't really have any devotion to local politics. Meanwhile Asian voters only vote for their guys, who aren't hippies either. There's been rich people in SF since its inception but I think they're finally starting to tip the scales politically. Honestly I've never really understood why politics in SF still clings so much to old movements from the 60's and 70's, there's not really any hippies in SF anymore and like I say a very significant part of the population is either minorities or wealthy young people. There's a lot of shabby aging liberals on old leases who still live in SF but they can't possibly make up 51% of the population or whatever would be required to so totally dominate politics in the city.

Old 11-19-2011, 05:23 AM

1,569 posts, read 2,038,660 times
I suspect that socially speaking, S.F remains extremely liberal, and probably more so than most anywhere else in the U.S. Being a financial center and quite wealthy (especially compared to Oakland or Detroit), it's probably more conservative in that regard than Detroit or Oakland (although still quite liberal).

Old 11-19-2011, 08:59 AM

16,580 posts, read 27,296,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
No way is Detroit anywhere close to being the most liberal city in America. It has perhaps the highest percentage of registered Democrats but it's not "liberal". It's the most Democratic because it has one of the highest black percentages, lots of those are black religious Democrats. Also ask yourself how open the gay community is there.
Perhaps you're right, I based that off of an older study and haven't bothered to look for a newer one. When you look at such studies of what's the most liberal, some strange places often come up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland